The E-MU E-Synth

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
E:pp:ik
Gear: Retired: MG-1, Polysix [2,3], NL2, 106, Vostok, Microkorg, SH-5, 303 & 606, JP6, DS2, TI [2], XL1, MKS-30, Micromoog,

The E-MU E-Synth

Post by E:pp:ik » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey everyone! Quick question about the E-Synth Keyboard, not rack. Anyone have any info on market value for this? It's such a great instrument. I suspect that it's in the higher price bracket than the rack mounted samplers but I haven't got anything to go on. I'm also surprised that it's not listed on this site's pages. I expected the EIV line to be listed. Maybe there's a reason for that or I'm missing some info on E-MU that puts these samplers elsewhere...

Thanks!
EML 101, CS-30 [2], Octave Cat [2], P6 [3], MS6, Matrix 6R, MC-202, x0xb0x [2], Audity 2000, E-Synth keys, Stylophone, Synsonics, RY10, MS-20iC, Maschine

Transactions -- VSE: 4 since 2012 | Ebay: 350+ since 1998

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: The E-MU E-Synth

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:28 am

E:pp:ik wrote:Hey everyone! Quick question about the E-Synth Keyboard, not rack. Anyone have any info on market value for this? It's such a great instrument. I suspect that it's in the higher price bracket than the rack mounted samplers but I haven't got anything to go on. I'm also surprised that it's not listed on this site's pages. I expected the EIV line to be listed. Maybe there's a reason for that or I'm missing some info on E-MU that puts these samplers elsewhere...

Thanks!

E-Synths are only worth slightly more in the keyboard version, because they are a keyboard. There's also known problems with updating them to the last version of the EIV OS.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:35 pm

I have an E4K, which is just about the same machine without the preset ROM.
I love those machine but they do have a few issues such as sticky or double-triggering buttons (using an external ASCII keyboard does help). Also, as mentioned in the above post, upgrading the flash RAM on the keyboard versions from 1Mb to 2Mb (I think) involves (un)soldering, which is not the case on the rackmountable versions. With unexpanded flash memory, you're stuck with EOS 3.00b, I'm afraid. That said, it is quite good. My E4K also needs recalibrating frequently, which is a bit of a pain but then, it may be my own machine's fault.
The sampling quality and FX are very good but what I really like about the E4K is the modulation routings and the many outputs. The user interface and the way banks/presets are organised are better than Akai's in my opinion.
GC

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 am

Th E-Synth keys has the same 4mb of CPU as the rack. The E4K is a PITA to upgrade, as you wrote.

I love these machines. The sound is warm and modulation matrix is crazy.
I have the E-Synth classic rack Dance edition (with one more ROM).
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

Gear: Retired: MG-1, Polysix [2,3], NL2, 106, Vostok, Microkorg, SH-5, 303 & 606, JP6, DS2, TI [2], XL1, MKS-30, Micromoog,

Post by E:pp:ik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Strange. I'm not sure what to make of that.
I'm running EOS 4.10a & Boot 2.0a. I suppose it can be be upgraded but i should check first. Is that memory easily accessible or is it buried?

I'm inclined to keep this if it's worth so little. Semi-weighted keys, powerful routing and sound design... I'm just surprised that there isn't more info on it and that it's not more highly regarded...

Also - and apologies if this is a thorn in people's sides - did anyone ever get ZoeOS running? I thought he posted it up for free. I only got it working once on an older comp of mine but I could never replicate it. That would just open this thing right up. I always found working off the synth cumbersome.

Thanks folks
Last edited by E:pp:ik on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EML 101, CS-30 [2], Octave Cat [2], P6 [3], MS6, Matrix 6R, MC-202, x0xb0x [2], Audity 2000, E-Synth keys, Stylophone, Synsonics, RY10, MS-20iC, Maschine

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I wish I could find one... Anyways!

Go check on E-mu's site. You should find 4.62 there and it can be updated.
The memory I'm talking about is seperated between the OS, the presets and the sequencer.

The fact that you are running 4.10 proves that you can upgrade to 4.62 no problems.

I have quite a few samplers, and me E-Synth (rack) is still my favourite.

As for ZoeOS, I never managed to make it work, and the OS is so well done in these machines, I have no reason or need for a software editor. I had managed to make the demo work and it felt overwhelming and cluttered. I stll prefer the machine itself. And you are lucky because of the keyboard. Programming on a rack is a PITA.
Still, nobody can run away with my E-Synth without physical damage!

Post by E:pp:ik » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 pm

I agree. I remember that ZoeOs was just all over the place, though I can understand why he exposed everything like that. It threw everything in front of you so at least all of its 'hidden' features were in plain view. I actually liked that aspect of it.

In fairness, I never fully committed to getting my head around EOS either. I knew it was powerful. It just wasn't my central workspace. Well - if I decide to sell I know who to ask! At least we're within the same border so that would make it less painful :)

Oh yeah - so anyone know why EIV samplers aren't listed on VSE or am I just daft? Perhaps they're part of another line but I haven't found it. I'm now preparing to use the embarrassed emoticon... :)

Spadz

Post by Spadz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm

I have no idea why they are not listed... They should!

Have you ever tried making synth sounds with simple generated loops (like in TurboSynth, single cycle loops and so on)? This is what I mainly do. With the cords, you can do some really cool sounds.

Toronto is a 5 hours trip from here... not that bad!