keyboard sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: keyboard sampler

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 pm

I don't have personal experience owning a V synth, but a lot of people who's opinions I trust love it. The only reason I didn't get one was that it was outside my budget, and I wanted to go vintage. Plus there's something about an akai S series that I just really like. Eventually I would like to pick one up though.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:34 am

commodorejohn wrote:The DSS-1 keyboard is fairly light and plastic-ey. It's not terrible, but it's nothing special. Also, the disk access is agonizingly slow, unless you have one of the rare-ish upgrades for SCSI capability. That said, it sounds pretty terrific (SSM filters plus the Korg digital delay/chorus = gloriousness.)
Yes, I would generally agree with commodorejohn's assessment of it. I would add that, even though mine was cosmetically almost perfect, the keyboard was very noisy. When the keys would return to their original position after being pressed, they would make a clacking noise. But I've found that most '80s Korg keyboards sound that way, and I've owned nearly all of the notable ones -- Poly 61, Poly 800 (I and II), DSS-1, DW6000, and DW8000.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:10 pm

pflosi wrote:IMO, the V-Synth is the best "keyboard" sampler, period. If not even the best digital synth, certainly in my top 5 of all digital synths. You should not overlook it.
+1 to that, well put. The first time I got to muck about in the shops with a V-Synth, I found it to be quite different to anything else I'd played in a long time. The way the sounds moved, and the immediacy of the sample and parameter manipulation - and that was just on the surface. It was almost too many years before I could afford one, but it has never disappointed. Although its method of sampling and sample "encoding" is a little unorthodox compared to others, it doesn't take much getting used to.

Still have my ASR-10 too, always been a solid, reliable, and very flexible sampler.

But as has already been said, to each their own.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.