What's Wrong With My Juno-106?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Lester Drek

Re: What's Wrong With My Juno-106?

Post by Lester Drek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:32 pm

jxalex wrote:I hope You are right Madtheory. Just one particular line got me to jump, becouse it indicates, possibly, the kid could not stay away from tweaking inside...
Lester Drek wrote: Can I use the oscilloscope to correct the volume issue or does it only show me the volumes? I do have some patches that are much lower than others, even when adjusting all the parameters.
Whatever that "adjusting all the parameters" means, and with oscilloscope besides... Lets hope it was just limited to faders on the synth front panel only and not inside the synth. ;)
Parameters as in all the knobs, making sure the VCA wasn't just turned down or something.

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

I've been watching syntegrator's youtube series and it is very clear and helpful. I haven't started any work yet as I am waiting on my scope probes and multimeter to come in later today.

This work is very specific and meticulous, but doable. I've never soldered before, so I'm going practice on an old motherboard I have like I said earlier. What can I do to practice using the multimeter and oscilloscope?

And what does adjusting the trimmers mean? I'm hoping these questions aren't going to leave you all thinking I'm hopeless. I'm not stupid, I'm just new haven't learned about this type of stuff yet.

Do I correct the voltage with a function on the multimeter or does it only serve to give me the readings of the volts?

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:03 pm

I have some guitar pedals that I can test the equipment on.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Lester Drek wrote:I have some guitar pedals that I can test the equipment on.
Find service manuals for broken or cheap stuff you have. Go measure stuff with the multimeter.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... multimeter

Measurement:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/dcc ... dcp_3.html

Read almost all of these:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/

There are more. Electronics is well covered on the web. Tutorials like these are usually better than YT videos!

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 am

madtheory wrote:
Lester Drek wrote:I have some guitar pedals that I can test the equipment on.
Find service manuals for broken or cheap stuff you have. Go measure stuff with the multimeter.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ho ... multimeter

Measurement:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/dcc ... dcp_3.html

Read almost all of these:
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/

There are more. Electronics is well covered on the web. Tutorials like these are usually better than YT videos!

Thanks so much

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:26 pm

Just an aside, but it's still hard for me to get my head wrapped around the idea that a 106 is a valuable enough synth that you have to be careful working on one... but I guess that's the way it is these days. After 35 years, working examples of almost anything get scarce.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:45 pm

cornutt wrote:Just an aside, but it's still hard for me to get my head wrapped around the idea that a 106 is a valuable enough synth that you have to be careful working on one... but I guess that's the way it is these days. After 35 years, working examples of almost anything get scarce.
I mean, anything of high monetary value is valuable to me... I wouldn't want to just be careless and act like it wouldn't be a big deal if I ruined a thousand dollar synth. Especially since I'm a broke high schooler lol.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Lester Drek wrote:
I mean, anything of high monetary value is valuable to me... I wouldn't want to just be careless and act like it wouldn't be a big deal if I ruined a thousand dollar synth. Especially since I'm a broke high schooler lol.
Oh, I know. It's just that I'm an old fart and I can remember that back in 1995 you couldn't get $50 for a 106. That's why I still have mine. :lol: How things change.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 pm

I guess things were different in Europe. I payed 400 for my first Juno 106 in 95 and sold it two years later for 450 :)
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:04 pm

Nope, my first 106 was actually 300, in 95. My second was 400, in 2007...
Herrare umanum est.

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:22 am

Wow that's crazy

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:48 am

Mooger5 wrote:Nope, my first 106 was actually 300, in 95.
Yes as I recall that was kinda the price for an unfashionable keyboard synth at the time. I bought a Casio CZ-5000 for the same money in 94. Way better than a Juno- multitimbral and an 8 track sequencer :o :lol: I'd already bought a Yamaha CS5 for £50. A DX7 or a D50 was still approaching £1000.

OB8 and JP8 were around £600 but the P5 was still valued IIRC, as was the MemoryMoog. Samplers were another story- nothing multitimbral for under £1000. Which is why I ended up with a Yamaha TX16W.

But it didn't take long (a year maybe) for people to cop on to the house/ techno revolution, then all those synths got valuable again- especially Roland, starting with 909, 808 and 303.

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:04 am

madtheory wrote: I bought a Casio CZ-5000 for the same money in 94. Way better than a Juno- multitimbral and an 8 track sequencer :o :lol: I'd already bought a Yamaha CS5 for £50. A DX7 or a D50 was still approaching £1000.
D50 and DX7 with such price at 1994 ??

(no april jokes about this, please....)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:57 pm

DX7 no, you're right. But yes, the D-50. It was only 6 years old.

Lester Drek

Post by Lester Drek » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 am

UPDATE:

I've been following syntegrator's tutorials and the calibration is going well. However, after testing the voices today, I noticed a few errors.

VCA Level is too loud and doesn't turn all the way off when set to 0. I messed up the res more, it sounds pretty weird and loud. I turned the noise generator up too much too.

The reason I think I messed up the res, is because my analog oscilloscope doesn't give a set volt reading; you have to adjust the ground and voltage cursors on the graph and read it from there. I may have been off when I was doing the peak to peak sine wave test.

When I was adjusting the VCF Width, I couldn't get some of the voices to read 248Hz, because the trimmer physically wouldn't turn any further. Even after doing step 9, which is supposed to change what you did in step 8, I still couldn't get the frequency where it needed to be. Step 9 didn't even really seem to affect what I did in step 8. Any ideas?