Is there a new sampler synth out there that...

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Is there a new sampler synth out there that...

Postby LoboLives » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Looking at the old Synclavier systems it seems they are very hands on, same with the Emulator II with everything being out on the front panel. Is there such a sampler synth now that has a similar layout and not having to menu dive as much?

Also another question is in terms of the Sequencer recording a lot of modern 16 track sequencers won't loop a specific track over and over. I have a Roland FA-08 I'm using currently and I noticed when I want to loop a certain track, it will loop all of them over and over. Any suggestions?
LoboLives

Re: Is there a new sampler synth out there that...

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:24 pm

LoboLives wrote:Is there such a sampler synth now that has a similar layout and not having to menu dive as much?

No there is not and probably never will be again. People doing detailed sampling do it on computers. Even when those hardware samplers were around, many owners used computer editors to speed up the process.

LoboLives wrote:a lot of modern 16 track sequencers won't loop a specific track over and over. I have a Roland FA-08 I'm using currently and I noticed when I want to loop a certain track, it will loop all of them over and over. Any suggestions?

Yamaha Motif series in Song mode allows choosing looping or not looping, start point and end point (therefore the loop length) for each track individually. For example, I can have track 1 loop every bar starting on bar 11, track 2 loop every 7 bars starting on bar 16, track 3 loop every 48 bars starting on bar 35 and other tracks not loop at all. Even most DAWs cannot do this.

The Casio CZ5000 can also do this but only in step mode.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby madtheory » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:12 pm

Why not just use copy and paste in any DAW?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby LoboLives » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:37 pm

madtheory wrote:Why not just use copy and paste in any DAW?

I don't really find it inspiring and it lacks spontaneity to keep having to paste the beat over and over. I personally don't really dig working on a computer myself or editing on one. I much prefer the old push-a-button type mentality.
LoboLives

Postby LoboLives » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
LoboLives wrote:Is there such a sampler synth now that has a similar layout and not having to menu dive as much?

No there is not and probably never will be again. People doing detailed sampling do it on computers. Even when those hardware samplers were around, many owners used computer editors to speed up the process.

LoboLives wrote:a lot of modern 16 track sequencers won't loop a specific track over and over. I have a Roland FA-08 I'm using currently and I noticed when I want to loop a certain track, it will loop all of them over and over. Any suggestions?

Yamaha Motif series in Song mode allows choosing looping or not looping, start point and end point (therefore the loop length) for each track individually. For example, I can have track 1 loop every bar starting on bar 11, track 2 loop every 7 bars starting on bar 16, track 3 loop every 48 bars starting on bar 35 and other tracks not loop at all. Even most DAWs cannot do this.

The Casio CZ5000 can also do this but only in step mode.

I'm aware of that with the Fairlight and stuff but it seemed the process was...I don't know...more spontaneous and quicker? For example, sampling itself, it was automatic as opposed to having to record a sound, select file type and export it and then import it. I dunno maybe I'm just being nostalgic for no reason.

Are those the only two synths can can do that type of looping? I have a Korg Kronos, Kurzweil 200 and Roland FA-08 and while I love them I just find there's a lot of menu diving. While I don't mind it, it just becomes slightly less creatively spontaneous. I suppose with drums it would be easy to create a custom rhythm pattern and just have it loop on it's own but for other sounds it's slightly less spontaneous like I said.

Speaking of sampling: I don't know of any brass patches from Roland, Korg or any other company that really has articulations like flutter tongue or cluster stabs. I'm aware East West Hollywood Brass has them but I don't prefer to work with a VST. Is it possible to import those sounds into the Kronos or Kurzweil or is it only possible to take a sample of a single note with the VST and spreading it across the keybed.
LoboLives

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:19 pm

The Synclav was really difficult to operate. It might look like there are lots of buttons dedicated, but over time with the various upgrades and changes the buttons got assigned to multiple things. From what I've read, it seems to be a great system for people who started early with it and went through all the upgrades, and like the sound of the FM and the feel of the keyboard. But it seems outdated now. And say this as a long time Pro Tools user who knows he's gonna have to learn a new DAW fairly soon. Pain!! :)

Brass patches: Those VSTs have multiple articulations because they can access far more memory than the Roland can. Technically yes you could sample them back off the VST into the Roland, but you'd have a lot of work to do mapping out all those samples.

In answer to your first question: For sampling and sequencing together, the Electron Octatrack looks fantastic. Check out demos or ask our own Stab Frenzy, who's a big fan of it after using lots of other devices. But I don't know what style of music you do. That machine might be too techno style for you? Seeing as you asked about brass articulation.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Return to Samplers