Hardware Sampler Question (Mostly just "why")

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Hardware Sampler Question (Mostly just "why")

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:26 am

SCSI is usually the way to go for samplers, but I've heard some horror stories about the EPS's SCSI implementation.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:41 am

commodorejohn wrote:SCSI is usually the way to go for samplers, but I've heard some horror stories about the EPS's SCSI implementation.
I must say I am actually glad and happy I don't have to deal with that SCSI stuff anymore. I had an E-mu ESI-32 for a while, and actually didn't shed a tear when I replaced it with the Korg Microsampler I use now. The ESI-32 was definitely the last SCSI using device in my life, I know that for sure 8-) ;) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Weirdofromouterspace wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:SCSI is usually the way to go for samplers, but I've heard some horror stories about the EPS's SCSI implementation.
I must say I am actually glad and happy I don't have to deal with that SCSI stuff anymore. I had an E-mu ESI-32 for a while, and actually didn't shed a tear when I replaced it with the Korg Microsampler I use now. The ESI-32 was definitely the last SCSI using device in my life, I know that for sure 8-) ;) .

Well, maybe. Y'all know SCSI is still around, right? but they call it SAS now.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Y'all know SCSI is still around, right?
Actually I didn't (I'm being serious here!). The less I have to do with computer innards, the better.

I was thus referring only to the parallel SCSI that came out somewhen in the 1990s 8-) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:11 pm

I don't believe the original EPS had the SCSI option.
It did offer the 2x and 4x memory cart which plugged into the back.

If memory serves me correct there was somebody who created a non factory expansion board that was supposed to work, but I tried to track him down one time and I think he quit offering the kit.
Maybe someone else with a better memory will know.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Tacowitch wrote:I don't know if the floppy drive is the problem, since it seems to be reading the boot disc just fine and it sounds like it should. But at the same time, I'm gonna feel like the world's biggest idiot if I buy some DSDD floppies of ebay for $20 a pack (they ain't going cheap these days) and they don't work. Is floppy storage the way to go on this thing? People who still use their EPSes sound off.
I already did sound off, and said you should get the scsi card from Straylight if you have the cash.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 pm

seamonkey wrote:I don't believe the original EPS had the SCSI option.
It did offer the 2x and 4x memory cart which plugged into the back.

If memory serves me correct there was somebody who created a non factory expansion board that was supposed to work, but I tried to track him down one time and I think he quit offering the kit.
Maybe someone else with a better memory will know.
There was an external-only SCSI option for the original EPS. the EPS 16's SCSI option had an internal port.

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:38 am

Jabberwalky wrote:
Tacowitch wrote:I don't know if the floppy drive is the problem, since it seems to be reading the boot disc just fine and it sounds like it should. But at the same time, I'm gonna feel like the world's biggest idiot if I buy some DSDD floppies of ebay for $20 a pack (they ain't going cheap these days) and they don't work. Is floppy storage the way to go on this thing? People who still use their EPSes sound off.
I already did sound off, and said you should get the scsi card from Straylight if you have the cash.
Is this preferable to the scsi interface already present in my EPS?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Just in the compatibility factor. I actually didn't realize that yours already has one. It's definitely a big plus, and makes the sampler even more useful. (I've been a long time fan of the Eps16)

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:26 am

Just wanted to add since it wasn't mentioned, besides some hilarious comment about stealing other people's music, it's still a main stay in hip hop production. El-p for example uses it for all his stuffs:
edit: oh I lied, it's the asr-10
edit 2: for good measure, the above video contains an exessive amount of swearing.

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:44 am

Oh man, guess who found a bunch of usable DSDD floppies on the free. 8-) Since I've been able to actually save samples, I've finally been getting into this thing and lemme tell you, it's been a blast. I kind of wish it had keyboard support, but hey.

While I've still got everyone, is there any way to play samples chromatically without stretching out/contracting them?

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Only way to do that is to make a sample for each key. These things didn't do time stretch.