More S-550 fun- How Slow to load?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

More S-550 fun- How Slow to load?

Post by Silverfish » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:46 am

So I've got my Roland S-550 up and running, and I wanted to load a disk with some sounds from the sgroup archive. Great! I got my 720k floppy all set up, ready go, and I put the disk in the drive, told it to load, and 15 minutes later I'm still waiting for it to finish loading. I can't tell if it's actually been 15 minutes or not, but it's been a damn long time. Is this normal? I mean, I know they're slow, but THIS slow?

Thanks for your help!

RyanC

Re: More S-550 fun- How Slow to load?

Post by RyanC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Errgh, that's very slow! It should be closer to about a minute for a 720k disk that's filled up.

Is this the case with all disks that you've tried or have you only had the chance to try the one? Does the counter go through its countdown more than once? And does booting up your S-550 take this long as well?

In my experience, the countdown repeats a couple times if the disk has some bad sectors. Hopefully it's something simple like that in your case.

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Re: More S-550 fun- How Slow to load?

Post by Silverfish » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:03 am

Yeah, I think it's a bad disk or a corrupt image file or some such. Other disks seem to load fine. I just opened the package of disks, although they might be ten plus years old.

It did try to load the disk three times before it said "disk error", and booting NEVER takes very long.

I'll have to try a different disk and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!