Strange Result Stacking 2 Pulse+ Monosynths

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Strange Result Stacking 2 Pulse+ Monosynths

Postby Fauxstradamus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi:

I have two Waldorf Pulse Plus monosynth modules and I was finally able to figure out how to stack or chain them together with midi to function as one paraphonic (if that's the right term) synth . . . Well, sort of. I am wondering if any of you can help me figure out why I get this strange alternating note volume and timbre effect . . .

I can play and hear two notes at the same time, which I'm happy about . . . but I'm getting this weird alternating effect. If I play the same note repeatedly, every other note sounds different. Depending on the patch I've selected, the aftertouch alternates or the volume or timbre alternates. Even when I put both synth modules on the same patch. I am using a Korg Z1 as my midi controller, running MIDI into the first Pulse (and MIDI out to the Z1) and MIDI THRU to the second Pulse Plus.

Depending on the patch I select on the first (master?) Pulse Plus, I may get aftertouch only on every other note I strike . . . or, on some patches, I get aftertouch on every note, but the particular aftertouch effect alternates with every note. In other words, if I play four notes successively, the aftertouch on notes one and three is the same and the aftertouch on notes two and four is the same. Also, it seems like every other note I strike is a little louder and more percussive. It almost seems like instead of one synth being the master, there is an alternating master thing going on??? They are taking turns with every other note.

I realize that I do not have both Pulses set up exactly the same way in the modulation matrix, but I assume that one should be the master and one the slave.

Do any of you have any thoughts about why I'm getting TWO ALTERNATING SOUND EFFECTS? The main/basic patch sound is not alternating but the volume, timbre and aftertouch effect are alternating with every note. How can I stop this from occurring?

Thanks!!
Fauxstradamus

Re: Strange Result Stacking 2 Pulse+ Monosynths

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:03 am

Using MIDI THRU means that both Pulses respond to the exact same messages (unless they are on different MIDI channels). The "slave" is not seeing any MIDI data at all from the "master". In other words, every time you press a key on your Z1, both Pulses will play that note. You should simply hear a layer of the two sounds.

I have no idea what you hope to accomplish when you mention "paraphonic". Do you have paraphonic patches on both Pulses?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Fauxstradamus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Meatball:

I do not hear two synths playing the same note. I play two notes and I hear two notes. If I had three Pulse synths, and they all had the latest operating system, I could link them together and play a major chord.

The latest operating system of the Pulse added a stacking feature enabling one to connect two or more Pulse modules and operate them like a polyphonic synth. I recently purchased and installed a version 2.01 EPROM chip in the module that did not already have it.

So now, as expected, I can play two notes at the same time using these two monophonic synths linked together.

But what I did not expect is the strange alternating effect I described in my post.
Fauxstradamus

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:33 pm

OK, I'll assume you have connected the units as instructed by Waldorf. You did mention paraphonic when you are actually operating polyphonically. Is this the synth you are referring to?

True analog voices will never sound identical when each comes from a different synthesizer, even when they are the same make and model. Since the Pulse is mono, the master should pass every other note to the slave. That would create the behavior you are hearing, every other note is slighly different.

You can even hear this in the Dave Smith Evolver which has two filters in the same synth...silence the oscillators and drive the filter into self oscillation and you can hear the pitches beating.

Try this:

-- Silence all DCOs
-- Set the amp EG A= 0, D = 0, S = max, R = max
-- Set the filter resonance to max and cutoff to a low value...about 25%
-- Play the same note twice on the Z1, the first will still be releasing when the second starts
-- You will probably hear the pitches to be slightly out of tune...that would be NORMAL

The more modulations you add to patch and the more extreme those modulations are, the more each synth will differ in volume and timbre.

As for volume, matching the volume precisely between the two synths is probably impossible. This was certainly the case with my old Vermona Perfourmer which was four monosynths played polyphonically from a single MIDI interface.

Analog polysynths require extra circuitry to keep the sound of all the voices identical. Monosynths never have such circuits since they are not needed.

Any other Pulse owners have any comments?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Fauxstradamus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 am

Thank you very much, MB.

Yes, that is exactly what my two Pulse Pluses look like. That is the one.

I will try your recommended actions.

I wish I could defeat the alternating characteristic, but it sounds like that's not possible.

I don't know why so many people have talked about this linking or stacking thing as being a really cool feature. It would be super cool if you could defeat the alternating thing. But it's pretty annoying bordering on unusable. Makes me wonder why I bought a second Pulse+.
Fauxstradamus

Postby zaphod betamax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Precisely, yes, but very close is a doodle, and I am using the MK2 version.
I try to get them close with the ADSR and cutoff, etc, but anything else is
what I like to humouresly consider "drift"

Even old polys like the OBX never had perfect envelopes between each voice!

meatballfulton wrote:As for volume, matching the volume precisely between the two synths is probably impossible. This was certainly the case with my old Vermona Perfourmer which was four monosynths played polyphonically from a single MIDI interface.

zaphod betamax

Return to HELP!