Ensoniq Mirage sample library?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Ensoniq Mirage sample library?

Postby madtheory » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 am

crystalmsc wrote:There's a new sample pack based on the original Ensoniq Mirage floppy disks https://puremagnetik.com/products/refraktor

No evidence of the classic piano, strings or voices in the demos :(
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby addsuk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:14 am

Hi there - I set up a FB group for Ensoniq Mirage owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/116037472448418/
addsuk

Postby blueknob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Just passing through... a few years ago I wrote an editor for the Mirage. I seem to recall the Mirage can store 8 wavesamples per half. So it can hold 16 wavesamples at one go. As per the drum kits. So I would think a floppy could hold 3 x 16 wavesamples.

Then I added a wav dump function where I could send/receive any of those 16 wavesamples to my PC. Remember the Mirage uses a big signal in the wav to tell it where the "end of loop" is.

Like many of these samplers, the raw wavesample sounds best when played by the Mirage, as I found, just as with the EPS16+ they need tweaking (over EQ) to get them sounding reasonable.

Many of the PD sounds were poo, only the the official library was any good. There were a few random sounds that were good. I think the Mirage needs that dedication like the DX7 to get the best out of it. There is probably a Uni Degree in Mirage Programming by now :lol:
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby Baus » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 pm

I think a lot of Mirage (and Ensoniq) users are already part of the Ensoniq Users Group on Facebook. We have some very knowledgeable people there.

Yes Blueknob, I am currently doing a 'Masters' on the Mirage....I am working on a series of Mirage Tutorials using OS 3.2, Masos and the Soundprocess OS

You are right, the Mirage holds 8 wavesamples per bank. However each voice consists of 2 oscillators and 2 additional oscillators are used for the looping part of each wavesample so it's basically a 4 x 8 = 32 voice machine. The cool thing? Soundprocess makes use of this and completely rewrites the original Mirage architecture.

I already have some tutorials and sound demo up on Youtube about Soundprocess and, as I said, now working on a new series.

Robin Bausewein.
Baus

Postby the professor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 pm

elsongs wrote:Does anyone offer the original Ensoniq Mirage sample library in Konakt format?

We at Rhythmic Robot are currently discussing doing exactly this with the nice guys at Syntaur, who hold the distribution rights for the Mirage factory soundset. (Previously we Kontakt sampled the Emulator II Universe of Sounds collection, which went really well, so this seemed like a nice follow-on.) We're agreed in principle and hope to start work on it this month.

The sampling would be out of a real Mirage, at 24-bit (kind of overkill, but hey), and chromatic – ie, every single note of every single factory patch. Where the Mirage's filter is active on a patch, we'd multisample at various velocity levels to capture that: basically, an identical process to the one we used for the EII.

I really hope this is going to come off. If you're interested, take a look at our site ( http://www.rhythmicrobot.com )and perhaps bookmark us; with luck, we could have something by early 2018 8-)
Rhythmic Robot Audio Kontakt instruments pumping new voltage into old technology!
the professor

Postby madtheory » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm

That is great news. Best team for the job :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby the professor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:08 am

the professor wrote:
elsongs wrote:Does anyone offer the original Ensoniq Mirage sample library in Konakt format?

We at Rhythmic Robot are currently discussing doing exactly this with the nice guys at Syntaur, who hold the distribution rights for the Mirage factory soundset. (Previously we Kontakt sampled the Emulator II Universe of Sounds collection, which went really well, so this seemed like a nice follow-on.) We're agreed in principle and hope to start work on it this month.

The sampling would be out of a real Mirage, at 24-bit (kind of overkill, but hey), and chromatic – ie, every single note of every single factory patch. Where the Mirage's filter is active on a patch, we'd multisample at various velocity levels to capture that: basically, an identical process to the one we used for the EII.

I really hope this is going to come off. If you're interested, take a look at our site ( http://www.rhythmicrobot.com )and perhaps bookmark us; with luck, we could have something by early 2018 8-)

AND IT'S DONE :lol:

The entire Mirage factory soundset in Kontakt form! Every single note of every single patch, sampled chromatically and often at multiple velocity points to capture the proper behaviour of that all-important analogue filter. It's a pretty huge library, but it sounds fantastic – all credit to the original patches. Plus it's been done with the full endorsement and blessing of Sam over at Syntaur, who holds the license to distribute the sounds, so you can have fun guilt free :lol:

It's all up for grabs (or just a listen if you're not a Kontakt person) here:

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/sahara

We've also got some other cool stuff, so... you know, take a look ;)
Best wishes,

The Professor (and Mongo)
http://www.rhythmicrobot.com ...Kontakt instruments with character!
Rhythmic Robot Audio Kontakt instruments pumping new voltage into old technology!
the professor

Previous

Return to Samplers