V-Synth + Octatrack redundancy

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

V-Synth + Octatrack redundancy

Postby 30h5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 am

If I already have a V-Synth and Elektron sequencing capabilities, how redundant would an octatrack be if I wasn't going to be sequencing a lot of midi gear? What I am curious about is if the sampling capabilities of the octatrack and v-synth overlap to such an extent that getting an octatrack would be redundant to the sampling and sample manipulation capabilities my v-synth already has as I am considering getting one. Thanks!
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Re: V-Synth + Octatrack redundancy

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:20 am

They're kind of similar in theory, but quite different in practice. The OT sequencer is very integrated with the sample engine (as you probably know from the MD and RYTM), which means you can do cool things like have record events in the sequencer so a track can record samples while the sequencer is running and stuff like that which nothing else can do. As someone who has owned both of those, I don't think they're redundant at all. I like the sound of the OT timestretch better than the VS too.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I like the sound of the OT timestretch better than the VS too.

I love the timestretch on the VS. Do you know of any decent demos of the OT timestretch? Like, recorded from the line output of the OT, not via a mic.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby 30h5 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks Stabby. I was thinking about getting rid of my v-synth because I never use it and had thought that I would use an OT if I got one. I kind of had a change of heart and figured I should spend some time learning it because I know it's capable and versatile, but I never really clicked with it when I bought it 6 or so years ago. So, I am still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe I'll get an OT anyways... :D
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:05 am

madtheory wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I like the sound of the OT timestretch better than the VS too.

I love the timestretch on the VS. Do you know of any decent demos of the OT timestretch? Like, recorded from the line output of the OT, not via a mic.

Nah I don't really listen to demos. I just know from using them both a lot.
Stab Frenzy

Postby madtheory » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am

Oh I don't doubt you! I was hoping you knew of sons good examples, or might offer to post one yourself... :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Postby cram1960 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:41 am

30h5 wrote:Thanks Stabby. I was thinking about getting rid of my v-synth because I never use it and had thought that I would use an OT if I got one. I kind of had a change of heart and figured I should spend some time learning it because I know it's capable and versatile, but I never really clicked with it when I bought it 6 or so years ago. So, I am still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe I'll get an OT anyways... :D

I'll trade you my OT for your V-Synth.

It's my 2nd go round with the OT, and I just don't get it. The way it works (UI) just seems non-intuitive to me.
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image
cram1960

Postby madtheory » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:19 am

That's saying something, given that the V-Synth is not exactly immediate.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby john21wall » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Any specific advice for the novice
john21wall

Postby 30h5 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 am

cram1960 wrote:
30h5 wrote:Thanks Stabby. I was thinking about getting rid of my v-synth because I never use it and had thought that I would use an OT if I got one. I kind of had a change of heart and figured I should spend some time learning it because I know it's capable and versatile, but I never really clicked with it when I bought it 6 or so years ago. So, I am still trying to figure out what to do. Maybe I'll get an OT anyways... :D

I'll trade you my OT for your V-Synth.

It's my 2nd go round with the OT, and I just don't get it. The way it works (UI) just seems non-intuitive to me.

Thanks for the offer, but I actually grabbed an OT off ebay and I am going to give it a shot and keep my v-synth for now.
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:17 am

madtheory wrote:Oh I don't doubt you! I was hoping you knew of sons good examples, or might offer to post one yourself... :)

OK I've dug back through my tracks to find some examples of things that used the OT heavily, they were recorded as songs though so they aren't trying to do anything in particular to show off what it can do, I was just using it to make sounds I liked.

This track:

https://soundcloud.com/worng/pinned

Has all drums and the keyboard loop coming from the OT, with some modular played over the top.

This one:

https://soundcloud.com/worng/the-knock

Has everything except the melodic parts coming from the OT (the basslines were sequenced by the OT on the modular but was run through the OT and was recorded all in the one pass as a live take) no external effects, all from the OT.

All this going back over old stuff makes me wish I hadn't sold it now. :( I haven't really recorded anything much at all since I got rid of it.
Stab Frenzy

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Those sound really great. Thanks. Is there any timestretching anywhere on those?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Samplers