OS9 options for SMDI file transfers for Akai S612

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
part12studios

OS9 options for SMDI file transfers for Akai S612

Post by part12studios » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using a G4 with Digital Performer and I own an Akai S612. I don't have the floppy drive system and would rather not due to size and rarity of the media.. so a buddy of mine has sample wrench for pc which does the trick, but i figured maybe there were some programs of the PPC generation that could do this as well?

I don't have Peak (yet) but wonder if it or other programs were able to do this kind of function. I do have Unisyn 1.5 but it doesn't directly support the S612, but maybe it has a generic SMDI feature? Studio's in a bit of disarray as I'm remodeling/restructuring it but I had this question and wanted to post it to see what I might want to hunt for while I'm not in there rewiring everything :)

Thanks!
Caleb
Last edited by part12studios on Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: G4 OS9 options for SMDI file transfers for Akai 612

Post by synthroom » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 am

Caleb - what about Midi Sample Wrench for your Amiga? I seem to remember it have the functions.
Windows version here - http://www.dissidents.com/products.htm I seem to remember there being an Amiga version as well. http://www.dissidents.com/frequent.htm# ... 20samplers

Jim Atwood has some goog things to say about the S-612 and also ROM versions and sample dumps:
https://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2014/07 ... er-review/

It looks like it depends on your ROM version.

And SMDI is transfer over SCSI. The S-612 doesn't have SCSI. You just want regular MIDI sample dump standard (SDS)transfer. http://www.buildorbuy.org/smdi.html
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

part12studios

Re: G4 OS9 options for SMDI file transfers for Akai 612

Post by part12studios » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:34 am

yes i have thought about the amiga option.. but i haven't tried yet.. since i'm using the MTP AV's I should be able to route specific midi in/outs for the amiga without the use of the G4.. so yea that could work out great.

but still i'm thinking the amiga is now a secondary computer.. so keeping everything on the G4 as much as possible would be ideal.. :)

Ah yes I've seen Jim's page. I bought the rom upgrade based on this page. I found a 2.0 rom for sale on ebay awhile back when i got it. I'm kinda interested in the mod chip thing but it's a serious commitment and i'm not sure i need that much control at this time.. BUT.. I do think I may need to resolder the slider points because while its in really good shape.. the slider stop / start points do act a little quirky..

part12studios

Re: OS9 options for SMDI file transfers for Akai 612 (resolv

Post by part12studios » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:50 am

Also (thought I haven't actually got this working yet) I have got my hands on Recycle 2.0 for OS9 which is made for samplers and even supports SCSI sample transfer and SMDI. I did some initial testing without success but it was a quick pass and I don't feel I exhausted all of the options Recycle had.

Baus

Post by Baus » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 am

I am not sure if Recycle is going to work.

As far as I know Recycle works with either 16-bit or 24-bit files.... the S612 is a 12-bit sampler.

Even when I import an 8-Bit file into Recycle it automatically switches to 16-bit.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:51 pm

hmmm yea @baus I hadn't thought of that, bit type being a problem. so the only options I know that work from first hand knowledge is sample wrench for pc. has anyone on a mac (OSX or OS9) been able to send files to / from the S612?