Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Percivale » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 am

I was playing some mangled low-fi sound from my Korg Microsampler. Consider?

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:08 am

ellaguru wrote:two suggestions of two underrated samplers: zoom st224 and boss sp303;
Percivale wrote:I was playing some mangled low-fi sound from my Korg Microsampler. Consider?
I actually have been looking at the Sampletrak, SP series, and the Microsampler, but I don't know if I'll get any of them or not

gs

Post by gs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm

Sorry for being late to this thread... Old 12-bit samplers from the 80s... I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Korg DSS-1. Consider that one too, alongside the Mirage, E-II, and Emax I. I used to own one, and it is a real beast. It is 12-bit and allows you to bit-crush down to 8-bit, 6-bit and even 4-bit. And I think it has the best analog filters of the bunch. And let's not even get into its mammoth unison-detune mode, it will shatter your windows. I imported some Mellotron samples into it back in the day, and it sounded pretty kick-a*s.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,

Post by Chewy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52 pm

gs wrote:Sorry for being late to this thread... Old 12-bit samplers from the 80s... I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Korg DSS-1.
No problem, I'm glad people are still posting, and that you brought up the DSS-1. I was thinking the same thing a couple days ago, about how no one brought it up. I knew about a lot of the gear mentioned (and the DSS!) before I posted this topic, but I wanted some opinions on them, and maybe suggestions on gear I hadn't thought of.

I actually had/have been considering the DSS, but I already have enough gear with keys, so I was thinking of the DSM-1, but apparently it doesn't have all the features of the DSS. I do also like that the bit depth is variable, but I think I read somewhere that the bit depth just depends on how many samples you have saved.

As a general update, I have still been looking into samplers that fit the bill. Saw a Mirage rack on ebay several days ago for $400. A little expensive, but I would've gotten it if I had $400 to spend. There have been some good deals on Roland S-550s on ebay too, so I've been considering one of them, as well
Last edited by Chewy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

The DSS-1 does indeed sound fantastic, but it has a serious downside in the absurdly slow disk drive.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:27 pm

You might want to check out the volca sample and trigger it from MIDI. Otherwise everything else will be rather pricey. You could always process in your DAW though. D16 Decimort does a damn fine job of dirtying s**t up.
bonne chance

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:10 pm

I haven't looked into the specs yet, but I'm pretty sure the Volca Sample's probably 16 bit, and I don't like the whole having to use an iOS device. Thanks for the suggestion though! It isn't all bad, does seem like it could be neat, but probably not for me.

There are actually several good options I could afford, like the Mirage (probably my preference at the moment!), as the different keys versions tend to only go for like $200, since they're more abundant than the rack, the Roland S series, Yamaha TX16W (I would definitely try to find a Typhoon OS disk if I got one), Ensoniq EPS, and the Bastl Micro Granny, which obviously does have more of a focus on granular stuff, but is also 8 bit and goes for like $270 new.

But I still am trying to decide, and am checking ebay everyday in search of good deals.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:16 pm

If you're goal is to just get "that sound" and then re-sample, the Mirage is the obvious choice--getting sounds into it and editing the VCF/VCA parameters for playback is very straight forward. It's only when you try to do sample length editing, or multi-sampling that it becomes frustrating. Prices are all over the place, but these should still be available for ~$100-150.

The Korg Microsampler is also a great option if you want more options--amazing ability to resample with effects, or even reduce sampling rate live, etc. and you can obtain some serious low-sampling rate crunch easily be continuously resampling to lower rates. Not exactly the same sound as the Mirage in that sense, but pretty close overall.
Do you even post on vse bro?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:22 pm

TX16W is generally pretty hi-fi but can do very low sample rates and fairly extreme transposing. Mostly quite subtle though. The Mirage is much dirtier.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:21 am

Sir Ruff wrote:If you're goal is to just get "that sound" and then re-sample, the Mirage is the obvious choice--getting sounds into it and editing the VCF/VCA parameters for playback is very straight forward...

