Korg M1 unresponsive with INT and PROG lights

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ckrallman

Korg M1 unresponsive with INT and PROG lights

Post by ckrallman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:02 pm

I dusted off a Korg M1 that had been in storage for many years, with some of those years in a seaside home. To my surprise, it powered right up. The INT and PROG lights were illuminated and it displayed, "KORG Music Workstation M1 #24". Unfortunately, beyond that, it's completely unresponsive. There are no sticking keys or buttons. It emits no sound and, regardless of what button(s) I press, the display remains unchanged.

I opened the case and found the inside of the unit to be pristine. There was no corrosion or even dust. In fact, it looked as-new. I checked that all connectors were properly seated (they were) and replaced the backup battery. I saw no visible damage to any of the PCB's, components, or cables.

I put it back together after changing the battery and checking the connectors and got the same result. Does anyone have any idea what I should try next?

desmond

Re: Korg M1 unresponsive with INT and PROG lights

Post by desmond » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 am

How to Initialize (reset), and preload on the Korg M1:-

Initialization: Hold Int, Card and Combi while turning it on.
Preload: Card Load (MPC00P)
ROM Check: Hold INT while turning it on.

ckrallman

Post by ckrallman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 pm

desmond wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 am
How to Initialize (reset), and preload on the Korg M1:-

Initialization: Hold Int, Card and Combi while turning it on.
Preload: Card Load (MPC00P)
ROM Check: Hold INT while turning it on.
Thanks, Desmond. I tried these button combos, but without effect.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 pm

ckrallman

Post by ckrallman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:47 pm

@madtheory - I saw that thread, but the actions required are a bit above my pay grade. I was hoping, perhaps unrealistically, for a fix that didn't require a meter and a board component change.

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm

If it can't be resurrected with a reset, then it's faulty for some reason, which will require some expertise (or a tech) to open it up and look to determine what the problem is, and thus how to fix it.

Whether the value of the synth is worth sending it to a tech is debatable, so I guess it really depends how confident are you in your electrical troubleshooting skills?

ckrallman

Post by ckrallman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 am

Thanks, Desmond. The answer to your question is I'm not confident at all and the keyboard is currently in the Virgin Islands, so I guess that seals its fate!

dbtx

Post by dbtx » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:58 am

Hello, here is a shot in the dark: it seems the system freezes solid during its initialization. IMO the low-hanging fruit here is the OS EPROMs, IC32 and IC23.
Are they socketed as usual & thus removable? if so, did you try reseating those as well? If that didn't change anything, it's also remotely possible that some bit rot occurred over time, corrupting the code-- since the chips are erasable. You could try replacing them, as they're on eBay for relatively little (around $20 US).

ckrallman

Post by ckrallman » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:00 pm

Thanks, DBTX! The eproms are seated well in their sockets, but I'll look into ordering new ones.