Rumor: New ACB(?) Roland sampler coming to NAMM 2016

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Miles Powerhouse

Rumor: New ACB(?) Roland sampler coming to NAMM 2016

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:52 am

From Gearslutz...

Roland took sampling workstations to another level with their ACB technology!

Models Include:

Emu SP-1200
Emu Emax
Emu Emax 2
Emu ESI-32
Emu ESI-4000
Korg SDD-2000
Akai MPC-60
Akai MPC-3000
Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq ASR-X
Sequential Circuits Studio 440
Yamaha SU700
Casio SK-1
Casio RZ-1
Casio FZ-1
Roland W-30
Roland SP-808
Roland SP-303
Roland SP-404

There's so much more I wish I could tell you slutz, but let's wait until NAMM 2016 for you find out.
What I did see was the video that is going to be shown at NAMM 2016 by Roland announcing the new product and probably later on YouTube like they did with their AIRA line of products.

Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming and the ACB modeling features I told you about is nothing compared to the other features they're talking about for this new hardware.

Despite anyone's opinions about ACB technology, Roland has been winning with the AIRA and Boutique lines.

Anyone who's impressed with their MPC's, Maschines and Push 2's are going to lose their minds when the NAMM presentation is made.

From the same guy who squeaked about the MPC Touch right before it was unveiled. I don't have much faith in it being "groundbreaking" by any means, but I believe it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Rumor: New ACB(?) Roland sampler coming to NAMM 2016

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:56 pm

ACB in a sampler?

Please wake me up from this nightmare.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:ACB in a sampler?

Please wake me up from this nightmare.

I think it's more along the lines of ACB-like technology. From GS:
xanax wrote:for the same reason UAD is recognised for it's circuit/component modelling of various vintage digital FX (lexicon, eventide, etc). there was a time - pre-dAW era - where digital units relied heavily on discrete components.. not to mention things like analog filters (early ensoniq, e-mu & akai) it makes sense emulating those various circuitry stages..

I'm sure it's just using the same tech to create emulations of popular sampler converters. I'm interested to see how well they get it down; if they don't get it exact I won't be phased so long as it still sounds good.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:42 pm

FINALLY it's being done. NI Kontakt has MPC-60 and Emu SP1200, dunno why they stopped there. If that's really Roland's list, it's well chosen. Those are all the really coloured ones. Funny that the Emu E4 or S-750 aren't there :)

ACB seems be much improved over previous modelling. Stands to reason- more powerful processors now.

Edit- ah right, it seems to be a drum machine type sampler. That explains the list and the omisions.

sneakthief

Post by sneakthief » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Why model the Yamaha SU-700? That era of Yamaha samplers is clean as h**l. Not much sonic imprint to speak of.
sneak-thief: raw electrofunk!
http://sneak-thief.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:58 pm

After the TX-16W disaster, Yamaha was never really a player in the sampler market. So why even bother with the SU700?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:28 pm

I can't tell if I'm gonna love this or be meh about it. Guess it'll depend on the interface/pads etc.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 am

Yamaha filters are really good. I think it's safe to assume that filters will be included in all these models.

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 am

FWIW, I always thought the SU-700 was one of the better sounding samplers out there. A very clean sound, yes, but it has a certain warmth about it. If anything, I can't see sticking resources into creating emulations of 3 different Roland SP samplers. Nothing terribly interesting about their raw sound, imo, but I wouldn't mind seeing the SP-808's timestretch algorithm being available as an effect or something.

I've been waiting for a new performance oriented Roland sampler. If they do it right (memory size and load times that are appropriate for 2015, nice pads, at least two effects blocks), my MV will be out the door right quick!
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:04 am

Interesting choices for the filters. I think it would be cool to add the Emulator II, Fairlight Series II, and the Roland S-760. Perhaps they'll have the Z-plane filters from the later Emus?

Perhaps the choices were based on actual samplers that they had on hand to use get modelling data from?
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:02 pm

That's a good point. Someone loan them a IIx, quick! ;)

Bboy235

Post by Bboy235 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34 pm

Miles Powerhouse wrote:From Gearslutz...

Roland took sampling workstations to another level with their ACB technology!

Models Include:

Emu SP-1200
Emu Emax
Emu Emax 2
Emu ESI-32
Emu ESI-4000
Korg SDD-2000
Akai MPC-60
Akai MPC-3000
Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq ASR-10
Ensoniq ASR-X
Sequential Circuits Studio 440
Yamaha SU700
Casio SK-1
Casio RZ-1
Casio FZ-1
Roland W-30
Roland SP-808
Roland SP-303
Roland SP-404

There's so much more I wish I could tell you slutz, but let's wait until NAMM 2016 for you find out.
What I did see was the video that is going to be shown at NAMM 2016 by Roland announcing the new product and probably later on YouTube like they did with their AIRA line of products.

Roland has a new 16 Pad sampler/workstation coming and the ACB modeling features I told you about is nothing compared to the other features they're talking about for this new hardware.

Despite anyone's opinions about ACB technology, Roland has been winning with the AIRA and Boutique lines.

Anyone who's impressed with their MPC's, Maschines and Push 2's are going to lose their minds when the NAMM presentation is made.

From the same guy who squeaked about the MPC Touch right before it was unveiled. I don't have much faith in it being "groundbreaking" by any means, but I believe it.

One obvious omission here Roland VP-9000 is variphrase making a comeback this time with new ACB filters and crazy modulation options now that would really be groundbreaking !

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 am

Well that's different, emulating a sampler - I suppose there is only so many synths from their back catalogue that they can exploit :lol:

Lets hope the interface isn't loaded with the dreaded gaudy LED's they've been loving so much lately.

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 am

No Emulator??

Weird

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:30 pm

with NAMM being weeks away I really do hope that Roland adds a sampler to the Aira line ...my hope has been that they release a "SP-8", which will bring back VariPhrase and finally improve upon the SP-808.

as for this "rumor" ...this is nonsense and was obviously created by someone who knows very little about samplers as that list is ridiculous.