I keep coming back to the Ensoniq ASR

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

I keep coming back to the Ensoniq ASR

Post by Hyde » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:48 am

First off...First post! I've been using the site for some time. A wealth of information that I'm happy to have available to me. Thank you!

Here's the deal. I broke down & sold off my personal studio, roughly 15yrs ago. I had an ASR88 & a Quadrasynth that I used for recording/writing/gigs. In case it makes a difference, what I write would be more experimental & often incorporates guitar, bass & vocal tracks over sequenced sounds & drums, in a direction of heavy rock(not to pigeon hole...) A couple years ago I picked up another ensoniq SQ1plus so that I could get back into doing some sequencing/programming. Maybe I have no shame but, I love the SQ1plus! I can really dig in & get some great sounds & the sequencer feels like being back at home with a home cooked meal, only....I'm now dieing for a sampler. I've done a lot of poking around & really want another ensoniq. I suppose I could be convinced otherwise but, there are a couple things leading me in this direction. #1. Ice yet to hear one that I didn't like. #2. I have a number of Zip disks from the old ASR88. I keep looking at the Mirage through EPS16 line & they are affordable. Especially with the earlier models. & they have great individual sounds to them. However, they have obvious drawbacks. Floppy disks & memory being the most prevalent. So, I end up back looking at the ASR10. But there we have stupid prices for out dated technology unless you are willing to put up with machines with problems or lots of miles. I wouldn't mind running an EPS16+ if it had SCSI. But, those aren't exactly plentiful either.
So, w/o continuing this blathering mess into oblivion, anyone have any thoughts or suggestions ?
Makin' Noises

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Re: I keep coming back to the Ensoniq ASR

Post by Calgonstudio » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Get an Akai S5000, have some fun, save up till you have enough to drop on the ENsoniq...... I've been watching these prices on some of this old outdated gear, and it amazes me what some people are willing to pay. I don't know if it's Mid age crisis for some of these ageing Rap producers , or are people starting to get away from DAW and going back to hard ware.....I mean look at Alesis HD24s 2 years ago you could pick up a good used one for 200-350(USD) now unless it's parts they are starting at 250 and ending up in the 450-600 range unless it has the EC2 boards or a Jim Williams modified they are still above 800. and don't get me started on Tascam MX2424's
Just my .02 worth

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Calgonstudio wrote:I mean look at Alesis HD24s 2 years ago you could pick up a good used one for 200-350(USD) now unless it's parts they are starting at 250 and ending up in the 450-600 range...
Seriously? Surely that's asking prices on Ebay, that just get relisted over and over?

It's seriously outdated. And was unreliable and clunky even when it was new. It was a great affordable solution at the time though, for mobile recording.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:29 pm

I went with an EPS16+ with the Straylight SCSI card
http://www.straylightengineering.com/pr ... s-16-plus/

and I also bought a SCSI 2 SD convertor.
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD

It's a solid combo that works 100%

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:56 am

Can't fault you for wanting to come back to the ASR, it's a damn nice sampler. You've made a fair point about prices too, it seems to be a bit of a buyers market. Just a thought, but since you now have an SQ1+ (also very nice!), you might have a little more luck - pricewise - keeping an eye out for an ASR rack? The SQ would be an ideal controller for it after all. I have noticed prices do seem comparable given the extra memory on the rack over the keyboard, but it was just an idea.

Whilst the floppy drive on my ASR-10 is still fine, I am starting to wish I could afford one of those SD card conversions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:36 am

