Reported problems with Korg Electribes (EMX-ESX)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Reported problems with Korg Electribes (EMX-ESX)

Post by balma » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Last week, I was playing my Electribe ESX-1

Suddenly, all the lights turned off, except for the screen. This one remains with the amber light, but no info or characters displayed. No sound. Nothing. Must mention that I was using this instrument 3-4 hours per day during the last months.

I have been browsing the web, and it seems to be this problem:

http://lb.midimonster.de/page2/esx/esx.html

It has the same symptoms described there, amber screen that slowly fades out when you turn off the unit.

Both ESX and EMX could face this problem in any moment. Any ideas or unlucky experiences with Elecrtibe's tiny fuses?

I'll try to fix it myself, but I still not sure if it´s the same problem. I have good reasons to avoid local repair shops :(

Thank you!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Re: Reported problems with Korg Electribes (EMX-ESX)

Post by Silverfish » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:47 am

I mean this with the best of intentions- Unless you're good with a soldering iron, this is a tricky operation that could cause more harm than good. I've half-successfully replaced the fuse on my ESX. I say half successfully because yes, it turns on again, but now the knobs only go from 0-64. I bunged something up. But the fuse can be replaced.

Also, I'm going to use this opportunity to complain about the ESX. It is the only music hardware purchase I regret 100%. Great concept. Great sounds. Horrible build quality, and Korg won't stand behind their product. In a few years there will be a lot of ESX and EMX in landfills. The dreaded knob jitter problem is a curse. I spent $300+ with a competent tech to get this machine fixed, and it STILL has the jitters. Renders it useless. My solution - bought an Elektron Machinedrum.

And on a helpful note, be sure to check out the Electribe Forum for lots of good info.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Thank you for the input.

Is one of the synths I use the most, I have spent years building and improving the samples databases, only to be performed on the ESX. Is my workhorse for percussions and beat loops back ups, so I must fix it.
And local stores loves to rip you off with these things....

The knobs are terrible. Same problem on the Radias. Trying to reach a specific parameter value is a pain in the a*s.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 am

i successfully replaced the fuse in mine last winter and it's been good as new ever since. if you don't feel confident enough you could send it to me and i'll solder it for you.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Thank you man, I just found somebody who already replaced it. Paid $20

I didn´t know about the G fuse problem on several Korg products until now. Anyway, I could never, ever regret about the time and money invested on the ESX-1. All synths have problems or issues, knobs, bugs, gremlins etc, etc... at any moment of their lifetime.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I have to report an annoying bug about the ESX,
when used as an external sequencer for sequencing various external gear e.g. JV2080, Pulse, SBS etc, there are hanging notes all over the place.
This happens usually when STOP is pressed while playing a pattern , somehow the note off messages are not transmitted correctly and some notes are getting stuck.(especially the notes that overlap)
Do you use electribes as external sequencers ? Does anybody else noticed this ?
It is all about sharing...

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 pm

yeah they're really bad at sending note off messages.

Anyone else get dropped notes when performing with the solo/part mute button? occasionally mine will shush up any events on step one.