Volca Sample MIDI

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Volca Sample MIDI

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I've been reading up on the VS and would love to use one someday, but I had two questions hoping someone could answer:

1. Does it have a MIDI note per sample so they could be triggered from a keyboard ?

2. Does it allow batch loading of sets of 100 sounds i.e. one set for electronic music and another set for rock if you used it for different projects ?

Thanks ! Still holding out on Korg to send me a demo as "an official VSE review unit" :lol:
bonne chance

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad

Re: Volca Sample MIDI

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:52 am

EDIT- Found out it is not possible at this time :cry:

Could someone tell me if the sample would work like a chromatic key sampler..? Want to use my friends for some tracks if it is possible to use that way. :D
bonne chance

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:45 am

one sample per key? drum kit... limited, of course

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:21 am

I haven't used one but I asked this very question in a couple of groups and that is where my information comes from:

Apparently, Korg really dropped the ball on this. It doesn't allow you to play samples chromatically nor does it allow you to play them as a drum kit on one midi channel. Each sample requires its own midi channel and only plays at whatever pitch you have it set at.

Thus making it utterly useless for what I wanted to use it for. :(
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:15 am

Korg have released the Electribe Sampler for that kind of application.

The Volca Sample is more of a "HIT" machine - where you launch the sample. The box is actually really useful when you just want to play some short sample hits. I use it for vocal samples to add depth to my stuff. There's no need for chromatic play - just hit and launch the sample!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:56 am

somebedroomdj wrote:I haven't used one but I asked this very question in a couple of groups and that is where my information comes from:

Apparently, Korg really dropped the ball on this. It doesn't allow you to play samples chromatically nor does it allow you to play them as a drum kit on one midi channel. Each sample requires its own midi channel and only plays at whatever pitch you have it set at.

Thus making it utterly useless for what I wanted to use it for. :(
I think you're asking a bit much from this incredibly cheap sampler. Korg didn't drop the ball, they made something pretty amazing for a really low price, expecting it to do everything that a sampler five times the price can do is a bit optimistic.

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I don't think so. Well, playing chromatically, I'll give you that one. But the Volca Beats at least lets you play all of the different sounds on one midi channel so it doesn't seem a stretch to think that the Sample would do the same.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:52 pm

I could see chromatic playing being a stretch, but I have to agree that each hit being a different MIDI channel is dumb as h**l. Basically eliminates using it as an additional module connected to an MPC. Real shame too, because it sounds really fuc*ing good.
bonne chance

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:44 pm

If your a max 4 live user ... There is a patch that emulates chromatic use . I assume it's using the speed under cc control so probably about as accurate as using something like a single sample in fast tracker ( god I'm greeting old ) .
Anyway all speculation I've not got one yet , but hey if you do and you're a M4l user give it a go ....
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Get an Esx if you want to play chromatic samples from a groovebox.

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Man, everybody is so testy around here. :roll:

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Hello all. Man, it's been a while.

Although this is an older thread, this issue just came up for me last night. I just got the Arturia BeatStep Pro, and was wondering why one of my samples was triggering with the sequence running on channel 1. Lo and behold, the sample per channel issue.

The reason for posting is that I have a "workaround" that others might find helpful if they have (or plan on having) the BSP.

I use a "small" number of synths that require specific MIDI channels, and rely primarily on the clock - running sequences/arps within the units that have the capability to do so. I wanted to be able to trigger samples at will, as well as run sequenced sample patterns, so here's what seems to be working for me so far:

Configure the BSP Control Mode to trigger a note on channels 1-10 with respective pads 1-10. The note value does not matter for this purpose.
Set Sequencers 1 & 2 for Channels 11-14 as needed to control modules/synths set to those channels, and Drums on 15. I'm not fully versed in MIDI, so I have channel 16 reserved for the clock only instruments. I'm guessing some devices could be set for clock only internally, but that is a learning curve for me. If this is the case, you'll have 6 free channels for control use.

To test this, I ran a simple chain with the VolcaSample connected via MIDI for control, and my other Volcas daisy-chained via the native sync. It worked. I have a simple sequence running internally on the VS channels 1-6, and can trigger samples 7-10 as needed. On another sample bank, I have 10 samples configured without any sequencing. This allows me 10 samples to be triggered at will.

As for a full "live" rig. I have a 1 In 4 Out MIDI thru box coming to expand the function. In case you'd like more detail on wiring, here's the current configuration plan I have going, where => represents a MIDI cable, and -> represents the native Volca sync cable. MIDI RX Channels are in ().

BSP MIDI Out => Thru Box Input
Out 1 => VolcaSample (1-10) -> VolcaBass -> VolcaKeys
Out 2 => Evolver (14) => Virus B (11)
Out 3 => Ion (12) => MiniBrute (13)
Out 4 => RZ-1 (15) => TR-707 (15)

I do not use any software, and this configuration yields me the ability to run 2 MIDI sequences (on any of 4 devices) + drums from the BSP, and sample triggering on the VS. I can drop the VB and VK sequences in at will, relying on the VS sync output.

Hope this saves someone some headaches.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

NostalgicSoundsGuy
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Kawai Q80EX, Korg Volca Sample, Korg Volca FM, Korg Wavestation SR
Band: Dire Configurations

Post by NostalgicSoundsGuy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Chromatic key play and 1 channel sample playing, instead of all 16 is now possible with the RK-002 MIDI cable by Retrokits! :)