scored a couple of akai s1000's, need help learning them

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

scored a couple of akai s1000's, need help learning them

Postby smitty.west » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:34 pm

hi everyone,

first post here.
i'd never thought i own one given my ineptitude towards most electronics, but when an s1000hd + s1000pb both came up for sale locally at $100 i couldn't let that pass. picked them up last night and both are very clean; the pb will need a backlight replacement (luckily a place sells s1000 backlights for $25 locally). i'd been made aware of them through reading about some of the gear my favourite artists use (moby, aphex twin, fsol, etc.) so knew about them a bit.

a series of completely novice-- and probably embarrassing-- questions:

where do i start with this thing (focus on the s1000hd)?

are the floppy disc sound samples required or can i input audio some other way?

do i hook up my speakers to the s1000 and essentially use it as a module (with separate keyboard controller)?

i know the akai's infinitely deeper than what i'm capable of absorbing/comprehending, but learning even just the basics would be awesome.

thanks in advance, hope i can get some help on this awesome forum!

p.s. here's a photo:

smitty.west

Gear: Oberheim OB-8
Roland SH-101
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai S1000HD & S1000PB

Re: scored a couple of akai s1000's, need help learning them

Postby tallowwaters » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm not familiar with Akai architecture in the least (E-mu guy here), so take this with a grain of salt.

If you want to start making sounds immediately, just load in some disks and load samples. Those older Akais may need to have the OS loaded on start-up, not sure. You should have a disk for that as well, unless it loads from the HD, according to the order it recognizes drives.

You can input audio through an audio input in the back of the unit. Likely a 1/4" jack or two (stereo?). This is how you would directly sample your various sound sources.

Just plug the audio out into the amplification system of your choice (active speakers, PA, bass amp, whatever) and control with a MIDI keyboard and you should be off.

First and foremost though, Google Akai S1000 PDF and download the first free manual you come across.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: LC-MS/MS

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:43 am

Hi and welcome!

smitty.west wrote:where do i start with this thing (focus on the s1000hd)?

Plug the outputs to a mixer and some speakers, plug a mic into the front (through a pre? don't remember is the S1000 takes mic level) and sample yourself burping/farting/whatever else you're first tempted to. :D
smitty.west wrote:are the floppy disc sound samples required or can i input audio some other way?

Yes for the PB (the PB stands for playback only, ie no recording) but the HD has audio inputs on the right front of the unit.
smitty.west wrote:do i hook up my speakers to the s1000 and essentially use it as a module (with separate keyboard controller)?

Yep that's exactly how to use it.
smitty.west wrote:i know the akai's infinitely deeper than what i'm capable of absorbing/comprehending, but learning even just the basics would be awesome.

Here's a link to the manual and other documentation: http://www.akaipro.com/product/s1000-series#downloads

smitty.west wrote:thanks in advance, hope i can get some help on this awesome forum!

p.s. here's a photo:

Good luck with it, one of my first pieces of musical gear was an S2000, you can get a lot out of it if you put in a lot of time. Once you get sick of it you might want to just use a software sampler though, the guys you mentioned only used rack samplers back in the day because that's all that was available, if there were software samplers like there are today they would have been all over them. :thumbright:
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Congratulations! This is an awesome score!!! :welcomeparty:

Stab Frenzy wrote:don't remember is the S1000 takes mic level)
It does - The switch above the inputs, but below the volume knob on the HD toggles between 3 sensitivity settings.

offtopic wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:the guys you mentioned only used rack samplers back in the day because that's all that was available, if there were software samplers like there are today they would have been all over them.
This would really be a shame, if true, but only if they would have chosen them instead rather than in tandem. I think to a certain extent though, the former might be the case, for at least some.

Unfortunately for them, the impact of how a particular album sounds is really more important than what the artist would have done, or even why the artist did what they did. The only creative reason why one would care what FSOL did, or why they did it - to get a specific sound on for instance Accelerator - would be to retrace the path and explore new ground around the way those sounds from Accelerator sound; with the intent to make something of one's own that captures some aspects of the way they sound. If certain aspects of the sound were accidental, but lead to an awesome result, that's the perfect time to reevaluate what the artist did, and why they did it; and entertain the notion that maybe they should have cared about using old samplers, even if they didn't when they were using them!

It's colloquial of us to miss the significance of a work as it stands independently from the artist that created it. In many ways, what they would have done is immaterial. They were simply the midwives of what we are actually interested in.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby smitty.west » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:35 am

cheers, guys; thanks for the great replies.
i will dig into it this week.
smitty.west

Gear: Oberheim OB-8
Roland SH-101
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Akai S1000HD & S1000PB

Return to Samplers