Modern Keyboard Sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Modern Keyboard Sampler

Post by CROYBOY89 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey all,

I haven't posted on this board for a while, but I could use your help on some sampling issues. I searched the forums before I posted, looking for some answers, but I am hoping to get some more specific feedback from this post.

I am trying to find a way to play my old sounds from my old DAWS without having to do it via MIDI. I have all kinds of old sounds and recordings on my older computer, and older DAWS, but my computers and interfaces are pretty outdated and unreliable. I would like to be able to sample/record those sounds on to a sampler so I can play them live. (Like an Emulator II or Emax) but on a more modern format. I know that there are some MPC style samplers out there, but I am mostly looking for something on a keyboard. Any ideas? Also, like the rest of us, I am on a budget. But if it's something that I can get from Sweetwater or Zzounds, at least I can do installments :D

Thanks!
I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Modern Keyboard Sampler

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:33 pm

Are you talking about one shot samples or multisampled instrument sounds that can be played across a keyboard?

The only choices these days for multisampling are workstations, the Yamaha Motif XF (just discontinued but still in stores) and the Korg Kronos.

If you're willing to buy used, the last few generations of workstations would also work: Roland Fantom X or Fantom G, Korg M3, Yamaha Motif, Motif ES, Motif XS.

I'm not current on keyboards that only do one-shot samples so I'll let others chime in on that.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Post by CROYBOY89 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Thank you for the feedback! I have looked into some of those boards, specifically the Roland Fantom X series. They are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but buying used can be hit and miss. But I was really interested in the sampling capabilities of the Casio XW-G1. From what research I've done, it seems that this would probably work. I searched for info on the Casio on this site, and didn't really come up with much. Has anyone tried sampling with it? Or any experience with it at all?

CROYBOY89

Post by CROYBOY89 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Are you talking about one shot samples or multisampled instrument sounds that can be played across a keyboard?
I think I'm talking about one shot samples. :? I want to be able to split the keyboard to a couple different sections with different sounds. (Kinda like Alan Wilder in the "101" vid). I would also like to be able to store them somehow, for quick access for live. I hope that makes sense. Thanks

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 pm

What about the Akai s5000/s6000? It hooks up to any keyboard you want, does exactly what you want, and is dirt cheap. It can even take a hard drive, and auto load your program when your flip the switch, so you just turn it on and it's ready.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:57 am

CROYBOY89 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Are you talking about one shot samples or multisampled instrument sounds that can be played across a keyboard?
I think I'm talking about one shot samples. :? I want to be able to split the keyboard to a couple different sections with different sounds. (Kinda like Alan Wilder in the "101" vid). I would also like to be able to store them somehow, for quick access for live. I hope that makes sense. Thanks
Korg Microsampler.