Casio CZ-5000: Voice Crackling and Going out of Tune

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Casio CZ-5000: Voice Crackling and Going out of Tune

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 pm

You are right, it is glue on the cap. Casio built really good stuff. The caps stay good for a long time :)

Service manual is very comprehensive. You'd need an oscilloscope, at the very least, to check waveforms and the data lines. A logic analyzer would be better. That, with the freeze spray, will show you where the failing IC or dry joint or PCB crack is.

If you've never used a 'scope, take this keyboard to a tech.

melveyr

Post by melveyr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 am

Something else interesting about the symptoms...

So as reported earlier it appears to work fine if in 'solo' mode. However, in 'split' keyboard mode the lower half of the split also appears to work, but of course this limits me to 4 voice polyphony. The 'upper' part of the split is a complete mess and appears to have all of the screwed up voices. Does anyone know if casio CZ divides up voices between different pieces of hardware or should they all be calculated on the same chip???

Just so that i can still jam out I just have split keyboard set so that the lower half takes up the full keyboard. Will diagnose further when cooling spray arrives.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:23 am

The test waveforms in the service manual, with a scope, will answer that question. Or you could get lucky with the cooling spray... if you figure out where the voice assignment is done, please share! Although I imagine everything is centralised in the CPU.

melveyr

Post by melveyr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Cooling the chips didn't seem to help. For now just enjoying it as a 4 voice synth until i decide to take it into a tech :|

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 pm

:(

melveyr

Post by melveyr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 am

madtheory wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:24 pm
:(
Yeah... Really appreciate everyone's advice though! Will be sure to report back with a jam video if I ever get Mr. Casio to sing again :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 am

:D