Emulator X3 Libraries question

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
chamomileshark

Emulator X3 Libraries question

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:56 pm

I have Emulator X3 and have bought a few libraries. I have a few questions

1. Is the Modern Symphonic Orchestra good? I have the Kontakt stock samples but for some reason I don't find them very playable. The demo on the site makes it hard to tell.

2. The sample packs on DSF
https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/emulator_x_products
they state that they are the ROM samples - so I assume I am better getting these in Emu X format that Kontakt as they will sound different coming out the Emu X?

3. Is the Planet Earth library (DSF) different from the Old World Instruments one on ESC (which includes New World Instruments too I think!)

4. Finally are there any other commercial sources for the Emu X libraries?

thanks in advance!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Emulator X3 Libraries question

Post by madtheory » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:42 pm

You should ask digital sound factory these questions, only they can answer definitively. They are ex-Emu employees licensed to sell the original Emu and Ensoniq libraries.

They're great sounds. I still have my EIIIx library running in Kontakt, imported from the original CDs (which are long gone). Kontakt doesn't get all of the modulation and the filters are different, and the loop points are often messed up. That can be fixed by loading the original loop from the file, but it's tedious as it has to be done for each sample manually. Would be nice to have that particular warmth of transposing that the Emu had. Kontakt is a lot cleaner and sharper sounding. Such a shame that Emulator X3 never really took off.

chamomileshark

Re: Emulator X3 Libraries question

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:35 pm

thanks for the reply, the first library is actually one of the Emu Sound Central ones, I think I might just go ahead and get it, it's fairly cheap.

I'll then ask the Digital Sound Factory as you suggest.

I get what you say about the warmth, there's definately something diferent in character when things come out of the Emu.