ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Mon May 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Apple Macintosh CD 300e Plus External SCSI CD ROM Drive will work with the ESI4000?

Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Mon May 23, 2016 3:31 pm

Given that mine used to work fine with the internal drive of a Performa 5400, I would think it's a safe bet that it will work. But it's a very old drive, and it uses a caddy which are really annoying in practice.
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Mon May 23, 2016 5:00 pm

There's loads of internal ones on eBay and they're cheaper but how could I use one of those with the esi? I know I'd need a scsi connector but what about power?

Kind Regards
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 pm

Just wait for an external to turn up. An internal on the ESI would be a real bodge!

Sorry, what I meant about my old system was that I had the ESI and the Mac in a SCSI chain (Emu stuff seems fairly compatible with Apple stuff). This was a pretty cool system at the time, I could use SMDI and Bias Peak, Antares Infinity, Alchemy etc. to create and edit sounds. To use the internal CD drive with the ESI I had to reboot the Mac with the CD extension (i.e. driver) removed. I made a list of my favourite software at the time:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec01/a ... emuesi.asp
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Mon May 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Aah well the CDROM drive I mentioned is an external, and as it's Apple, and as your experience says Apple and Emu seem to work well together maybe it would be a good choice?

Kind Regards
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Mon May 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Yes but as I said it's a very old drive, and it uses a caddy which is a PITA.
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Tue May 24, 2016 12:18 am

Sorry but what's a caddy? On the pics it just looks like a normal desktop sort of box, also why is a caddy a pain?

Kind Regards
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Tue May 24, 2016 11:27 am

I'd already tried googling it last night but I'm still not sure what the difference is between putting an internal one into a caddy and one that you would buy as an external desktop one? Is there no real difference? And why are they a pain?

Kind Regards
David
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Tue May 24, 2016 5:25 pm

It's just an extra step, that's avoidable if you simply buy a more modern drive. Plus, a caddy drive will always have a slower read speed, because they're always older.

Here is the official list of compatible drives:
http://emusystems.blogspot.ie/2010/08/e ... ility.html

but neither of the two drives I used to use are on it. I had a Traxdata burner and whatever was inside the Apple Mac Performa 5400 in 1998 :lol:

So it's really a case of suck it and see. No one, not even Emu systems, got to test every CD drive ever made to see if it would work. I guess you could always return the drive if it doesn't work with the ESI4000?

Here are a few cheap options I found on eBay that are without caddies. The first is a Plextor, that would be the superior machine.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Plextor-PX-12TSE ... SwcL5XM4hp
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-External- ... SwZSFXJEXE
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Performantz-Peri ... Swv0tU9Drg
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hewlett-Packard- ... SwLs5XLejv

IIRC I sold my 72MB ESI4000 Turbo with complete EIIIx and "Formula 4000" library on CD, Zip 100 drive with 12 disks, Traxdata CD burner and 4GB HD for €250 back in 2006! That lot originally cost close to €3000 :shock:

BTW if you do have all the EIIIx and Formula 4000 CDs, you're a lucky guy. It's still a great sounding collection. I use it in Kontakt a lot.
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 pm

I still have a bunch of the EIII CDs... I'd have to go look at them to get a list...
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Central VA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Tue May 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Ashe37 wrote:I still have a bunch of the EIII CDs... I'd have to go look at them to get a list...

I take it you don't use them?
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby Ashe37 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:35 pm

madtheory wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:I still have a bunch of the EIII CDs... I'd have to go look at them to get a list...

I take it you don't use them?


i made images of them and mount the images off a dvd when i need them. I sold my E IV to another vse member years ago
Ashe37
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Central VA
Real name: Unpronounceable
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby sandwich » Wed May 25, 2016 11:47 am

madtheory wrote:It's just an extra step, that's avoidable if you simply buy a more modern drive. Plus, a caddy drive will always have a slower read speed, because they're always older.

Here is the official list of compatible drives:
http://emusystems.blogspot.ie/2010/08/e ... ility.html

but neither of the two drives I used to use are on it. I had a Traxdata burner and whatever was inside the Apple Mac Performa 5400 in 1998 :lol:

So it's really a case of suck it and see. No one, not even Emu systems, got to test every CD drive ever made to see if it would work. I guess you could always return the drive if it doesn't work with the ESI4000?

Here are a few cheap options I found on eBay that are without caddies. The first is a Plextor, that would be the superior machine.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Plextor-PX-12TSE ... SwcL5XM4hp
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-External- ... SwZSFXJEXE
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Performantz-Peri ... Swv0tU9Drg
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hewlett-Packard- ... SwLs5XLejv

IIRC I sold my 72MB ESI4000 Turbo with complete EIIIx and "Formula 4000" library on CD, Zip 100 drive with 12 disks, Traxdata CD burner and 4GB HD for €250 back in 2006! That lot originally cost close to €3000 :shock:

BTW if you do have all the EIIIx and Formula 4000 CDs, you're a lucky guy. It's still a great sounding collection. I use it in Kontakt a lot.


Aaah! I only just realised why I was getting confused! I thought that 'Caddy' meant the whole enclosure!! I didn't realise it was that extra tray thing that you had to slide it in. I've never actually used (or even seen) one of those before, I must've just started using CDROM drives just after their demise. ;)

Yes I have 7 CD ROM discs that were with the ESI when I bought it hence why I want a drive. I'm not sure what exactly is on them as they have been burned by the guy I bought the ESI from, they have 'Emulator Library', 1 to 7 written on them. I can't wait to hear what's on there! The annoying thing is I sold an old SCSI drive years ago for about a fiver as no one seemed to want them anymore!!

Thanks very much for the info, I'll keep looking. That first one on eBay is ideal but the shipping is way more than the drive costs!! lol! I'll just have to wait until one crops up in UK ;-)

Actually just last night I discovered that I still have a very old Apple Powerbook that has a CDROM drive and a SCSI interface on the back. It's been in a cupboard for years and I had completely forgotten about it. I wonder if I could use that in the same way you used to? Just need the right SCSI cable.

Kind Regards
Dave
sandwich
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Postby madtheory » Wed May 25, 2016 2:52 pm

Ah OK I assumed you were in US.
sandwich wrote:Actually just last night I discovered that I still have a very old Apple Powerbook that has a CDROM drive and a SCSI interface on the back. It's been in a cupboard for years and I had completely forgotten about it. I wonder if I could use that in the same way you used to? Just need the right SCSI cable.

That looks like a much better plan. I found installers for a few music and audio things on this forum:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/

But I can't find the exact thread now.

Mac to Emu SCSI cables here:
http://www.welovemacs.com/cables-scsi-cables.html
User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Cork, Ireland
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Next

Return to Samplers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests