Friend passed away, please help me backup her RS7000

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Friend passed away, please help me backup her RS7000

Postby insolace » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Hello,

My friend and bandmate passed away last December in the Ghost Ship Fire in Oakland. She was one of the most gifted musicians I ever knew, we had an Italodisco band together and she used the RS7000 live to perform all of the music. She was also very prolific with her solo work, a few years ago she started using an Octotrack but the RS7000 was the heart of her music for over a decade.

We are working to preserve her music and an important step is backing everything up. She once told me that she never removed the RS7000 Smartmedia card because she had lost data once, she said it was very finicky. Years ago I bought her a SCSI drive to do backups, which she did. We still have the SCSI drive and I've bought a Smartmedia reader and a spare 64mb card. What I'd like to do is back everything up onto the SCSI drive first, and then backup the smart media card onto my laptop.

I really don't know anything about the RS7000, so I've read the manual to try and understand the file structure on the card. It looks like she saved most of her music as patterns, she didn't arrange them into songs as she preferred to trigger the patterns live. I can load the patterns and play the songs as she would. It looks like there is a "Save All" filetype that I can get to from the Pattern pages that will save all of the data in memory.

So my questions are...

* What's the best procedure to back up ALL of the data on the Smartmedia card onto the SCSI disk?

* Do I have to individually load each pattern that she has on the card, one at a time, and then save them?

* Is there an easier way to copy the entire Smartmedia card onto the SCSI disk?

* Is there any reason to suspect that the Smartmedia card, which works just fine right now plugged into the RS7000, would lose its data if I removed it and plugged it into my USB Smartmedia reader? Or was she just being paranoid?

Any input would be appreciated, I'm sorry that this is such a simple question but I have to be extremely careful when preserving this data, if it were to be lost it would be gone forever.

Thanks.
insolace

Re: Friend passed away, please help me backup her RS7000

Postby Rasputin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:54 pm

insolace wrote:* Is there any reason to suspect that the Smartmedia card, which works just fine right now plugged into the RS7000, would lose its data if I removed it and plugged it into my USB Smartmedia reader? Or was she just being paranoid?

IMO, a bit of paranoia is healthy in a case like this. Smartmedia is old and potentially flaky (thin and prone to flexing, if nothing else!) plus the compatibility of USB card readers is known to be less than 100%, so it entirely makes sense to attempt backing up the data through known channels *FIRST* before attempting to clone the Smartmedia card via PC.

Again, just my humble opinion, but I wouldn't upset a currently working system until I thought I had a valid backup. Then I'd go for a 1:1 byte-for-byte direct card clone with a card reader.

Oh, and if you choose to go that route and your system sees the card and says it needs to be initialized before use or the like then absolutely DO NOT! That probably goes without saying, but better safe than sorry.

I don't know much of anything about the Yamaha RS7K, so I can't truly advise you on that, sorry, but it is my understanding that in the SAVE page you can simply pick the "ALL" file type to make a master archive of everything -- one monolithic file for the whole machine.
Rasputin

Postby insolace » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is, the "Save All" saves the current state of what's loaded, but you have to load different patterns to play them back. So I'm not at all confident that loading one pattern from the card and choosing "Save All" to SCSI will actually copy all of the data from the card.

What I need is someone familiar with the RS7000 to help me with the proper order of operations. Without any additional info, I'm thinking I have to:

1) Load the first pattern
2) Save that pattern to SCSI
3) Load the next pattern
4) Go to #2 until I've copied all of the patterns

But I'm worried I'm missing something, either a simpler way to do this or perhaps more things that wouldn't be saved by doing it this way.
insolace

Postby madtheory » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Go to the RS7000 group on Facebook.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby insolace » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 am

Funny, right after I posted my latest reply I had the same thought, I've posted this to the group.

Thank you!
insolace

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm

On Yamaha gear like the RS7000, Save All creates an All file and that is indeed the entire state of the machine...all patches, sequences, samples and system settings.

It is possible that the current state of the machine is not all her data so backing up the SM cards is really the best solution. Smart Media is not that unreliable, I used to use it for backing up my Yamaha Motif ES files. I still have backups going back to 2005 on my Mac's hard drive (which itself is backed up).

Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Hopefully you got the situation resolved, but I just wanted to check in to say that if you try to back up the smartmedia card to a computer with a smart media card reader you may find that you have to try several different adapters/readers before you find one that works.

So don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t seem to be recognized with the first card reader you use...

I actually use a Smartmedia to XD card adaptor in my RS7K, but have used smartmedia on my other retro equipment. Smartmedia is prone to bending due to thinness, but is pretty resilient overall. You shouldn’t have an issue if you treat it with kid gloves.

If you hook up a SCSI drive to the RS7K, just realize you may need to turn on the RS7K first and let it boot before turning on the SCSI drive...depends on the SCSI drive... otherwise you may not be able to mount the SCSI drive.

If you get a chance, please post back and let us know how it all worked out.

Cheers!
Tray

Return to HELP!