Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:38 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
madtheory wrote:Over Christmas I'm gonna bypass the anti-aliasing filters to make it even worse/ better :)
Let us know how that goes, or how to achieve that! I'd love to do that to my SK.
Yes, please do! I don't have an SK at the moment, but I'm definitely interested. I didn't even know they had anti-aliasing filters

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Walter Ego » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:48 am

Chewy wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
madtheory wrote:Over Christmas I'm gonna bypass the anti-aliasing filters to make it even worse/ better :)
Let us know how that goes, or how to achieve that! I'd love to do that to my SK.
Yes, please do! I don't have an SK at the moment, but I'm definitely interested. I didn't even know they had anti-aliasing filters
I think Madtheory is talking about anti-aliasing filters in Kontakt...

Speaking of the SK-5, I have one coming in the mail in the next couple days. Eager to put it next to my SK-1 and let them battle it out...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:57 am

Walter Ego wrote: I think Madtheory is talking about anti-aliasing filters in Kontakt...
Heh woops, that makes a lot more sense

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:52 am

Nope, Casio. Description of SK-8 mod here (same circuit as SK-5):
http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/g ... ut_mod.pdf

Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:14 pm

madtheory wrote:Nope, Casio. Description of SK-8 mod here (same circuit as SK-5):
http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/g ... ut_mod.pdf
Oh ok, so my original thinking was correct. Thanks for sharing the link, and do let us know about the difference in the sound! A before and after demonstration of the sound (maybe with the same sample) would be really cool, if you don't mind and have the time after you do the mod

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:02 pm

OK did it. Very easy. Yes the sounds are brighter, but the attack often clicks, and there's a helluva lot more background noise. Which I guess Casio engineers didn't worry about, given that the filter got rid of most of it.

If I can figure out why the line input has stopped working I'll post samples. Unless you want to hear me going "ah" into the Casio mic...

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 am

madtheory wrote:Nope, Casio. Description of SK-8 mod here (same circuit as SK-5):
http://www.warningwillrobinson.com.au/g ... ut_mod.pdf

Oops. My bad then...I guess this has something to do with how the PCM itself works to filter the data? I know only enough filter theory to be dangerous...(on the dance floor!)

Incidentally, I got an SK-5 in the mail today and putzed around with it. It's actually a lot of fun. It's more different from the SK-1 than I might have imagined, but I like it.

Also, in reference to the blog entry about the SP-1200 that Stabbers posted...

I read that and found it very interesting, armchair anthropology and all. I recently picked up an Ensoniq ASR-X for peanuts, and I think it does what the 1200 does pitch-wise fairly easily. But you don't even need to record the sample at high speed because you can sample, pitch it up and resample, then pitch it back down, add effects and resample and so on. I haven't used it much yet, and though it suffers the typical curse of all Ensoniq gear (BUGS!), it is a powerful sampler, and has the ability to add some of that stardust, even being a product of the late 90s.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I guess this has something to do with how the PCM itself works to filter the data? I know only enough filter theory to be dangerous...(on the dance floor!)
It's to do with how the audio is reconstructed from the PCM data. You need a filter at the sampling rate to remove aliasing. Or in our case, we like the aliasing so we bypass the filter. Casio's filter seems to have a gentle slope so it reaches down into the audio range and dulls the sound quite a lot. Not hard to do when the sampling rate is only 9kHz! Having tested it, I think I actually like this dull/ warm sound for everything except maybe percussion- or at least, I'll test that when I get my line input working again. I think it's operator error, I've a new audio interface :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_filter

Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:28 pm

madtheory wrote:If I can figure out why the line input has stopped working I'll post samples. Unless you want to hear me going "ah" into the Casio mic...
Oh haha, ok, that sucks the line in stopped working, hopefully it's not permanent/can be fixed
Walter Ego wrote: Incidentally, I got an SK-5 in the mail today and putzed around with it. It's actually a lot of fun. It's more different from the SK-1 than I might have imagined, but I like it.
Glad you're having fun with the SK-5! I've seriously been considering just picking up one of the VSS-30s on ebay, but the cheapest BIN price atm is $200, and I dunno if I wanna pay that much for it. If no one bids on one of the auction only listings, I may be able to get it for like $100. I also hope you're liking the ASR-X, it does seem to be pretty neat, and does indeed go for very cheap. If it wasn't 16 bit, I'd be considering it
madtheory wrote: Having tested it, I think I actually like this dull/ warm sound for everything except maybe percussion- or at least, I'll test that when I get my line input working again.
Cool, I hope the percussion ends up sounding good when you get the input working again. One of the main reasons I actually want an 8 bit sampler is for dirtying up my drums!

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 pm

The VSS-30 does a good Fairlight breathy nasal honk impersonation, hence the stoopid prices I guess. It has resampling too, right? Will post samples when I figure out the line in issue with my interface. Been making some nice sample sets for Kontakt with the Casio.

User avatar
Walter Ego
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS
Location: Near Boston

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 pm

madtheory wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:I guess this has something to do with how the PCM itself works to filter the data? I know only enough filter theory to be dangerous...(on the dance floor!)
It's to do with how the audio is reconstructed from the PCM data. You need a filter at the sampling rate to remove aliasing. Or in our case, we like the aliasing so we bypass the filter. Casio's filter seems to have a gentle slope so it reaches down into the audio range and dulls the sound quite a lot. Not hard to do when the sampling rate is only 9kHz! Having tested it, I think I actually like this dull/ warm sound for everything except maybe percussion- or at least, I'll test that when I get my line input working again. I think it's operator error, I've a new audio interface :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstruction_filter
Yeah. That makes a lot of sense. That explains how soft the edges on those samples sound even though it's a low resolution sample. It gives it a warm but almost hollow quality that doesn't just come from bit reduction.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:23 am

madtheory wrote:The VSS-30 does a good Fairlight breathy nasal honk impersonation, hence the stoopid prices I guess. It has resampling too, right? Will post samples when I figure out the line in issue with my interface. Been making some nice sample sets for Kontakt with the Casio.
Ah, I see, that could definitely be part of it. And yep! It does, if I remember correctly, so you can keep stacking more of those built in effects (Which really aren't "effects in the traditional sense), haha. I like the look and the features it offers for a compact, late 80's "toy" sampler. If I do get one, I may also have to get me a little analog filter box to run it through, that'd be cool

& alrighty, sounds good. Just outta curiosity, what format are the sets you're making for Kontakt in? Never been a huge software guy myself (at least, in terms of soft synths/samplers), although I did use some VSTs when starting out, before I got hardware

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:57 am

They're in Kontakt format. Be a bit of a pain to use if you don't have Kontakt, given that I've sampled and looped every key on the Casio (using Redmatica Autosampler and a few ounces of patience). Without Kontakt you'd have to map and loop them yourself, then figure out filter and mod settings.

But Kontakt Player is free.

Chewy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:35 pm
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by Chewy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm

madtheory wrote:They're in Kontakt format. Be a bit of a pain to use if you don't have Kontakt, given that I've sampled and looped every key on the Casio (using Redmatica Autosampler and a few ounces of patience). Without Kontakt you'd have to map and loop them yourself, then figure out filter and mod settings.

But Kontakt Player is free.
Oh, I wasn't going to try to use them, and I figured they'd be in a Kontakt compatible only format, I was just curious about what file format(s)/extension(s) it uses

That does sound like you'd need some patience, I bet they'll turn out nice

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Good crunchy, dirty, lofi samplers

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I use Kontakt compressed format rather than WAV. Either way, Kontakt saves the loop points in the preset because audio files only support a single loop point, Kontakt can have 8.

Post Reply