Taking a short sample and making it long?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Re: Taking a short sample and making it long?

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:46 am

pflosi wrote:Totally overkill, isn't that what we always strive for? ;)
... Oh yea! Duh! :drinks:

zardoz677 wrote:Thanks a ton to all of you for your response! I use reason which has basic samplers which can do looping but are there perhaps not more advanced samplers out there where you could take for example a little piece of a guitar hit and turn it into a long held note but not exactlly from set loop points but somehow introduce random variations of where it starts and the speed at which its played so you get this long note that has natural movement?

I'm thinking along the lines of reasons maelstrom but where you can add your own samples. Is this what alchemy or isotope iris is for perhaps?
Did you check out shortcircuit? I've been playing with it on and off all day. It's great! It has a semi-modular routing system similar to the E6400ultra that allows you to rout modulation sources to sample start time, loop positions and loop length, in addition to all of the places you might expect like the filters and egs, tunings, etc. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it does it, and it's free, :lol: You can definitly create a long held note out of a guitar hit that has random variations in where the sample starts from, the tuning, where the loop starts and ends, etc. Otherwise, you might be after some sort of granular/sample synthesis.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:09 pm

zardoz677 wrote: for example a little piece of a guitar hit and turn it into a long held note but not exactlly from set loop points but somehow introduce random variations of where it starts and the speed at which its played so you get this long note that has natural movement?
More options-
Camel Alchemy:
http://www.camelaudio.com/Alchemy.php

Or Izotope Iris (not quite what you asked for, but it's close and very cool).

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Wow, Iris is looking very cool, hadn't heard of it before...

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Electro-Harmonix Freeze pedal. I do not have the freeze pedal, but my Big Sky also has this wonderful feature.

I would love to use Iris but I'm using an old windows XP machine until it runs in the ground.

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 pm

garranimal wrote:Electro-Harmonix Freeze pedal.
cool, didn't knew anything about this. Plus, it's not even expensive second hand.
OT
From what i saw it doesn't layers...?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:19 am

Why bother with a pedal, when pretty much any reverb plugin can be set to freeze/infinite?

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:04 pm

madtheory wrote:Why bother with a pedal, when pretty much any reverb plugin can be set to freeze/infinite?
well, in my purpose i saw that mostly to use it live and direct on stage (but from what i understand it doesn't layers, anyway i got some other pedal wich do that); yes, it was OT, sorry guys :)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:07 pm

My smart a*s answer was to press the keys all the way to the left of middle C. "Makes" the sample much longer.

;)

Really though, set loops, cross fade, reverse after crossfade (or reverse crossfade), add some LFO with a slow attack envelope with variations to pitch, amp, whatever. FX help too.

Remember, cross fading is not a crutch for shitty looping, which is an art in and of itself.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 pm

I don't think there are many samplers that have a random start loop point feature. Only one that I know is the RT Spectralis. I'm sure there are much cheaper options and methods. I like the LFO idea. Don't necessarly need random start stop if you've got a decent LFO. You might be looking more for a "chop" or "sample slice" feature too than a random start point. Yamaha RS7000 is my go to machine for everything but I'll stop there unless you want to hear more about it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:22 pm

The V-Synth can advance the start point through the transients of a sample with each new keypress... Different but I thought I'd mention it anyways. Can produce some very interesting results.

ellaguru

Post by ellaguru » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:34 pm

pflosi wrote:The V-Synth can advance the start point through the transients of a sample with each new keypress... Different but I thought I'd mention it anyways. Can produce some very interesting results.
cool, i have to try that absolutely! maybe is also on the manual?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:20 pm

On the (pcm) osc, set "playback mode" to "step" (or "event" if you wish).

P. 87 in the XT manual, no idea about the V-Synth 2... But I guess it's hardly any different.

ellaguru

Post by ellaguru » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 pm

nice! thanks

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:07 am

Emu samplers can map start point to velocity. OK, not random- but maybe better. Most of the Ensoniq samplers gave you a lot more mod options for sample start and also loop point.

ellaguru

Post by ellaguru » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:21 am

madtheory wrote:Most of the Ensoniq samplers gave you a lot more mod options for sample start and also loop point.
i have an asrx too, i have to undust it and check the manual again and see if that is possible to do with it. Thanks.

@pflosi
yes, i read rapidly on the Vsynth manual, it's the same as for on the XT