Deadmau5 buys a Fairlight CMI

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Deadmau5 buys a Fairlight CMI

Post by tekkentool » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 am

It does a whole lot of cool stuff really.

Look ma! No air columns!

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kushwonder » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 am

who?

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 am

Good for him! We should all be so successful, you know?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, it's good to know that electronic music CAN go mainstream and make tons of money for a little guy like Joel. He's the biggest geek I know of. And he loved Commodore computers back in the 80s and 90s just like me.

h**l, he is covered in videogame tattoos! 8-)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Who is Deadmau5?

I´m sorry for looking rather ignorant (and quite stupid at that) but I have absolutely no clue who that is. Am I getting old?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Nah - you're in the same boat as I am. About a year ago (maybe?) he was discussed on here and a few things were recommended to me. I've got one of his records (can't recall the title) and it's OK. I can see how it's popular, but it's not something I'd search out again. Bit can give you some recommendations, I'm sure or you can search You Tube: you might really dig him, as so many do.

I'm just happy to see someone who (in his live videos) obviously loves what he does get so successful.

(Even further OT): I tried to listen to Skriillex after he won all those awards to see what the fuss was about and I have to say that his music didn't appeal to me at all. The Deadmaus stuff was much more along the lines of what I would listen to.

I think the only "new" electronic dance/pop/what-have-you music that has really appealed to me in the last ten years has been Daft Punk's live album, which is mainly just the hooks of their studio albums, rammed down the listener's throats! :lol: I thought that was really well done as a concept.

I also like Richard Barbieri's stuff and Asher Fullero, though he's an aquaintance, so I may be a bit biased there. I hear bits 'n' pieces of people on here and elsewhere that do good stuff, too. It's nice to know that so many people are creating music for the simple joy of creating it!
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks for the info.

I take it it´s some kind of Dave Guetta (spelling?) type of stuff? Then I´m off.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Don't know Dave Guetta. Guess I'd better look him up?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Here's some Deadmau5 for you. He's exploded since 2008, now he runs a pretty big empire himself, making $100k for a single show in Las Vegas. Several Rolling Stone magazine interviews too.
His style is kind of old school electronic dance music, but not the horrible 90s kind with "hot lady vocals" and big supersaw sounds. More basic waveforms and simple, but very catchy compositions, usually with a catchy hook or small vocal part.

He's taken the liveshow format to heart, and tries to dazzle his audience more and more every tour. His trademark is the mouse helmet that he has many different versions of, mostly either plain or with LED screens built-in that show pixel graphics.

He's also a firm user of modular synths and analogue synthesizers in general. His studio is packed with stuff like Minimoog, Arp 2600, Macbeth M5, a wallsized modcan modular system, an EMS synth AKS and lots more.

He's protested violently about being called a "DJ", as he is playing his own music live, and uses a full 16-track live setup so can change the sound of any instrument on the fly. He's also more or less covered in vintage videogames tattoos.

If you go to a Deadmau5 show, you're guaranteed to see flashing coloured lights every time you blink for a few days.

He's also one of the music industry highest grossing artists lately.
You can't really compare him to Skrillex, as they're playing totally different styles. DM don't make dubstep, and don't use the "glitchy" format that Skrillex does. One of DM's biggest hits, Raise your Weapon, has a Skrillex dubstep part in it, that they collaborated on.

This is pretty cool also

He's also very active on twitter and social media, with over 10000 tweets.
His philosophy is that the whole EDM music "scene" has blown completely out of proportions, and he thinks it's kind of ridiculous that EDM artists can play to sold-out stadiums, but he's gonna enjoy the ride as long as it lasts and keep on doing bigger liveshows into 2013.

He does livestreams from his home studio quite often, where he'll just sit in front of the computer and chat with fans on twitter and noodle on synths or work on songs. He did that a couple of days ago, and within a minute he had over 6500 people tuned in.

That's enough fanboy gushing from me for a year.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah - I like the helmet. That's fun.

I know it's been told to me before, but EDM = Electronic Dance Music, right? Or is there some other genre name? I can't keep up with this stuff!

Clubbed recommended some stuff to me ages ago, but I can't recall what it was now.

Stabber's last two records are really good, too. I don't think he'd classify himself as being anything like Deadmaus, though.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:40 pm

He also made some headlines last year when he accused Madonna of advertising drug use in her song "MDMA", which is a common abbreviation for extasy.

To which she replied "Dear DM, from one mouse to another, I've never condoned drug use and never will".

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Bitexion wrote:One of DM's biggest hits, Raise your Weapon, has a Skrillex dubstep part in it, that they collaborated on.
I thought "Personal Jesus" or "Enjoy the Silence" were DM's biggest hits!!!???

You're going to confuse all us old-timers by referring to Deadmau5 as "DM". We're all going to think you're talking about Depeche Mode...

;^)
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Ah, sorry :) Assuming people knew this was the deadmau5 thread hehe.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 am

Bitexion wrote:That's enough fanboy gushing from me for a year.
I certainly hope so. :banghead:

;)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:56 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Don't know Dave Guetta. Guess I'd better look him up?
Man I still don't know how to feel about DG. During the guettalypse in 2009/2010 I wanted his head on a stick despite enjoying a lot of the singles released under his name earlier (e.g Love don't let me go in 05/06) since then he still does the super big stadium EDM thing but kinda has the sense to work with cool artists.

The fact he did two songs with SIA and they were both pretty huge is cool to me, titanium has the most ridiculous hook...

Sometimes I also feel like extending this nicety to swedish house mafia then I remember they did the production on swagger jagger.