E-MU Sampler as a Mellotron substitute?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: E-MU Sampler as a Mellotron substitute?

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Weirdofromouterspace wrote:Yes for the Pioneer, I'll check again for the Yamaha (although the 'no disk in drive' message reads as if the drive itself were detected?!).
Yes, you're correct. But did you try loading the Akai disc when the Pioneer was the only drive in the chain?

Interesting what that link says about PSU in the ESI32. Never knew that. Explains a lot! The ESI4000 had a fairly annoying grounding issue, always some buzz from the main outs. Great sounding machines though. There's a nice warmth to the transposing.

His adaptor for the PLCC package is very nicely made. I would trust him :)

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:24 pm

madtheory wrote:But did you try loading the Akai disc when the Pioneer was the only drive in the chain?
On second thought I'm not sure, to be honest, possibly it was behind the HDD (which I have disconnected now, since I don't need it). I'll try that anyway!
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Yes that will at least verify that the disc itself works. I had a lot of Akai discs for my ESI, and I do remember the Wizoo ones not working. Possibly same manufacturer as yours.

And you'll see the ROM version number on the ESI's screen when you first switch it on and it goes through the boot up procedure.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi,

an update, and a positive one at that. I actually heard the first Mellotron sounds from my setup a few minutes ago =D> . The Pioneer CD drive, Sampler & my Roland MIDI keyboard are a working team at last.

Somehow I currently have just one octave ranging from F# - F (I tried that with flutes and Violins+Cello, same result)[1], and the sound via the main output is very quiet (just hearable), while the sound via headphones is still not very loud, but acceptable (master volume knob is at maximum).

Anyway, I am now considering these as minor issues and will work my way though them.

It was such a relief to hear the first Mellotron sounds today *phew*.

[1] I told the sampler to 'load all' when it displayed options to choose from, and while loading the samples it displayed the separate notes for different octaves. I'll find out about that ;) .

Thanks again!
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:59 pm

Good news! IIRC in the main menu there's an output boost option, check how this is set. Also Akai sounds tend to be set at a low output, you can adjust this in the VCA menu. Or sometimes the sounds were not recorded to 0dBFS to give headroom on the S1100. So you can use the normalise function in the Sample menu to bring all 35 notes up to 0dBFS.

The mapping of the samples sounds like it was done that way to load long sounds into a small amount of memory. You can copy each of these zones into a new preset, then save one new preset with all of the octaves. Bearing in mind that a Mellotron has only 3.5 octaves!

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am

I'm getting there step by step....

The output volume is now OK. I did the 'recalibration' for the master volume, and that's fine now.

That leaves me just one final step to do until I'm happy:

The Akai format CD holds the samples for a specific sound in several 'programs' (according to the ESI-32 manual, 'programs' is the Akai word for 'presets') within one volume. Apparently the sampler loads them all - there is an option to load all programs, which I selected, and it displays the samples it is currently loading in a progress bar, plus displaying the note it is currently loading (such as "G4" or "F#5"). It does so for the entire tonal range (2 - 3 octaves, depending on the sound). The memory is 32 MB and should be able to hold the entire set of samples. They are each about 650 - 670 kB, making ~ 23 MB for a set of 35, and ~ 15 MB for a set of 23.
So I surmise all notes are actually in the memory when loading is complete.

I just haven't figured out how to distribute them evenly on the keyboard yet. All I want is each sample being played in its original pitch when I press the corresponding key on the keyboard.

The Mellotron sounds themselves are just wonderful, very authentic =D> .

Weirdofromouterspace

Re: E-MU Sampler as a Mellotron substitute? -> Akai MPX16?

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi,

I am considering replacing the ESI-32, to be honest. It's just not user friendly with all that SCSI stuff.

Does anybody have experience with the Akai MPX16 when used as follows:

- Fill an SD card with .wav samples (e.g. Mellotron)
- use these in the Akai, connect a MIDI keyboard (Roland PC200II in my case)
- and just play?

Edit: Just stumbled upon the Korg Microsampler as well. This sounds pretty much like what I want to do.
_seph wrote:It is limited, but seeing as the OP is only looking for something portable that will allow them to sample each key of their Mellotron, I don't see why it wouldn't be a near perfect solution (excluding any potential aversion to mini keys)
I just had a look at the manual, and what I read (it should be able to do this when creating banks from the original samples using the free editor software and playing them in 'sample mode', or am I mistaken here?) sounds fine to me as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by Weirdofromouterspace on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:08 am

There appears to be some issues with the MPX16 (and MPX8).

