ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
sandwich

Re: ESI 4000 CDROM Drives

Post by sandwich » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi Tomas,

just an update on my ESI CD library problem. I was looking at the option of getting the scsi cable and using the old Powerbook but the right cables seemed pretty expensive, especially with shipping added. Then I found out that Apple released a later version of that CD 300e drive that didn’t use a caddy, so I picked one up on eBay for £30! It’s in excellent condition and works perfect so I’ve been having a play with the library that came with the ESI. It’s going to take me ages to get through them all though as I can’t help playing around with each preset!!

Thanks for all your help and advice :)

Kind Regards
David

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Awesome news, and you're welcome. Yes it's an excellent library :) Now you have me dreaming about a SCSI2SD with all of the CDs loaded on... the filters and transposing in the Emu's are excellent still.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 am

Yeah I’ve just been looking at those SCSI2SD adapters too, looks a great idea and will make it much more useable I think. I just found out the other night that that old PowerBook I have won’t boot up!! :o I was thinking I’d still need that to load other banks in that are too big for floppies, unless it’s possible to make my own CDROMS somehow??

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:21 am

I don't know what you mean about using the Powerbook to load other banks? In short, the Powerbook won't help you. You'll need an external HD, or the SCSI2SD, to save edited banks.

In my old setup, I could burn CDs on the Mac from the Zip drive, or the external 4GB HD for the Emu if I was careful about reformatting to ensure the first 700Megs got put at the start of the drive. It needed Toast 3.0 which could do a blind SCSI copy, and rebooting the Mac with Zip and CD extensions disabled (Mac OS 9).

I used to sell my upright pianos as an Emu CD. Probably still have that disc image backed up actually. So yes, it's possible to make your own CD-ROMs :)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:11 am

Yes that's what I'd like to be able to do ultimately, make my own CD roms with my own sounds on. I was under the impression that I needed an old Mac with OS9 and that old version of Toast.

What I meant about the other banks is that I have some that I got from the internet a while back but they're too big to fit on a floppy so I don't know how else to get them in there.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 am

Also, I want to make backup copies of the disks it came with asa they were just burned copies so I like to make a fresh backup of them ;-)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 am

sandwich wrote:I was under the impression that I needed an old Mac with OS9 and that old version of Toast.
That's the Mac way yes. The PC way is detailed here. That might be a cheaper/ easier option.
sandwich wrote:What I meant about the other banks is that I have some that I got from the internet a while back but they're too big to fit on a floppy so I don't know how else to get them in there.
Ah, new information! Are these disc image files? The above should work. Whether you go Mac or PC, you'll need the above to make images on SD cards for SCSI2SD.
sandwich wrote:Also, I want to make backup copies of the disks it came with asa they were just burned copies so I like to make a fresh backup of them ;-)
Very very good idea :)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Aah I see, so either way you really need to have a scsi hard drive to format, save banks on to, and then burn an image of that hard drive to CD? I was hoping that there was some sort of utility that could emulate ;) the emu disk structure that you could save banks in and then burn an image of it.

Something like Omniflop, I use that regularly with EXMP on a pc laptop to convert other emu banks to Emax 1 and then save to floppies that I pop straight into my Emax, it works great and dead easy to use ;-)

No the banks I have aren't disk images, they're a mixture of individual Emax I, Emax II, and Emulator III (I think!) banks. I know that the ESi can import Emax II as it says in the manual, just got a find a way to get them in it! ;-)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:05 pm

Aah!! I've just been looking at that Chicken Systems Translator, downloaded the trial version and it seems it does all of this, and on modern Macs and PCs. It's very expensive though, more than I paid for the ESI !!

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Tomas,

Now that I've been playing around with the CD library I can see that the discs are from a library called 'Emulator Standards' of which there are seven discs. There is the odd bank here and there that won't load for some reason, but the vast majority load just fine. Do you know this particular library? There's quite a few in there that I recognise from my Emax library ;-)

Kind Regards
David

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Yes I do. It's not called Emulator Standards, it's called the E-mu EIIIx library. There are 8 discs in total. "Emulator Standards 1" and "More Emulator Standards" are two of them. A really nice collection of sounds, but missing the odd lovely sound from the Emax library, and none of the classics from the EII library. The Orchestral and World sounds still stand up today, really beautiful. The Mellotrons on the Vintage disc are good to have around. Good Hammond on that too. The Vintage Synths are good but with virtual synths now it has been surpassed. If you're missing the Sound FX disc that's OK, it's really not useful at all.

Interestingly, a lot of the material comes from the original Emulator sessions, recorded on Sony F1. You'll see some of the sounds have the odd sample rate of 44050Hz instead of 44100Hz because they're taken digitally off the tape. That's the giveaway. For example, the stunning hammered dulcimer on the world disc. Apparently those tapes went missing a while back, which is a shame! But we still have those beautiful sounds. It's really impressive what those sound designers did back in the day. It really helped the EII factory library that there were tons of contributions from users- all those talented musicians and producers who were good enough to earn enough money to afford an EII!!

There are some more discs for the ESI called Formula 4000. Mostly new versions of the EIIIx material reprogrammed for the ESI series. Mainly fixing some velocity crossfade issues and making use of the effects.

Edit: actually I think that beautiful hammered dulcimer in full stereo with the strange sample rate is in the Formula 4000 world disc. The other dulcimers you will find are cut down versions of it.

http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emus-o ... 9.php.html

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:45 am

Aah right, I guess the guy I bought it from must have made his own collections as these are not actual factory CD Roms but burned copies and he's named the seven discs as "Emulator Standards" Volumes 1-7! God knows where they've all come from!

I'd love to see a definitive list of all the banks in the libraries that the Emulator I and Emulator II actually shipped with. More out of nostalgic curiosity than anything, I'd just like to see what appeared where and when. I've always thought that Emu made a new library for each new sampler but it's obvious some classic sounds were used multiple times.

I know the Emax library well as I bought mine second hand but in mint condition just as the Emax II came out. Luckily it had about 95% of its library still with it and there were also some discs called the "Gold Series" which I believe were from the Emax II library.

David

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:19 am

I have a set of burned "discs" (on a data disc) too called emulator standards, which is probably incorrectly named. The world percussion disc is corrupt, which is a shame since that's one of the discs I would be most interested in! Did they ever rename the set, or is it possible there''s a single dodgy source for these? My data disc has wav files on it. It came free with my ESI... Or was it in the box with my S2000?? :?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:28 pm

ninja6485 wrote:The world percussion disc is corrupt
That's a shame! But...
ninja6485 wrote:Did they ever rename the set

Kind of- the Formula 4000 "Emu Earth Tones" disc has the same percussion sounds with tweaks for the ESI series.
ninja6485 wrote:or is it possible there''s a single dodgy source for these?
Mos def. It's really annoying that people can't/ won't type/ read.