Which sampler am I looking for?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Which sampler am I looking for?

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:39 am

gridsleep wrote:Is the sampler in the Korg Triton Rack equivalent, in audio quality at least, to the E-mu E4X Turbo? I have the Korg and I have my eye on an E-mu. There's also an E-mu E4 Platinum, but that's a bit out of my budget, for now. Why do these things always become available when they are not obtainable? It's like a bad joke.
Yes. The Triton's sampler is a very capable one, so don't worry, just get on with your music. Of course there are differences, one of them being that the Triton has a wider selesction of effects.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Hugo76 wrote:
gridsleep wrote:Is the sampler in the Korg Triton Rack equivalent, in audio quality at least, to the E-mu E4X Turbo? I have the Korg and I have my eye on an E-mu. There's also an E-mu E4 Platinum, but that's a bit out of my budget, for now. Why do these things always become available when they are not obtainable? It's like a bad joke.
Yes. The Triton's sampler is a very capable one, so don't worry, just get on with your music. Of course there are differences, one of them being that the Triton has a wider selesction of effects.
That's good news, thanks. Even more effects than the E-Mu RFX32 card? A bit premium, that one, though. That E4 Platinum that was on eBay, fully decked out with 16 outs, dual MIDI, dual SCSI, ADAT/optical, 128GB hard drive, about 40GB of sample library, the works, was going for $750. I don't think I would have needed quite that much capability. Still, it's quite a bit less than what I've invested in the Triton Rack, after I added two EXB cards (came with 1 & 2, added 3 & 5,) 32MB more sample RAM, the MOSS board and the SCSI board, probably over $1200 now. But the Triton is a great expandable synth with a sampler built in, while the E4 is the other way around, at least as far as I can figure.

That's the root of my question, though: redundancy. How much time do I have to spend researching, so I don't waste money adding something to the studio that I already have? For instance, since I have a MOSS card in the Triton, I have second thoughts about getting a Prophecy, even though I'd really love to have one just to play with (I love that XZ ribbon on the rotating drum; that's innovative.) Likewise, I have a Nova, two X-Stations (25 & 49,) and the software BassStation and V-Station, so I hesitate when I see an A-Station, a K-Station or a KS available. Yet, I have, what?, three or four romplers and a digital piano? But, they're all different, in their own way. A Kurzweil K2VX is not the same as an Ensoniq ZR-76. Even a K2VX is not the same as its sister keyboard the PC161, which I'd like to get simply because it looks sexy, in a Virus C kind of way and is supposed to have a remarkable piano. Likewise, a HALO is not the same as a ZR-76, even if it shares many of the same patches. The HALO sounds like a ZR-76, but it has the Z-Plane filters from the Proteus 2000, which you won't find in any other brand's keyboard. Everything, pretty much, has something unique about it. It annoys me when someone praises a, oh, Supernova, for example, while trouncing a Virus with juvenile mispronunciation of the name. I like them both. Is a Buchla better than a Moog? Does Waldorf have it all over Roland? Does Korg have the edge on Yamaha just because they have good KARMA? Ha, that was a trick question. KARMA will be available for the Motif RSN. Anyway, thanks again for the Zen of the simple and straightforward most common sense answer. Although, I have to admit, half the fun of laboring to create the most perfect (for me) studio is the shopping. :)
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 pm

@ gridsleep:
Yeah, I can definately relate to what you said there. If you can afford another sampler, and really want it, I see no reason you shouldn't get it. But for me, I'd rather get another synth. The Triton doesn't have more simultaneous effects, Emu's RFX beats it there, but it has more variety (and probably more simultaneous effects applied to one sample/part at a time - the Triton has a maximum of 5 inserts + 2 global, don't know about the Emu, but think it's 2 max times 16 parts..?)

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

You can get a S-330 for nothing. I paid $50 for mine, including shipping. 12 bit, fun and easy sampler that sounds good, with a cool "Page-R" clone sequencer to boot!

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Make sure you get the 404SX, not the regular 404. The improvements between them are worth the difference in price.
Reckon the 404sx would make a good 'expansion' to the EMX? I love the Korg but want to add some weird acoustic percussive samples to some of my tracks in future, I assume they run on my basically the same principle of step sequencing? So I could for example set up the 404 to trigger a sample midway through the 6th bar of a pattern on the Korg?
It looks awesome otherwise, heaps of effects, inbuilt mic, sd card, deec price..

excuse my sampler n00bness :D

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 pm

You could have the Korg trigger the 404 more easily than using the 404's primitive sequencer.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:56 am

Cant believe I didnt think of that, just set each sample to a diff midi channel yea?
excellent!