Akai s2000 Hard Drive options

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Akai s2000 Hard Drive options

Post by Hyde » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:50 pm

I just picked up an S2000. I want to run a hard drive via SCSI. I'm looking at the Zip Drive, I'm familiar with it from my ASR88 days....Years ago.... But, I'm wanting to consider others. Looks like a SCSI jazz drive can be had for the same price. Obviously the S2000 will only use half the Jazz disc but... That doesn't bother me. Anyone have any good or bad comments about the Jazz connecting to the S2000? Any other drives I should maybe consider? Just not a fan of Floppys :read:
Makin' Noises

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: Akai s2000 Hard Drive options

Post by synthroom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Yeah, floppies suck.

I've got several Jaz drives in service - one on a PC, one on a K2000VP, and one shared between a S-760 and an ESI-4000. I've had good luck with all of them. One of the Jaz disks that came with the S-760 had a damaged door and I was even able to swap the door mechanism from that disk with one from a blank disk.

The Jaz drives certainly feel more solid and better made than with any of the Zip drives I have - about 5 Zip 100, 2 Zip 250s, and I have an IDE interfaced internal Zip 750 drive. That last one is in my PC and it reads all 3 Zip formats (100, 250, and 750) and can write to the 250 and 750 disks. The model number is Z750ATAPI, and there is an internal ZIP 250 (Z250ATAPI) that can read/write 100 and 250 Meg Zips. The Internal Jaz drives were all SCSI, so it might be easier to go Zip if you want to mount a drive in a PC and not worry about SCSI in the PC.

When I went to Windows 8.1, I had to upgrade all my SCSI cards in the computer - the Adaptec 29160N works well for me with Win 8 and Win 10 even installed drivers for it. That kept my old UMax Scanner running, along with the various Zip and Jaz drives I have.

It's pretty cool if you go the Zip Z750ATAPI route as you don't need to add a SCSI card to your PC to run it and it's internal, so no Zip drive housing flopping around your PC with that one. The only catch is SCSI Zip 250 drives are hard to find and people seem to have latched on to them for connecting to old drum samplers so they go for $100+ sometimes. Go figure that one... If all you want is 100 Meg Zip disks, then get the Z250ATAPI for internal, or any of the USB Zip 250s out there for your PC.

Another option is look into the SyQuest drives - people generally have better opinions of the SyQuest hardware than they do for the Iomega gear. I've got a EZ135, an EZFlyer230, and a SparQ 1.0 GB drives for reading disks that came with various samplers I've bought over the years - I've not used them much other than to transfer samples to Zip or Jaz disks or backup into my PC. (Chicken Systems Translator works pretty well backing up to the computer and editing samples - it handles a lot of formats and can read sampler disk directly even if they are proprietary formats.)

You may want to consider this - SCSI2SD. http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD
It's a small interface card that converts a microSD card into a SCSI drive. I've got one that is due for delivery today. I plan on installing it in my EMax II to replace the 105Meg SCSI drive that's in it. The SCSI2SD can mimic 4 SCSI drives and with the help of a SD card extension cable, I plan on routing the adaptor outside the chassis of the Emax II so I can swap SD cards. The SCSI2SD card runs $65 and up, depending on how big of SD card you get with it. That's way cheaper and hopefully a lot less headache then dealing with SCSI hard disks or Zip/Jaz drives - at least that what I see from the reports of others.

If it works, I'll be getting them for the S-760, the K2000VP, and the ESI-4000 as well. I'll even see if I can get it going on my S-550, which is very picky on what SCSI hardware it will talk with. SD cards are so much easier to deal with than all the various SCSI drives!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:09 am

I had an S2000 with Jaz discs around 12 years ago and I was scared by how unreliable it was then, there's no way I'd be using one now. I would 100% be going for the SCSI2SD option.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 am

Well, here's the deal. I'm trying to deal w/o relying on a PC. I'm writing for fun, these days & I don't always have access to the computer in the house. Right now in just running a keyboard/sequencer to drive the sampler. I just want to keep it simple & run a hard drive off of the sampler. An SD card reader sounds great but, I don't think the S2000 will read more than 500mb from any one drive. If the jazz drive will work, it may be a good option. Why was iltge Jazz unreliable? Is it less reliable than a zip?
Makin' Noises

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:51 am

Well, you don't really need a computer with the SCSI2SD setup.

It's only if you want it set it up as 4 virtual drives do you need a computer. If you just want to install the SCSI2SD, you can just put a microSD card in it, put it all inside, and then it will be as if you have one SCSI hard drive. Add the SD card extender and mount the end outside the chassis, then you can easily swap cards.