The SCSI2SD is only $70. Not too bad for a pretty big upgrade. Keep in mind, you are still limited to the max size the sampler can see. So with mine, even though I have an 8gb card, it only sees around 270mb of it.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Calgonstudio wrote:Get an Akai S5000, have some fun, save up till you have enough to drop on the ENsoniq...... I've been watching these prices on some of this old outdated gear, and it amazes me what some people are willing to pay. I don't know if it's Mid age crisis for some of these ageing Rap producers , or are people starting to get away from DAW and going back to hard ware.....I mean look at Alesis HD24s 2 years ago you could pick up a good used one for 200-350(USD) now unless it's parts they are starting at 250 and ending up in the 450-600 range unless it has the EC2 boards or a Jim Williams modified they are still above 800. and don't get me started on Tascam MX2424's
Just my .02 worth
Yes, I'm having a tough time letting go of the kind of money these units are selling for. I looked at one locally that had a rough life behind it with a lot of tinkering on the inside. Point being that you just don't know what its been through & at the hands of who. Add that to the fact that you are dealing with old, slow electronics with minimal onboard memory??? Even if its maxed out... All these things considered, logic tells you $200 would be a lot of dough for a maxed out SCSI ASR10. But thats not the world we live in :-| I'm still riding the fence
Makin' Noises

Baus

Post by Baus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:13 am

What? $200 for a maxed out ASR-10? In Europe that's a bargain!!! Would not have to think about it twice.

Going prices here are actually around €350 - €450

I would still prefer that over a S5000. Actually my main sampler is the EPS-16 Plus with an amazing 2Mb of memory. It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you want large orchestral- or high quality sampled sounds then go for a S5000. I am mostly working with single cycle waveforms or creating transwaves and using the synthesis features of these models and stepped away from using ready to go bread and butter factory samples.

Mirage and EPS-16 Plus for me sampler wise.

Robin
The Netherlands

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Baus wrote:What? $200 for a maxed out ASR-10? In Europe that's a bargain!!! Would not have to think about it twice.

Going prices here are actually around €350 - €450

I would still prefer that over a S5000. Actually my main sampler is the EPS-16 Plus with an amazing 2Mb of memory. It all depends on what you want to use it for. If you want large orchestral- or high quality sampled sounds then go for a S5000. I am mostly working with single cycle waveforms or creating transwaves and using the synthesis features of these models and stepped away from using ready to go bread and butter factory samples.

Mirage and EPS-16 Plus for me sampler wise.

Robin
The Netherlands
No, I'm saying $200 would be a good price, if that were the going rate. The going rate is much higher, obviously. Too high.
Makin' Noises

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 pm

The EPS 16+ may be lower in spec, but operates pretty much the same way if that's what you're after.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:44 pm

yes, i have my eyes there, as well.
Makin' Noises

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I just got a EPS 16+ rack completely loaded. It seemed like a decent price until I received the box in the mail and discovered it had expanded memory, SCSI, and 1mb flash upgrade. Now it seems like an amazing deal. I haven't had much time to do anything with it (waiting for the weekend) but I'm mostly interested in transwaves and loop modulation.

Sadly, I can't seem to find any sounds online for this. There are a hundred freely downloadable disk images, including OS images, for my Mirage. Zero for the EPS16/ASR10. I'm not great at sampling so I was hoping to find some free disk images as jumping off points.

Baus

Post by Baus » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:30 pm

That's great to hear Abruzzi. I had a similar deal once too for the keyboard version. Seller did not know anything about it and had no clue about the meaning of "Flash sounds can not be edited" :D

What you could do to get yourself started is to load a Mirage disk into the EPS-16 Plus.

Transwaves are fun. If you want to start working with that you can just about sample anything and get to work.

Drop me a PM is you want.

Best wishes,

Robin.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 pm

I've got some CDs for the ASR10. Do you have a CD-ROM drive?
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:00 am

synthroom wrote:I've got some CDs for the ASR10. Do you have a CD-ROM drive?
Thanks. I just spent three days in SCSI-h**l. I used to do a lot of SCSI back in the day, but that was always on stuff that have top notch SCSI implementations (SGI mostly.) I forgot how complicated it could get. Also, I'm amazed how little there is on eBay. It's like its all been to the dump, and very little is left. Earlier this week, I found a bunch of .efe files on samplerzone, and used the free version of translator to burn a test disc. Tonight I was finally able to stitch together a CD-ROM drive, an external case, and the right cable (25 pin to centronics). And it didn't work. Then trying random different drives, and jumper configurations, I finally got it to load and play sounds off my test CD.

Anyway, thanks for the offer, but I'm good. I can use the files I downloaded as a starting point, just to get more familiar with the unit.