Yamaha tx16w sampling crushed noise issue

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Uptight Beats

Yamaha tx16w sampling crushed noise issue

Post by Uptight Beats » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:42 am

im learning to sample on my yamaha tx16w but when i've sampled it in to the machine and then use the keys on my keyboard to listen to the sample, its a loud crushed noise thats much louder then the sampled material.
i've tested to record in all different qualitys but the noise is still there.
when i use the disks with sound banks it sound great. its just when i sample stuff the noise is there =/

what do you think? is it broken or is it something ive forgot to do?

and another question, is there any factory setting so i can refresh the machine? maby that can be a solution?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Yamaha tx16w sampling crushed noise issue

Post by madtheory » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:45 am

There's no way to "refresh" the machine because it loads the OS from floppy on boot up. There's nothing in ROM apart the bootstrap sequence.

So before we decide there's something wrong with the machine, let's check your procedure. Answer these questions and we might be able to figure it out for you:
1. Are you using Typhoon 2000 OS?
2. When sampling, are you using the input level meter? How does it look?
3. Is the input level switch set to mic or line?

Uptight Beats

Post by Uptight Beats » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:59 pm

madtheory wrote:There's no way to "refresh" the machine because it loads the OS from floppy on boot up. There's nothing in ROM apart the bootstrap sequence.

So before we decide there's something wrong with the machine, let's check your procedure. Answer these questions and we might be able to figure it out for you:
1. Are you using Typhoon 2000 OS?
2. When sampling, are you using the input level meter? How does it look?
3. Is the input level switch set to mic or line?

1. Yes
2. Yes, but the meter is almost on max even when there is no sound. (pic in the link)
3. It's set to line.

http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/towqfthqgfbkyf/

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Uptight Beats wrote:
madtheory wrote: 2. Yes, but the meter is almost on max even when there is no sound. (pic in the link)
That's not max. Maximum is when it hits the little empty box on the right. Are you saying the meter just sits there and doesn't move? Are you getting this reading when there is nothing plugged in to the audio input? If no, then you have a dodgy audio cable going in.

If yes, does the reading stay the same if you plug out every other cable, including the MIDI and audio outputs? If yes, it could be a bad ground loop. Does it stay the same if you take the TX out of your equipment pile and place it in the middle of the room? If yes, then there is something wrong inside. Most likely a dead/ leaking capacitor or two. That's normal for a machine of this age. Easy to fix if you have some electronics knowledge.

Uptight Beats

Post by Uptight Beats » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 pm

I have sample input and headphones plugged in. Nothing else. It's like you say, it just sits there. it's like there's a signal that i can't hear, only after i've sampled the material.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Have you tried it with nothing plugged in to audio input? What do you get when you sample that? Does it change with different sampling rates?

Uptight Beats

Post by Uptight Beats » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:46 pm

i makes no differens. its no sound but the meter is still up =/

Uptight Beats

Post by Uptight Beats » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 pm

i use the input on the front thats called "sample". should i use one of the inputs on the back instead?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

There are no other audio inputs. It's all audio outputs on the back. Looks like there's something wrong with the hardware. How's your electronics? If you're lucky, it's just a damaged socket. Unlikely, they're very solid. More likely to be some leaking capacitors.

Uptight Beats

Post by Uptight Beats » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:28 pm

would it help if i open it up and take some photos for you to look at? i really want this sampler to work =/ do you think its worth it to get some one to fix it or will it be to expensive because its a old machine?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Opening up is only worthwhile if you intend to fix it your self. Capacitors are not expensive to fix. I take it you don't do electronics work? You'll need to find a local tech.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:09 am

What about loading a sample via floppy? Does it make the same noise on playback, or only when you sample?
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 pm

If you're planning on recapping it, modern caps for the power supply and input board are listed about half way down this page: http://r-massive.cellarseer.com/recappi ... -samplers/

Oh, and I have the service manual too. It's a hardcopy, not a PDF, but if anyone has any circuit questions about the TX16W then I'll try to provide the relevant sections.

glowingfish

Post by glowingfish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Other question then the topic !

Has anyone tried to use Typhoon 2000 O.S. with Emagic Sounddiver ?

I use device ID 1 and midi in and out.

When I do a request I get the 'sysex error'

Maybe the Sounddiver patch is only for the original Yamaha O.S. and not Typhoon ?

Thanks

Regards Aart

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

Yes it for the Yamaha os. With typhoon it is a completely different machine, and typhoon had no sysex support. You won't need it- editing on the Yamaha is a breeze with typhoon. Best sampler os ever.