Pitching Samples

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
barra

Pitching samples

Post by barra » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,

I have a bunch of one shot samples of the Roland Juno-106 which really capture the character of this synth. However each sample is for one specific note only, for example an A3. If I wish to use a B3 in my music, I will need to pitch my sample up a tone.

To do the pitching, I first tried using Logics EXS24. However, this also time stretches the samples so you will hear that the lfo applied to the note speeds up as you pitch up. I really don't want this. I then tried using the pitcher in Logic Pro X but it really distorted the sample in an ugly way even when just pitching up by a single semitone.

Can you recommend software which pitches samples of notes without destroying the character of the original sample? It doesn't have to be a vst of course.

I have NI Battery but I haven't tried it yet for this purpose.

Thanks,

Barry

Kilroy the Killjoy
Gear: Boss: DR-202, DR-5.
E-mu: ESI-32.
Korg: EA-1, ER-1, ES-1.
Novation: K-Station.
Roland: MC-505.
Yamaha: FB-01, TX81Z.

Re: Pitching Samples

Post by Kilroy the Killjoy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:00 am

It may not be possible to do it without any kind of noticeable artifacts/distortion. You could import it into a DAW like Reaper and try all the different time/pitch shifting algorithms to see if any work well enough, but I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you. It would be best to just recreate the patches in your samples and record a sample for each individual note on the keyboard.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:44 am

This is why multisamples are used. And it's never a good idea to sample the vibrato because of the pitching problem, the vibrato is always easy to recreate on the sampler.

Do you have Kontakt? It has Time Machine, which is a pitch shifter but it's not perfect. The Roland Variphrase technology sounds better IMO.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:56 am

madtheory wrote:Roland Variphrase technology
Yeah, the V-Synth does this kinda nicely.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes it is "kinda" because it does have artifacts, but they're nice artifacts :)

ALternatively, here is a very good collection of multisamples:
https://www.particlesound.com/product/jno-i/

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Pitching samples

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:44 pm

barra wrote:Can you recommend software which pitches samples of notes without destroying the character of the original sample?
I use Audacity for this purpose. Works quite fine, at least if the intervals in question are not too wide.

Edit: Oops, I overlooked that the previous post is already a month old :oops:
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

ellaguru
Gear: juno106 korg ms20 roland vsynth yamaha an200 yamaha tx81z boss sp303 boss sp505 roland sp606 roland mc909 zoom st224

Post by ellaguru » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:15 pm

pflosi wrote:
madtheory wrote:Roland Variphrase technology
Yeah, the V-Synth does this kinda nicely.
(and the vp9000 too)