Toraiz SP-16

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
salwa

Toraiz SP-16

Post by salwa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 am

Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Toraiz SP-16

Post by garranimal » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 pm

This is very cool. It looks a lot like MPC Touch but not chained to a laptop. Hope it has waveform display and editing like the Touch. Street price soon?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Street price 1600 euros.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:02 pm

$1800!!!!!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:52 am

I think $1,499 is actually the street price. And, yes, it looks like an MPC Touch without being chained to a computer. But with a couple of differences. The MPC will be using version 2.0 of the software, which as I understand it, will basically be a full-on DAW. And since the price is only $799, that makes it a pretty good deal. Then again, you've got that DSI analog filter in the Toraiz, but you're forced to work on the relatively small touch-screen -- there is no software. So it's a bit of a trade-off. All in all, I think the MPC is a better deal, and probably more flexible.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:04 am

The $1600 figure was based on what i could find it listed for at the time.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:38 am

Sweetwater, zzounds, and other U.S. online retailers now have it in stock. Juno has it in the U.K.

I can't believe this isn't getting more attention on this forum! As a sampler arranger and sequencer, it's probably got one of the best workflows I've ever seen. Plus, it's standalone (no computer needed) and you can actually sample with it (unlike, say, the Volca Sample).

If I could sequence external gear with the Toraiz, I'd sell my Octatrack and buy it tomorrow. (OK, I'll probably buy it tomorrow anyway. :lol:). In terms of ease of use, it seems to be miles ahead of the quirky Octatrack.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:40 pm

So I got my hands on one of these -- I couldn't resist -- and it's spectacular. The workflow is every bit as good as I imagined. Because it uses x0x-style sequencing, you can pick it up and start making beats almost instantly. The machine itself is much bigger than I imagined it would be -- it's bigger than an Elektron box, and is more like the size of a Roland TR-8. It's mostly plastic except for the faceplate, but I can live with it. The screen is big, bright, and readable. The Dave Smith filters sound good, but they're noisy when the sequencer is stopped. You can disable them entirely to eliminate that slight analog hiss, if it bothers you.

Sampling is really easy too. You navigate to the sampling page, connect your external sound source, and and you're two button-clicks away from sampling something. I sampled in a bass loop from an ARP Odyssey in one go, literally seconds after reading the manual. The sample was perfectly trimmed to one bar, ready to use. Just for kicks, I sampled a drum loop from an Akai Tomcat too, and it was very easy. OTOH, I've had my Octatrack for years, and still don't fully understand how to sample with it.

Again, the only thing missing from the Toraiz is the ability to sequence other gear via MIDI. Although I rather doubt it will ever happen, Pioneer could add this feature and basically kill off the Octatrack (and possibly the MPCs, for that matter).