sampler shopping- advice?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

sampler shopping- advice?

Postby evergruven » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:21 am

peace everybody! love this site. I'm in the market for a new sampler, wondering if you 'heads out there might have any advice to that end-

right now, I'm using a boss sp-303- great little machine, love the feel, and fx- but sample time/memory is limited, and to a lesser extent, the trigger pads are small.

I'd like to find a box that works similarly, but can store more samples- I dislike having to dump samples all the time (even with expanded megabytes, there are only four memory banks to use), and again, it would be nice to find some bigger pads to play with- maybe I could hook those up separately? MIDI?

anyway, thanks- and let me know if having any more info. would help, help-

cheers- :dj:
evergruven

Re: sampler shopping- advice?

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:56 am

SP-404SX gives you more sample time, ten sample banks instead of four, pads are the same though. You could hook up an MPD or something over midi if you wanted bigger pads.

Otherwise you could look at an MPC, but you end up with less sample time even though you have more samples, the feel is quite different and the fx aren't as good.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: sampler shopping- advice?

Postby evergruven » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:SP-404SX gives you more sample time, ten sample banks instead of four, pads are the same though. You could hook up an MPD or something over midi if you wanted bigger pads.

Otherwise you could look at an MPC, but you end up with less sample time even though you have more samples, the feel is quite different and the fx aren't as good.

yea, I've had an mpc- I dug the aesthetic, but it wasn't my thing. 404 looks like an idea worth checking out, and I will- thanks!
evergruven

Return to Samplers