Deadmau5 buys a Fairlight CMI

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Deadmau5 buys a Fairlight CMI

Post by madtheory » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 pm

bochelli wrote:Do they sound like the 1st generation ones ? ive a 2x gathering dust needing looking at , as ive no plans to get fixed.
Apparently they do- there's a "goodness" knob:
http://petervogelinstruments.com.au/specs

Even a broken 2x is worth £x000. I would sell it if I was you... are you on the Fairlight Yahoo group?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:59 am

Nice, the price for a full CMI 30A system is $21,000

That's 10k less than the CMI 3 cost back in the day.

"Sound quality is continuously variable using the unique “goodness” control which spans from Series I, II, or III quality to “best possible” 36-bit floating point."

Basically means downsampling to a lower bitrate to get the old CMI effect. The CMI3 had "perfect playback". Also the software emulates other sound quirks of the old ones if you want that sound.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 am

I would have bought a Schmidt with that kind of money.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 am

Alex E wrote:I would have bought a Schmidt with that kind of money.
Yeah but hey, gotta support Aussie made 8-)

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 pm

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:53 pm

silikon wrote:The only thing I take offence to in that photo is that dreadful lamp. ;)
+1 :lol:

Is that also the patchbay of Minimoog XL peaking out too?

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

tekkentool wrote:
c-level wrote: chop it to 1/8th notes and trigger the keys randomly and youll have the skrillex remix

oops forgot the obscene 200hz boost.
>implying the insane 200hz boost on 909's doesn't sound amazing.

I for one, welcome our new square wave snare overlords.
:mrgreen: its just funny when they low pass in the drums and all you hear is - WHUUUUP - WHUUUUP

still better to find a 909 snare with a 200hz tone rather than boosting something thats not there....

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 pm

silikon wrote:The only thing I take offence to in that photo is that dreadful lamp. ;)
It seems the lamp is from the room Fairlight was showing in, and not a reflection of Deadmau5' decorating sensibilities...
http://petervogelinstruments.com.au/archives/695

I'm glad to see that kids these days are recognizing all the wonderful things that a Fairlight can offer. And there's no hardware sampler out there that can offer the user experience that a CMI 30A can offer.

That said, a Fairlight is not for everyone - they are large, a bit arcane, require one to learn what is pretty much a computer operating system that was designed in 1977. Not everyone is going to want to do that. But for those interested in such things, they are a lot of fun!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 am

silikon wrote:Joel spends all his free time pissing about on his various goodies and forgets about releasing any more albums; the world is much better off.
If only.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:12 pm

He's just waiting for the EDM fad to pass, so he can spend the rest of his life enjoying all the millions of dollars and Kat von D's cats.

foodeater

Post by foodeater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm just glad he's buying a whole bunch of modules even if he doesn't know how to use them cause it's really good for the manufacturers. :thumbleft:

And that subsidy can potentially get passed on to us too. It'd be cool if this sparked a resurgence in samplers.

Personally, I'd be throwing money at software and hardware R&D. I wonder if he is, behind the scenes?
Bitexion wrote:Also, getting new gear always triggers my inspiration to the max. Probably does with all musicians. Pro or non-professional. A new piece of gear that you have to study and learn is a great way to trigger the creative juices, and suddenly you've spent 10 hours recording stuff into cubase.

I 've spent waaaaaaaay, way, way, less money, but I quickly got to a point where new stuff was a hassle and prevented me from immersing myself to the max, which would give me the best results. Maybe he has a $20,000 patch bay that he can re-route from his iPhone. :lol: I guess he has employees to take care of a lot of the hassle!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 am

c-level wrote: :mrgreen: its just funny when they low pass in the drums and all you hear is - WHUUUUP - WHUUUUP

still better to find a 909 snare with a 200hz tone rather than boosting something thats not there....
I found out the other day that 600ml coke bottles pretty much make a 200hz doong tone when you give them a prod in the right spot . Next level snares coming at ya buddy.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

And still he trolls us all and earn $100k for each of his concerts, marries Kat von D and still has the time to buy the most awesome synths on the planet.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 pm

In all seriousness, is there anything that makes the Fairlight special in today's eyes? I've heard the sounds from it, and they're certainly retro and cool, but are you missing out on anything if you got the same samples? My favorite person to use it was Peter Gabriel, and he had creative sampling, which is what made it good. Maybe there's some UI elements that sparked creativity, or the sampling had a certain quality to it, anyone know?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 am

I think the point is to have the "feel" of the old fairlight. The white keyboard, the big box, the monochrome screen OS, the touch pen, the sequencer page..the whole deal. If not, you could argue that a VST synth with some samples would replace a vintage synthesizer. Of course it can't.

Plus there's the possibility to "downgrade" the sample rate to emulate the old sound aswell.

The Fairlight CMI 3 was basically a "perfect sampler", it didn't play the sounds back any worse quality than you recorded them. But the older ones had a special character because of the 8/16-bit sample rates.

Sort of like trying to recreate the feeling of a Hammond B3 Organ with none of the original mechanical parts, only samples of sine waves.