Could use help figuring out this Emu ESI-32 Sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: Could use help figuring out this Emu ESI-32 Sampler

Post by synthroom » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:39 pm

I think you lost the sample when you set the first key assignment - your ESI suggested G#1, and you told it C3 - at that point, see how it says "No Primary Sample"? That's where you lost the sample. It should say "001 Untitled Sample" if you have an acceptable key range.

Try letting it go with G#1 and then set upper and lower ranges (i.e let it pick the ranges) so that you keep the sample name "001 Untitled Sample" in the display. My Audition Button then plays the sample. Then set your controller to the range and try playing it via MIDI.

Interesting, my Esi-4000 has the key values of C#3, F#2, and F3 for the default values. I don't know if that can be set by default...

So the bottom line is you lost the sample when it said "No Primary Sample" when you were making key range assignments.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Ok very cool observation. I followed the steps without success but I recorded what I did so you can see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydg1qsnk1once ... 3.MOV?dl=0

I followed your steps. i discovered a step that did allow a sample to be selected. a slight deviation from your steps but it seemed like a good thing to do. filling that "no primary sample" so if you would take a look and see if there is anything else I could try.

Thanks!
Caleb

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri May 01, 2015 4:55 am

Well, we've made some progress!! At least the sample is in there.

As I said earlier, I'm new to the ESI myself! But I think it's just a matter of getting the ranges to mesh.

Have you looked through the manual? I've not looked in the ESI-32 manual, but the ESI-4000 manual in the Chapter 5, Section 6 - Place Sample, says that there are preset "templates" that can be created. I think this is why your machine and mine have different settings. To make a template, it says to place empty samples and assign the parameters, and then save the bank. I'm not sure how that works with a cold-boot of the ESI...

The "Overwrite Zone" means you are going to store the sample into the range that you just told it to use, thus "overwriting" whatever was stored there, and, so yes, even if there was nothing there previously...

Try checking out the additional info in Sample Management - Section 5 Sample Set-up: There's some more screens that cover more sampling parameters on Page 2 of Section 5. Press the right arrow button to get access. (WOW - my ESI with 128 Megs has 760.8 seconds of sampling time!!) Cursor over to the Length and you can set the time it will sample and then it will exit sampling after that time period.

The next Page over has Placement on the bottom line - my ESI is set to 10. That's how wide the transposition range is set up when you sample. Twist the knob until you get it set to ALL Keys - that will give you the widest possible range of the entire 88 note range.

I'm guessing yours is set to Placement = 1? So when you had your Base note set to G#1 and then the playback range set to C1 to C1, then you will not get any notes played as C1 is outside of a 1 note transposition range from G#1. Also I'm guessing that's why you get "No Primary Sample" when you assign the note range to C1 as there is no sample assigned to any range with that note.

Try adjusting the Placement Range, or making a note range that include the placement note (G#1).

Hopefully that works!

By the way - Have you seen this - the guy shows how to make live adjustments from the from panel for the filter:
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri May 01, 2015 3:00 pm

wow ok this is great input thank you! Yes I have the manual but didn't deeply study it.. at this point i was just trying to make sure the darn thing could just play back a sample then get deep with it. I had followed the manual to do a simple test.

Do you know if there is some way to do a factory reset? I wonder if I could do something to flush any funky past settings to make it like new..

because yea maybe this thing has some kind of weird default configuration I have to undo before a normal configuration works. I'll definitely give this a good digging and document my results. I may just need to print the manual out and dig deeper.

wow very cool video btw, would love to do stuff like that with the ESI32. I'd like to see if it's easy to program CC parameters to it. One of the things I LOVE about the ART Mach II (in spite of some of its shortcomings) is that they did an amazing job of making any effects parameter something that can be tweaked in real time via MIDI CC and pretty intuitive.

synthroom

Post by synthroom » Fri May 01, 2015 3:26 pm

I haven't found a Master Reset yet, but you should check in Master/Global, #8 - Special, #3 Headroom/Boost and make sure the headroom is set to "0". Also check #4 Main Output Format is set to analog. And then #7 Trigger Buttons and make sure the buttons are set to on and to keys that you want. Maybe run through the #1 Recalibrate and make sure the volume knob is calibrated.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri May 01, 2015 3:29 pm

oh s**t.. that headroom thing.. i think (not home but will be in a couple hours) its set to like -54 db IIRC.. (i know that's quiet!) i really didn't know what it did among all the stuff in there.. when i get home I'll go check that out for sure!

but yea i know analog is set.. not so sure about the trigger stuff. will check that as well.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri May 01, 2015 6:27 pm

MIDI cc control is limited to 4 IIRC, and it's global not per preset. But the filters are great in 3.02 you've all the Z Plane filters without control of the planes.

