Anyone gotten Akai Disk to work in XP?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Anyone gotten Akai Disk to work in XP?

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:27 am

Subject pretty much sums it up. Been trying to use Akai Disk to get WAV files onto my S-20, but it just keeps giving me the "Not an Akai Disk" error. It also won't read disks of stuff sampled directly to the S-20 (tries to read it, then just says "Empty Disk").

I know this program is sketchy with newer versions of Windows, so I tried running it in Compatibility Mode (for '98, then tried '95) but still no dice. I'm guessing it just doesn't work with XP at all, or maybe it doesn't like my USB floppy drive?

Anyone gotten it to work with XP, or found another program that does something similar?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Anyone gotten Akai Disk to work in XP?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:48 am

How much are you willing to pay? Chicken Systems has a bunch of sampler tools that can read/write Akai formatted disks, Instrument Manager is $80.

EMXP is free and designed for EMu samplers, but claims to be able to support WAV to S1000 conversions. It requires an internal floppy on the PC and the free program OmniFlop.

Good luck...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll check those out. Seems like it might be best (and cheapest) to pick up an internal floppy drive and proceed from there.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Just got a $10 internal floppy drive off Amazon. I'll post back here if I have any luck with it, in case anyone else is trying to do something similar.