Junk it or sell it? Ensoniq EPS

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Junk it or sell it? Ensoniq EPS

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:03 pm

So In finally open the old sampler up to figure out what is salvagable now that the OS disk died on me (or the 720DD reader) and now I'm considering whether to fix it and sell it, hopefully break it close... Or scrap parts out of it on ebay and hope for the best, or sell it "as is" with a list of whats wrong.
Why not use a backup? I had like 3 backups and 2 of those were in a higher OS, they are currently MIA along with the "Good disks".

Whats wrong?
Case damage, one of the screw ports, I can attempt a repair, but it will never be as good as the original case, I suspect this was from the very poor packaging I received it under.. (/Never/ blind trade and take some ones work about something.)
Most of the case screws are missing, which isnt a big deal, cause I can find out what they are and order it for little.
Stickers removed. and some front panel logo defacement. That's just vanity stuff.

Whats win?
Works(when I booted it up a bit over a year ago.)
Has all original buttons and sliders.
Display fully intact.
SCSI attached with expander. (no screws holding it in place though. wtf?)
Has all original parts still.
1988 v 1.5 eproms inside.
I've got a few untouched early 90's dd720 disks.
bunches of sample disks.
Bunch of replacement fuses...If they're ever needed.
FD box.
OS disk that works.

What could I do?
Repair the case, hope it doesn't fail. Replace the dd720 disk with USB based OS reader and find a way to port everything onto the USB. Update the Eproms and get matching OS, get a porty floppy drive via USB, Order screws. Estimated costs will be about 105 once its all done. But that'd make it cutting edge as it can go and "future proof" for later buyers.

Updated since I found the OS disc.

It'd still look a bit fugly, but it'd be functional. Even with the poly-AT feature. Which case...I have no idea how much these things go for cause all I ever see are EP-16's and ASR's anymore.

I'm sure there are 12 bit sampler buffs out there interested in a project board.
Personally, I have no desire to use it as I'm quite comfortable using a groovebox or computer in its place. (24-48 spoiled me. :P)

The final option is to junk it, and sell it for parts or something, even though otherwise its perfectly working with some desirable parts.

It weighs 30 lbs so it costs a bit to ship. x.x
Last edited by BlackGnosis on Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Junk it or sell it? Ensoniq EPS

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Sounds like the damage is pretty much just cosmetic damage, plus a disk problem. Definitely NOT time to junk the synth! Someone out there has an EPS that looks great, but doesn't work who might just swap drives & cases and be good to go (or just have a working disk). I would figure out if the problem is the drive, or the disk, and then sell it listing the problems.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Update, after taring my home apart into a massive mess, I found the disks!

Drive works, the original OS disk is...wonky? Maybe I should wipe it and reload the backup disk on it.
device works great.

So now it's working sans those problems.

Also, I have an os 2.49 disk. Haven't tested it yet.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:09 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Sounds like the damage is pretty much just cosmetic damage, plus a disk problem. Definitely NOT time to junk the synth! Someone out there has an EPS that looks great, but doesn't work who might just swap drives & cases and be good to go (or just have a working disk). I would figure out if the problem is the drive, or the disk, and then sell it listing the problems.
Found the disks and did the problem solving.
It works great. I hope that person finds me and hits me up an offer. I've seen these things go for around 250ish, maybe I should relist it for sale here on the forum and go ahead and try nfixing the case, the damaged part of the case is under the lid, the only eye sore is the front panel with part of the Ensoniq logo messed up.

I know I'd be open for trades. especially for a nice sequencer (in before EPS has one, I dun like using it)

If I sell it, I could use the money to buy parts for my other synths and fix them up good as new again.

OS 2.49 test, doesn't load. likely a bad disk. :(

It cuts down the costs a little bit, I can still upgrade it and put nice parts in it. but it seems kinda silly to fix something that isn't broken when its just missing screws and a pretty paint job.

I should nab a soldering iron and start fixing stuff again. Broken things sell for so little after all.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:29 am

Get the thing running, smarten it up (put all screws back in, wipe it down, make as complete as possible, floppies, manual etc.). I tend to restore this type of kit and try and keep it "supported" so everyone can still access this vintage stuff. Even if you (OP) has lost interest in the EPS, a nice clean working one will sell nicely. As you say, faulty kit tends to sell for little money and that is where I come in (and others like me) who love to get this stuff at low prices and fix it!It's not done for greed, profit I personally see it as a tech challenge. We need a low price just in case the item is not repairable (custom chips dies) :geek:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:04 am

I could send you a parts unit...

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Yeh Ashe37 if you mean me, I'll take it! Alas I'm about 8000 miles away. I am currently working on an editor for the EPS16+ and would like an EPS to see if it will work on that too. And an ASR in time once I've got the editor up and running.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:38 pm

No, I meant blackgnosis... heh look at our band names...

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:31 am

BlackGnosis wrote:So In finally open the old sampler up to figure out what is salvagable now that the OS disk died on me (or the 720DD reader) and now I'm considering whether to fix it and sell it, hopefully break it close... Or scrap parts out of it on ebay and hope for the best, or sell it "as is" with a list of whats wrong.
Why not use a backup? I had like 3 backups and 2 of those were in a higher OS, they are currently MIA along with the "Good disks".

Whats wrong?
Case damage, one of the screw ports, I can attempt a repair, but it will never be as good as the original case, I suspect this was from the very poor packaging I received it under.. (/Never/ blind trade and take some ones work about something.)
Most of the case screws are missing, which isnt a big deal, cause I can find out what they are and order it for little.
Stickers removed. and some front panel logo defacement. That's just vanity stuff.

Whats win?
Works(when I booted it up a bit over a year ago.)
Has all original buttons and sliders.
Display fully intact.
SCSI attached with expander. (no screws holding it in place though. wtf?)
Has all original parts still.
1988 v 1.5 eproms inside.
I've got a few untouched early 90's dd720 disks.
bunches of sample disks.
Bunch of replacement fuses...If they're ever needed.
FD box.
OS disk that works.

What could I do?
Repair the case, hope it doesn't fail. Replace the dd720 disk with USB based OS reader and find a way to port everything onto the USB. Update the Eproms and get matching OS, get a porty floppy drive via USB, Order screws. Estimated costs will be about 105 once its all done. But that'd make it cutting edge as it can go and "future proof" for later buyers.

Updated since I found the OS disc.

It'd still look a bit fugly, but it'd be functional. Even with the poly-AT feature. Which case...I have no idea how much these things go for cause all I ever see are EP-16's and ASR's anymore.

I'm sure there are 12 bit sampler buffs out there interested in a project board.
Personally, I have no desire to use it as I'm quite comfortable using a groovebox or computer in its place. (24-48 spoiled me. :P)

The final option is to junk it, and sell it for parts or something, even though otherwise its perfectly working with some desirable parts.

It weighs 30 lbs so it costs a bit to ship. x.x

I had an EPS from 1989-1999. I loved the thing functionally -- as long as it worked. It was EXTREMELY sensitive to overheating, and I'd keep a small clip fan aimed at the heat sink to keep it from crashing. The ASR-10 I bought to replace it was no different, it was almost twice as heavy (I used to gig with these things) and the Analog Main Board died on me, which meant some costly repairs.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:50 am

I've seen them sit for $200, expanded w/hardshell case. They aren't worth a ton but but really cool instruments to have. If I could find one locally at a good price I'd likely jump at it, if it was in decent shape. They pop up here(Seattle area)pretty often but, don't sell, cause owners think they can get $300-500 for them. You might be able to get more in a trade.
Makin' Noises