SOLVED: Kawai K4 ROM upgrade; replace key; battery

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

SOLVED: Kawai K4 ROM upgrade; replace key; battery

Postby KayfourTX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:48 am

Update: Mission accomplished, targed achieved, luckily!
It took some patience to get off the EEPROM using 2 flat screwdrivers. Then, in order to replace a broken black key (one of two plastic hooks was broken), I had to detach the keyboard from the outer case. There were always some wires in the way (I unplugged two flat cables eventually), but luckily I did no harm to the machine.
I also happily figured out how to shift out the battery (it hat still 2.8 Volt) and replaced it by a new but cheap one (will it last that long as well?). All screwed back in place, just 2 screws missing now rattling within the case :(

Todo: Order some matching spare screws and take off the loose screews.

The system starts up (1.4! fine!) and there is just one default sound (K4 single) sounding like a simple percussive organ.

hi folks,

back in the 1990s, I bought my Kawai K4 synthesizer. It is still working, just one black key gets stuck from time to time, and the very first firmware version 1.0 produces clicking filter noises.

Now, I got a hand on a replace key and also a friend of mine sent me the latest firmware on a ROM chip. I am just about opening up the device and trying to fix whatever I can. Doing so, the battery should be replaced as well, I suppose.

Questions (please):
  • Do you have any hints (to prevent damage)?
  • Do you know of any howto video clips?
  • Does replacing the ROM (for sure: replacing the battery, right?) reset the internal sound bank?
  • How can I know which pins are left or right in the ROM socket?

Thank you very much.
kay

----
First hints I received:
KayfourTX

Gear: K4, TX7

Re: SOLVED: Kawai K4 ROM upgrade; replace key; battery

Postby blueknob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm

I bought a K4 from a member on here recently. It needed repairs which when done revealed quite a nice synth. I did the OS update too, the hex file came from Kawai Germany, I used an old BIOS chip from an old 486 PC, it all worked fine. I have the keyboard version, there are two OS versions.

It has a few minor flaws, mostly pops on key down, even when the wavesample is delayed by a few points the pop is still there. Apart from that, it's a nice kbd. I currently take it to band rehearsals mostly as it makes a lot of interesting sounds and also because it weighs nothing. It fits in an old guitar case I have so case+K4 that weighs very little.

Some of the gear-minded band members look at the K4 and deem it as a cheap and nasty object (they just want to see top brands - morons) - but mine is programmed with interesting sounds. Besides, the guitarist has all the top brands, and plays like a novice :lol:
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby madtheory » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:26 pm

blueknob wrote:It has a few minor flaws

IIRC that is what the final ROM update fixed?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby blueknob » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Well that's what I read and why I made the effort to update the OS. Version 1.4 was supposed to fix the popping/clicks at the start of some waveforms but alas not in my case. Unless I really don't have 1.4 in my K4, however on bootup, there it is in the LCD, Version 1.4.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Return to HELP!