Hardware Sampler Question (Mostly just "why")

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
seamonkey

Re: Hardware Sampler Question (Mostly just "why")

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:43 pm

What great comments. :)
btw, your link for dream in waveforms doesn't work.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Thank you! It's fixed now. I'm in the process of making changes to my online presence. It looks like I missed a few things...

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Checked out some of the stuff on your Soundcloud link,
Sounds great, very retro to me but in a good way, and your production and mixes are excellent.
Thanks for the link. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:22 am

Wow, everyone. You guys really came through on the advice. Thanks so much!

My next question is specific to the EPS: What the heck do I do about storage. Apparently it only takes 720k floppies? Is it worth it to convert a bunch of 1.44mb floppies to 720ks? Because it looks like they're pretty expensive to buy on their own. Alternatively, would it be worth it to invest in a scsi device of some kind to use with it?

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:25 am

The EPS is pretty happy with 1.44MBs thankfully, the head is up to the task of writing the HD disk medium unlike some of the other samplers off the time (S-50 etc). It'll just format them as 720K. A lot of HD floppies are also starting to get a bit sketchy now though.

I seem to remember the EPS being one of the pickier units when it comes to compatible SCSI devices, but I've personally not messed around with it.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:31 am

The problem with 1.44MB floppies is that a huge percentage of the surviving blanks were made on the cheap and don't even hold up as well as 720KB disks do. Especially beware of the designer-colors ones from the late '90s, those are usually pure c**p.

If you have a DOS or Windows 9x PC handy, do a full format on the disks first and note any ones that have bad sectors on them - if they don't go away with a second format, that's a good indicator that the media is faulty and not suitable for long-term storage.

(Sadly, it has to be DOS or 9x - later versions of Windows, while they still support floppies, no longer perform a media test when formatting them.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm speaking from my experience with the Eps16+, but I've only had a few issues using regular 1.44 floppies. It's true that they do occasionally become corrupt for no reason, but I've owned the sampler for about 7 years and have had around 3 floppies die. As far as scsi, I just installed the clone from here

http://www.straylightengineering.com/pr ... s-16-plus/

I have an Iomega zip100 working just fine with it. The clone has built in termination, which was one of the main issues with the EPS and it's picky behaviour. The factory SCSI did not have the termination. I've also heard plenty of good things about the Syquest drives.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Most of the 1.44 floppies i had die were when formatted as 720k floppies in an Amiga. (Yes, yes, i know what the actual Amiga floppy sizes were, lets not confuse people by mentioning that)

zenmasterd

Post by zenmasterd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 pm

They have SCSI right? Grab a zip drive and some disks really cheap. don't overpay on ebay, they're easy to find cheap if you wait.

Ensoniq samplers rule. just keep resampling with the internal FX and if you end up really loving it can install a floppy emulator to make life easier.

some ensoniq gear is picky about FDD and some are not. i have a $20 gotek floppy drive emulator with USB port from eBay, works on like half my samplers and the other half require a specific model FDD and thus will only work with the HxC floppy emulator. wish i had a EPS to find out :)

Tacowitch

Post by Tacowitch » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 am

Alright, so what kind of floppies would y'all reccommend? Because I keep getting "disk data corrupted" messages when trying to format floppies. I've found a couple sources that say "don't use HD floppies, use DSDD" but the disk I've been booting from is HD. Is there a specific brand you guys have found works the best?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:10 am

Tacowitch wrote:Alright, so what kind of floppies would y'all reccommend? Because I keep getting "disk data corrupted" messages when trying to format floppies. I've found a couple sources that say "don't use HD floppies, use DSDD" but the disk I've been booting from is HD. Is there a specific brand you guys have found works the best?
The 'good' brands of DSDD floppies are either gone or have been sitting around for so long they have degraded. 3M and Verbatim were generally good, but haven't been made in a decade.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:22 am

I've actually had better luck with the longevity of DSDD floppies than DSHD ones, myself.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:28 am

Most of mine are DSDD, and 3m. The few HD disks I have still work though. You're floppy drive might be on it's way out. Hard to say.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:25 am

Jabberwalky wrote:You're floppy drive might be on it's way out. Hard to say.
This is a worthwhile point; floppy drives can be sensitive little buggers. A common failure point for drives of that vintage is the drive belt, which was not uncommonly made out of that cheap rubber that degrades into sticky tar over time. Luckily, you can easily tell when this is the case by listening; if you hear the drive churning when disk access is attempted, you don't need to worry about it. (If that is one of the issues, you can get replacement belts for some keyboards on eBay for a few bucks, though it'll be an afternoon of chiseling and working over with rubbing alcohol to get the old c**p off.)

The one thing I'd do if the drive is acting up on you is remove it, pop it open, and gently work over the read/write heads with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. This will remove any built-up dust or other c**p and sometimes gets a failing drive working again.

Tacowitch

Post by Tacowitch » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:00 am

I don't know if the floppy drive is the problem, since it seems to be reading the boot disc just fine and it sounds like it should. But at the same time, I'm gonna feel like the world's biggest idiot if I buy some DSDD floppies of ebay for $20 a pack (they ain't going cheap these days) and they don't work. Is floppy storage the way to go on this thing? People who still use their EPSes sound off.