EPS Advanced Application Guide - anyone?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

EPS Advanced Application Guide - anyone?

Postby blueknob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:48 pm

About 15 years ago I bought a copy of "EPS Advanced Application Guide" - I know as I still have the invoice, but I just can't remember ever seeing it. I do have a tendancy to throw away stuff that disappoints, so wonder if that was its fate. Anyway, does anyone have a link or copy of this document? I bought it at the same time as the EPS16+ Manual which I still have.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Re: EPS Advanced Application Guide - anyone?

Postby Purveyor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:58 pm

Purveyor

Band: Purveyor

Postby blueknob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:04 am

Wow thanks Purveyor, that was so quick and it looks like the document in question too!

I can see why I might have thrown it away (in disgust) as I would have been expecting "advanced" techniques not just the part of the user manual that describes the programming sections, VCA, envelopes, Wavestart etc.

My mystery solved, thanks.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:45 pm

If you wanna get advanced, try learning transwaves. Also try using the FX to create new layers by resampling them.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby blueknob » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, although I've done tuts on transwaves ;) I think though you are in the right area of what I was hoping or expecting the "EPS Advanced" might have been. I like the resampling/fx thing too, I think this is an area where Ensoniq got it right, more than wavesample playback but providing further sample manipulation within the unit. I like to see what ideas other people come up with. The only thing I haven't seen, even in the Waveboy collection is a digital parametric EQ within the FX.
blueknob

Postby Baus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 am

As far as I know all the material that was/is in the EPS Advanced Guide is included in the EPS-16 Plus' regular Musicians Manual.

I agree, get into learning Transwaves, it's fun. Actually I was just finished making a Transwave of my first synth ever... a Roland D-10 Linear Synthesizer. This synth has two 'Synth Waveforms", Saw & Square, and both can be modulated with Pulsewidth. So I sampled every stage of the Pulsewidth, cut those all down to single cycle waveforms, glued them together in Wavelab and sent it to the EPS-16 Plus using Epsilon and made it into a Transwave. So now I have a Saw wave with Pulswidth modulation in the sampler.

I love the EPS-16 Plus, I seriously never before had more fun with a sampler than with this one. Even though there seems to be no Resonance Filter, which is not completely true, when you layer for instance 4 Saw waves, detune those by fine tune a pitch (and the random parameter, then use the Brass Filter preset you can get some serious fatness. Even the digital distortion on the output of the patch sounds warm and useful.

Enjoy,

Robin
The Netherlands
Baus

Postby blueknob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 am

Geez that lust for resonant filters! Well, I believe Master Waveboy has the answer, I think on one of those effects IS a screaming resonant filter thing. I'm not sure of its file name but feel sure one exists.

I'd like to hear these new transwaves INSTRUMENTS (as Ensoniq call them), I have made many myself, I notice there isn't a new repository of files for the EPS16+ other than the now outdated SoundCentral website.
blueknob

Postby Baus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Yes, the Waveboy REZ Filter Disk is a Resonant Filter....and it's not screaming.

There is a resonant filter present in the EPS-16 Plus...it's just not in the Filter Section...

I recently made some video's demonstrating both topics and posted it on FB. When you search FB
for The Soulmade System you will find them.

Robin
Baus

Postby blueknob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Baus wrote:Yes, the Waveboy REZ Filter Disk is a Resonant Filter....and it's not screaming.

oh the one that I have does :lol:
blueknob

Postby Baus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:52 pm

To me it sounds more 'liquid' and 'cream' instead of 'scream'... but... if you say so I will have to look a bit more into it.

Thanks,

Robin.
Baus

Return to Samplers