Behringer BCR2000 to control SixTrak - how to set the value ranges?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
syevad

Behringer BCR2000 to control SixTrak - how to set the value ranges?

Post by syevad » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:51 pm

I've just started using the Behringer BCR2000 to program the SixTrak...

When programming the various knobs on the BCR the minimum and maximum values for each parameter can be set from 0 up to 127. This works perfectly with e.g. the SixTrak's Cutoff filter (which has indeed a range from 0 to 127) and the display on the Behringer and the SixTrak do match exactly...but then when dealing with other parameters which aren't from 0 to 127 (e.g. Coarse Frequency is from 0 to 48) then the displayed value on the Behringer do not match with the one shown on the SixTrak (it shows as double on the Behringer).
I thought of setting the Behringer's knob according to the min/max values of the SixTrak's relative parameters (e.g. setting min. to 0 and max to 48 for the Coarse Frequency mentioned above) but the actual value outputted (and heard) is only 24 when turning the know on the Behringer to full throttle. I've tried other ways: e.g. setting the max value on the Behringer to 96 (double of 48) and similar attempts...but it doesn't work.

What's going on? Is there a way to ensure the exact/required values are sent to the SixTrak?

Probably there is an easy way when using the Behringer in conjunction with a PC but I'd like to know if there is a way of getting the right parameters' feedback when using only the SixTrak and the Behringer - and here probably is the key of the problem as the SixTrak doesn't send parameter values?!.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Behringer BCR2000 to control SixTrak - how to set the value ranges?

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm

I'd use some sort of MIDI monitor program and see what range of CC values the BCR actually sends. The lack of feedback is definitely a PITA, but that's standard with hardware.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

syevad

Post by syevad » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:10 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:16 pm
I'd use some sort of MIDI monitor program and see what range of CC values the BCR actually sends. The lack of feedback is definitely a PITA, but that's standard with hardware.
I wanted to stay away from the PC but yours is a valuable hint - MidiOx should give some clues of what's going on...
Then the SixTrak is the only one I know so far which doesn't send CC parameters via Midi - then considering it is one of the Midi's pioneers (the first MIDI multitimbral for sure) and so, lot of respect to a MIDI's o.a.p (we forgive the thing). Still, with all those controls and functions on the Behringer...there must be a way to take different ranges into account?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:51 pm

In those days most of the interest was in letting computers control the synths (both sequencing and voice editors), so sending MIDI data when changing parameters wasn't something people were thinking about much. Certainly not CCs, sysex was used in some cases like the Juno 106.

Even if you don't want to work with DAWs, a computer is always nice to have around for data backup, voice librarians, MIDI monitors, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:32 pm