Um, ya, read the manual. It's a very good one.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 pm

yea per channel.. there are others but most are basically on/off kinda CC's but I could still do a lot of damage with even just 4..

Also I was reporting a false memory I guess.. headroom was +12 not -54.. not even possible to go that low.. i set the headroom to "0" so far.. didn't make a difference, but at least it's now correct. will be testing more this evening.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sun May 03, 2015 7:13 am

I'm feeling like I need to call it.. i've sat down with this thing several more times this weekend and still nothing.. i'm going through the manual following steps.. no piece of hardware should be this difficult or prone to failure (if it is actually the settings) to play back samples as a sampler.. it must be a hardware problem.

The only thing I can think of at this point is figuring out how to do a hard reset.. there is nothing in the manual on how to do this. the options outlined in this one (which groups the ESI-32 in with it) doesn't match up with my options.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... t-for-emu/

it breaks my heart to write thi... OH MY F'ING GOD I GOT IT!!!!

ok so it turns out the f**k volume needed calibration.. it was set to max and min to +10000 something.. once i set the lower and upper ranges then audition works and f**k-ing A.

sorry about all the F bombs but that was crazy...

I owe you guys a virtual beer for sure because this was the 2nd time I almost threw in the towel on this guy.. equalling the feeling of more and more wasted time with every failing attempt... thank you everyone (especially synth room) for giving me reasons to keep trying because i had all but lost hope here..

now to explore the other sonic possibilities of this thing in the future! I have to get a special scsi cable to hook my SCSI CD rom too it.. Thank you x1000!
Last edited by part12studios on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun May 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Great news, glad you got it sorted out. I knew you could get it going, and they're well worth having.
I love the Emu stuff, the filters are very rich sounding to me and once you get sampling, they're very intuitive.

The help you got here is why I love this place.
Top notch people always willing to go out of their way to help, and share their knowledge. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

synthroom

Post by synthroom » Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 pm

That's great Glad you figured it out!

I recently sent in an Emax II as it had the "scrambled megs" error when it forgets how much memory it has (mine has 8 megs and it thought it had 1 meg after rebooting one day). when it returned from service, it was way quiet - I could hear it play samples, but it was very low in volume. Doing the recal procedure fixed that right up.

Sweetwater has a lot of good info on old stuff - they even have sounds for the Kurzweil K2000 still online!

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sun May 03, 2015 11:46 pm

@synthroom yea i think the fact that this unit literally sat in this guys closet for 15 years.. who knows what could have glitched or what had been done to it before handed to me recently.

I'll check sweetwater.. one thing I'm trying to find are any classic sound libraries. Ideally free, but I realize some might need to be purchased and i don't mind as long as it's reasonable.

I've been considering getting some of the peavey sp zip and floppy disk collections out there, but I

Do you know if there is a way to aquire the turbo card? the unit I have has both expansions filled.. the digital i/o and the scsi.. but it seems like there is a third turbo card option that was available. Synthroom you asked if this is a turbo model. I'm not sure how I could know for sure. There is no "TURBO" stamped on the front of it so I imagine it's not a special model.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:47 am

Does the ESI-32 use the EIII libraries? do you have a CD drive?

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 am

it supports:

Akai S1000
Emax II

I'm using 2.1 roms. I understand there are some newer ones (3.x something?) that I may consider updating too but only if I run into trouble with my SCSI hardware (unless anyone knows of other good and if I can even find them and can afford them..

So maybe newer roms add additional formats.

I do have a SCSI CD rom but I had to order a 50 pin to 50 pin scsi cable. I own a couple of old Akai S1000 CD roms a friend burned for me years ago. I also just ordered a 100mb Zip disk and some disks to go with it as well so by this coming weekend I should be in a great place to import anything out there that works with it and start making new samples and saving them without using a floppy drive.

Thanks,
Caleb

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:02 am

Ok, i still have a set of Emu CDs around...