Any fans of the EIIIX?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Any fans of the EIIIX?

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:56 pm

Glad of that. :)
mp3 wrote: And the thing is, you had/have to put in a lot of hours to get up to a good working speed on a hardware sampler. (Back in the day, you really didn't have a choice in the matter if you couldn't afford a $5000 computer/editing package to accompany your $2000 sampler.) You had to get to a point where you could execute button-push, data-wheel-turn sequences in your sleep.
First off, no software ever cost that much. Bias Peak was the most expensive, around £400 IIRC at the time. Actually I did a lot of work with a $30 shareware app I can't remember the name of, because it had cool effects and 12 bit dither for the Yamaha. Secondly, I am still a speed whizz on a TX16W, which with Typhoon 2000 is definitely the fastest machine ever to get a multisample mapped and going on your keyboard. And I kind of wrote the book on the ESI4000. So I can say with authority that I never found that process in any way creative. At worst, tedious, at best, mildy satisfying to the OCD. It was a necessary procedure to get the job done.

But each to his own. :)

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:58 pm

After googling around I actually found a few people that prefer the EIIIX over the EOS-samplers, soundwise ;); it´s converters are´nt as perfect as those in the EOS, in a positive sense.
Last edited by Userfriend on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mp3

Post by mp3 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:07 pm

madtheory wrote:First off, no software ever cost that much.
My bad I should have been more detailed. I was including the computer in the total price. And yes I was exaggerating a little...
madtheory wrote:So I can say with authority that I never found that process in any way creative. At worst, tedious, at best, mildy satisfying to the OCD. It was a necessary procedure to get the job done.

But each to his own. :)
I contend that that's because you were, in your own words, trying to get a multisample mapped... Which, unless I'm way off, doesn't sound to me like part of the creative process, but rather the tedium that comes before.

Whereas, for me, the sampling itself is the creative process. Capture something, rough top-n-tail, assign it to a pad or key, hit overdub, press said pad/key rhythmically. Filter and ADSR to taste. Rinse and repeat.

To each his own, without a doubt. And it makes sense, given that differing goals may be suited by differing processes. even using the same gear. Cheers! :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:34 am

Ya, sample something quickly, but that's only the initial idea. That needs developing, balancing, mixing, programming. That's not quick. Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. I think sometimes we are so enamoured of the convenience of technology that we reject the inconvenience of work.

mp3

Post by mp3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Exactly. The initial idea (and some degree of early idea development) is the point. I'm opposed to using my left brain before I have an idea going. Just doesn't work for me. That's my missed opportunity. If it was convenience I was looking for, then I wouldn't be looking for it in 25 year old tech (or new tech that emulates it)... Its conduciveness.

Of course the initial idea needs to be refined, but I'm not sure what that has to do with capturing/developing the initial idea in the first place... And fortunately, there are much better tools available nowadays for performing that part of the task.

Anyway, given that we're both applying our own filters to the subject, we could go round and round I'm sure. But in the end, you've already nailed it. To each his own.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:07 pm

OK, so, what could be quicker than drag and drop of sample into Kontakt or WHY? Then go from there. Don't like that idea? Open a new session, drop in a new sample. Thought of an idea for the previous one? Reopen session, it's all there exactly as you left it, no necessity to be organised with your floppies or SCSI drives or WHY.

find I'm actually finishing stuff, with a lot more interest in it, that I ever did with hardware samplers. If something even more convenient comes along, I'm on it. How's your productivity?

mp3

Post by mp3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:29 pm

madtheory wrote:OK, so, what could be quicker than drag and drop of sample into Kontakt
You have to have a sample prepared to drag and drop. That necessitates (1) a separate piece of software to capture the sample, (2) two separate trips through the file system, and (3) accessing several user interfaces that are less comfortable than the one I find most conducive to my workflow. Those are left brain activities, and there's still no idea going yet. And what's worse, I have to repeat that for every sample I want to add.

I'm sorry that you're not really grasping my idea of conduciveness. I dont' really know what to say.
madtheory wrote:Thought of an idea for the previous one? Reopen session, it's all there exactly as you left it,
Sounds like my MPC2500.
madtheory wrote:WHY?
Seriously?

First, I'm trying hard not to come to the conclusion that you think you know what's best for me better than I do. Second, I've tried to express what works for me and what doesn't. Third, if you don't get it, then that's a YOU problem.

My productivity: I start about 20-25 tracks in a good week. 5 or so get developed further in Ableton. 1 of them will end up as a finished song. So that's somewhere around 40-50 a year. Of them, maybe 15-20 will end up on locally/regionally distributed mixtapes, etc. I'm doing okay, but thanks for your concern. It means a lot.

Things I Love About The Internet, Episode 436: Strangers who know what's best for you.

You can go ahead and have the last word if you'd like.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 am

WHY?= "what have you"?.

I'm not trying to change your mind, that would be silly. I am enjoying that you're making me think about this in a different way. I also enjoy discussing the creative process, and I'd like to hear your stuff. It takes a long time to develop one's process, I might be guilty of being too attached to mine. Incidentally, I think Episode 436 is actually: anonymity.

mp3

Post by mp3 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:07 am

oh... :oops: I apologize, I must be turning into a curmudgeon...

It did take me several iterations of both mindset and gear to get where I had a flow going. I've been from all hardware (back when you didn't have much choice) to all software to various combinations of each. Don't really do old school samplers all that much nowadays, but I still have my ASR-10 in the closet, and I can't seem to get rid of my Akai X7000...

Anyhow, I don't really like to put my stuff up, I've had some misfortune come my way in the past (kinda disappointing to toil away in anonymity and out of the blue hear your stuff on a major label release), but when I do put something up, I'll make sure to share it here as well.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

You're very gracious, I was the curmudgeon I think! Thanks for the insight, enjoy the composing. :)

chroma17
Gear: ARP Avatar, Baldwin IKE, Chroma Polaris (broken again!), Waldorf Microwave 2, Yamaha TX81Z, MKS 50, MKS 80, ESQ1, E5000

Post by chroma17 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 pm

mp3 wrote: You have to have a sample prepared to drag and drop. That necessitates (1) a separate piece of software to capture the sample, (2) two separate trips through the file system, and (3) accessing several user interfaces that are less comfortable than the one I find most conducive to my workflow.
Actually this can all be done in one program. Record into a track, drag the resulting soundfile into the plug-in window.
But it's really down to whether working with hardware is more conducive to your creativity than staring at the computer screen. I find it more conducive to do most of the sampling and editing chores on the computer but I'm sure the reverse applies for some people.

As for the ESI vs. EIIIX, it's the ESI-32 that is the nearest repackage of the EIIIX-it only has one standard filter, and only a few added features. The ESI 2000 and 4000 add the Z-plane filters from the E4 series and a couple extra sampling features, while keeping the same hardware as the 32.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Unless the ESI-32 is upgraded to OS 3.02, which you'd need to do for SCSI to work properly. In that case it's the same as the other ESI but with half the polyphony and memory.