The Korg Microsampler is also a great option if you want more options--...
Yeah, the Mirage is my first choice right now. The UI does seem relatively limited, but as you said, for most things it shouldn't be bad. I'm not sure, but it looks like editing may be like it is with the DW-8000, which I think is a breeze to tweak: punch in parameter number, and use the value fader/buttons to change the value. However, for things like sample length editing, I agree it would be a pain in the a*s. I'll probably just try to time things right and use the auto-sample function (if it has one) to minimize editing the times if I get one.

I don't like that the Microsampler is 16 bit, but it is actually on my list of considerations (not toward the top, but still). It does seem to have some good features.
madtheory wrote:TX16W is generally pretty hi-fi but can do very low sample rates and fairly extreme transposing. Mostly quite subtle though. The Mirage is much dirtier.
Well yeah, hi-fi in comparison to the Mirage. Mirage is 8 bit and has like 30kHz max sample rate (unless you have one of those rare cartridges, which I don't want), while the TX is 12 bit. I would definitely prefer 8 bit, but 12 bit is still better (for me) than 16 bit.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am

I think anything is hifi compared to the Mirage :) I guarantee you that in a blind AB test, it would be extremely hard to tell the difference between a 50kHz 12 bit sample on the TX16W, and a 16 bit 44.1kHz on an Akai (if you're not transposing). I used to use the TX for vocal dropins and a bit of retuning back in the days of tape (we had an Akai S2000 also). It was prone to sibilance, I think due to the input filters, but it was very clean, almost bright even at 33kHz.

Typhoon OS puts it in another league, it's more than just your average vintage sampler then. There is a huge amount of mod options for synthesis, and it has a very "spiky" sound, which is great for drums. Not sure why that is- it's more than just envelope speed. My 808 and 909 kits (with no envelopes, just triggering) always sounded great on it. The ESI4000 was not as good- possibly because of its sloppy MIDI timing.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:30 am

madtheory wrote:I think anything is hifi compared to the Mirage :)
Well, there's always the Casio SK-1. I think that's maybe 3.5 bits?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:36 am

They sound about the same LOL! Pretty sure the Casio is 8 bit. I think it would be a bit of a challenge to build a true 4 bit sampler when the memory is 8 bit? Casio weren't gonna do it in a toy anyway.

SR is 9kHz and transposing is something disgusting. I have an SK5 here, I've multi-sampled (to get the disgusting transposing) some samples back into Kontakt. Very fun. Over Christmas I'm gonna bypass the anti-aliasing filters to make it even worse/ better :)

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:15 pm

madtheory wrote:I think anything is hifi compared to the Mirage :) I guarantee you that in a blind AB test, it would be extremely hard to tell the difference between a 50kHz 12 bit sample on the TX16W, and a 16 bit 44.1kHz on an Akai (if you're not transposing).
Yeah, I agree, it would definitely be hard to tell the difference there
madtheory wrote: Typhoon OS puts it in another league, it's more than just your average vintage sampler then. There is a huge amount of mod options for synthesis, and it has a very "spiky" sound, which is great for drums. Not sure why that is- it's more than just envelope speed. My 808 and 909 kits (with no envelopes, just triggering) always sounded great on it. The ESI4000 was not as good- possibly because of its sloppy MIDI timing.
Hmm, that's interesting - TX16W isn't too high on my list (but not too low, either), but I'll have to remember that
commodorejohn wrote:Well, there's always the Casio SK-1. I think that's maybe 3.5 bits?
madtheory wrote:They sound about the same LOL! Pretty sure the Casio is 8 bit. I think it would be a bit of a challenge to build a true 4 bit sampler when the memory is 8 bit? Casio weren't gonna do it in a toy anyway.
Yep, I believe madtheory is right, I think it's 8 bit. Speaking of 8 bit "toy"ish samplers, I've also been checking on ebay for Yamaha VSS-30s. It's 8 bit and kinda like the SK-1, but has more features, like an ADSR envelope. Like I said before, I may still try to get one even when I get another sampler, it looks easy and fun, and should sound nice for what I want

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:10 pm

madtheory wrote:Over Christmas I'm gonna bypass the anti-aliasing filters to make it even worse/ better :)
Let us know how that goes, or how to achieve that! I'd love to do that to my SK.
Do you even post on vse bro?