Read this thread
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 am

Hi,

thanks for that info! I have found this thread on the Korg forums in the meantime, and that sounds very much like the Korg Microsampler is what I want ;). Admittedly, the first post is exactly what I wanted to hear :D . They are affordable (between 250 - 350 Euros over here), and - upon reading the manual - obviously rather convenient to use. I downloaded and installed the free editor software yesterday just to have a look at it... looks fairly easy and understandable to me as well.

Update 03-10-2015: A Korg Microsampler (245 Euros) is now on its way to me :) .
Update 03-13-2015: It arrived yesterday ;)

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Fri May 12, 2017 4:41 pm

OK an old thread but I'm interested. I'm noodling in a space-rock band :roll: a Mellotron would be rather apt methinks. I have the Emu library Vol 7 but decided the Mellotron Banks/Presets there are not that great so I searched VSE, as it's the most sensible place to find info.

Do I need to get the Masterbits or Mike Pinder library?

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed May 17, 2017 9:24 am

blueknob wrote:Do I need to get the Masterbits or Mike Pinder library?
I obviously can't decide what you need ;), but I have the Masterbits(*) library, and use it with my Korg microSampler. Which btw. does an excellent job, plus the Korg is so small and light weighted that you can take it with you everywhere without much hassle :). The Masterbits samples are of pretty high quality imho. At least to my ears, it sounds just like an original 'tron :).

(*) There are at least two Masterbits Mellotron sample CDs, .wav and AKAI format. I now use the one with the samples in .wav format since it can be read by my computer and the microSampler editor software. When I tried my luck with the ESI-32, I had bought the AKAI format edition (since the ESI-32 can read AKAI). I sold this one again and bought the .wav edition when I got the Korg.

Did I say I just love the Korg microSampler?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

The Masterbits sounds like a "normal" M400, pretty authentic. Whereas Mike Pinder's one goes beyond the M400, but the standard flute, choir and strings sounds have an unusual attack. Also authentic, but only if you want to play Moody Blues. But then his brass sounds are way better than the normal ones!

Use both :)

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Thu May 18, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks both for your input, is this what you are referring to as the Masterbits offering?

https://www.producerloops.com/download- ... -trax.html

From reading the description I couldn't quite determine if this pack was samples of the tapes/frames in wav format so I can load into my sampler to build up an instrument.(I use that great technique as described by our Graham M in Oz, vienna/xtrakk) I'm not equipped with any modern software so anything other than WAV or SF2 is not much use to me. The list of compatible hardware/software listed is not much help, so I asked them a Q and got this:
Yes, that's right, this product includes WAV multi-samples for you to reconstruct some of the sounds included in the Mellotron. I suggest that you read the product description carefully to see what you will get with this purchase.
Kind regards,
Juan Sanchez
First half of this message seems to suggest the item is a collection of individual wav files. I'm not though impressed with the second half of Juan's reply! :roll: Like, as if I didn't read the description! I did read but it description wasn't clear... more -> :roll:

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

blueknob wrote:is this what you are referring to as the Masterbits offering?
https://www.producerloops.com/download- ... -trax.html
Yes, that's exactly the one I have (bought it as a CD though).
blueknob wrote:From reading the description I couldn't quite determine if this pack was samples of the tapes/frames in wav format
Errrrrrrmmmmm...

;)

blueknob wrote:First half of this message seems to suggest the item is a collection of individual wav files

;)

blueknob

Post by blueknob » Thu May 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks for your help there Mr.W, it's just sometimes I get bogged down with hyperbole sales people use which can often confuse the info I'm looking for. In the past when buying things like this, so many fancy words blur what's actually on offer so when it arrives, opened up and investigated only to find its not what was expected.

I think the two big hurdles I was trying to avoid was:
a) sometimes "samples" are short phrases someone has played using the said instrument.
b) the files are in a format that I can't use. I don't do that Kontakt thing etc.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

** UPDATE ***
I bought the item mentioned above, downloaded and indeed it's a ton of individual notes, all sound good, good sound level (no crappy low levels). So using Graham's technique, I made a soundfont2 in Vienna, setting the root key and key range was so eaasy. Then I uploaded the whole lot up the ESi32 in one lump! That's 22MB of 34 individual samples. The Esi responded perfectly, all the root keys and key range etc. are all set up ready to go. I then used ESiWin to copy the Esi bank from the scsi drive so now I have a backup on my PC. wow! That I guess is the prize for years of wresting with loads of gotchas.