ASR Ensoniq power problems

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

ASR Ensoniq power problems

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:56 am

Im looking at an ASR locally & the following description of the problems is what I'm looking at. Anyone have any ideas as to the problem. Trying to guage where I should be, pricewise. Thanks, Hyde

The screen never comes on. Power on, and the pair of lights in the center (by the button) flash, sometimes red, sometimes green, sometimes not at all. No other operations or functions. If you leave the power on it just sits there, no lights, disk drive, or display
Makin' Noises

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Re: ASR Ensoniq power problems

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:57 am

I should mention that the fuses have been "visually" checked.
Makin' Noises

Baus

Post by Baus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:27 am

When I buy something it needs to be at least ready to play.

Personally I would leave this one. With equipment of this age finding another display board or whatever
might be a costly and tedious affair. But.... that's just my opinion. Foremost I am a musician with a little
experience in soldering but no electronics background.

There should be enough machines out there which are ready to play.

Good luck,

Robin.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 am

I love taking on this sort of challenge, although I have the ability to repair these things. Baus makes some good points, the first thing would be to check would be the power supply with a voltmeter. For someone like me, I trace faults to component level, but with something like an ASR, board/chip (where possible) swaps can be the best way to sort the matter, which for most people isn't an option. If the item doesn't work and you yourself don't have the know-how to fix, getting a repair shop to do the job could be a lot of money which is what I assume the current owner has already done, had a quote.
When I buy faulty kit (to repair) it is a gamble, it also depends how much of the item I have seen close up. The worst option is buying online, with only a few piks and brief description by the seller, only to find when the item arrives, the internal damage is too severe to affect a repair.

So it's going to be a gamble.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am

I agree. Is why I'm asking. I tried to google similar problems & im coming up fairly empty.
Makin' Noises