Still way more reliable than a 15-20 year old disk/drive setup.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:32 am

A jaz drive is more reliable than a zip but only because a zip drive is the least reliable way of storing data currently known to man. ;)

A jaz drive is like a spinning platter from inside a hard drive, kind of put into a cartridge so it can be swapped out. So you've got the unreliability of a spinning platter drive, combined with the unreliability of a cartridge which can be removed, get dust inside, wear mechanically from repeated insertions etc.

synthroom is spot on regarding how to use the SD card. Also remember that you've only got 32MB of sample RAM on a fully expanded S2000, so even a 500MB partition is 15+ full S2000 memories.

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:53 am

My zip drive works fine. Also my jaz drive.
Use Them for 2 S2000 and a EX7 and E-mu EIIIxp

Cheers

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:02 am

Thanks everyone !
Makin' Noises

Calgonstudio
Band: Client No7

Post by Calgonstudio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Here's a HD install in to a S2000 http://www.midicase.com/s2000/index.htm
My personal experience with Zip drives is not favorable. I have iomegaJjaz drive it works but it's not really involved in my workflow, there are two guys who use my studio who love the jaz, and use it regularly with no issues.
I know Floopy's are not what a lot of people use any more, but I still use them , for root sample sounds IMHO I think they are the way to go, if a Floopy goes bad, I only lose the 3 or 4 sound samples I place on the floopy
in my edit/home music room, I have 2 s2000s one scsi out to a rorke data unit, with hot sawpable Kingston drives small IDE Hds I think one is 2 gig and the other is 4 gig. after a session, If I want to keep a longer sample of a loop I made I pull the HD out load it in to a Dell 2550 server down load the drive and store it on a back storage server.
you can also find a few different SCSI extrenal HDs for the S2000 on EBAY.
Just My .02 worth.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:05 pm

I can do a lot of things but, working with a meter & getting technical about the inside of a computer has my head spinning. Plug & play is really what I'm after, here. I've seen a lot of hard drives attached to samplers & ive searched eBay & Craigslist. It leaves me standing with my hands up. I'm not a computer tech. I'm quite comfortable running them :D I've pulled drives & replaced them but, again, not my strong suit. I get pretty lost when people start talking SCSI 1 & 2. I appreciate every piece of advice but, you'll have to be pretty specific or very patient :oops:
Makin' Noises

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Specific: SCSI2SD. Fast reliable, easy to back up. f**k magnetic storage. Stone Age stuff.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 am

madtheory wrote:Specific: SCSI2SD. Fast reliable, easy to back up. f**k magnetic storage. Stone Age stuff.
The S2000 isn't on the compatibility list.
Makin' Noises

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:15 am

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not compatible, only that no one has tried it yet. Ask them if they'll let you test it and return it. But my guess is it will work, the S2000 was always reliable with SCSI IME. Better than Emu.

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33 am

I've been trying to add internal HD or JAZ drive to my S2000 for years, but I couldn't find service manual. Link posted by Calgonstudio is very helpful, but both drives need also 12v and I don't know, where to find it on board. I've tried it twice, but all I achieved was blowing the fuses. Maybe someone here could help (other thing is, I've never get to the point, where Akai will see my HD - I've tried different models and jumper settings, but to no avail; JAZ works better here)?
I've heard horror stories about ZIP drives, but my external drive never failed me. Truth is - I don't change cartridges often (well, almost never), because my Akai was our live sampler, providing some sounds Juno 106 couldn't do, so it needed fixed set of sounds. SCSI2SD could be solution, but the price is almost cost of S2000 itself (I have similar problem with my Kawai Q80ex - FlexiDrive cost four times more than sequencer).
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:40 pm

salwa wrote:I've been trying to add internal HD or JAZ drive to my S2000 for years, but I couldn't find service manual. Link posted by Calgonstudio is very helpful, but both drives need also 12v and I don't know, where to find it on board. I've tried it twice, but all I achieved was blowing the fuses. Maybe someone here could help (other thing is, I've never get to the point, where Akai will see my HD - I've tried different models and jumper settings, but to no avail; JAZ works better here)?
I've heard horror stories about ZIP drives, but my external drive never failed me. Truth is - I don't change cartridges often (well, almost never), because my Akai was our live sampler, providing some sounds Juno 106 couldn't do, so it needed fixed set of sounds. SCSI2SD could be solution, but the price is almost cost of S2000 itself (I have similar problem with my Kawai Q80ex - FlexiDrive cost four times more than sequencer).
This will surely jinx me but, I had great experiences with my zip drive. That & yes, they are fairly inexpensive these days.
The SCSI2SD sounds like a great addition if it's plug n play but it looks to be a little more complicated than that?? Call me cheap but, I'm not into this to take on the world anymore. I've spent my time & money!!! It's just not worth it these days, with the profitability of a music career/job going through the a hole in the bottom of the bucket. I just need to put my headphones on & leave the world for an hour or two, on those rainy, snowy days when a car or bicycle ride aren't the best option. :D
Makin' Noises