Peavey DPM 3 tech info

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Peavey DPM 3 tech info

Post by blueknob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:55 am

I have a DPM 3 that needs help, from reading the service docs, it mentions a "diagnose.dpm" disk and am wondering if anyone has a disk image (a file from which I could make a direct copy). I've seen this disk for sale on eBay but it's in the USA and I would worry that by the time it got through all the xray and metal detectors machines it could just end up as a "blank formatted diskette" (that's Mirage speak) :lol:

Also any circuit diagrams. I've asked Peavey but not had a reply yet.

Thanks

Rasputin

Re: Peavey DPM 3 tech info

Post by Rasputin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm

blueknob wrote:I have a DPM 3 that needs help, from reading the service docs, it mentions a "diagnose.dpm" disk and am wondering if anyone has a disk image (a file from which I could make a direct copy). I've seen this disk for sale on eBay but it's in the USA and I would worry that by the time it got through all the xray and metal detectors machines it could just end up as a "blank formatted diskette" (that's Mirage speak) :lol:

Also any circuit diagrams. I've asked Peavey but not had a reply yet.

Thanks
Well, if you want, I can purchase the disk and image it and then send it to you. I think we should compile all the Peavey DPM series stuff (firmware, service manuals, etc.) as it's not particularly available.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 pm

That's a good idea Mr R, I assume you're in the US of A. I'm happy for this to proceed as I know you're just as much of a geek as me (a compliment) so I feel assured making an image etc. offers no challenge, meaning it will happen. Money will change hands naturally ;)

I'm unsure yet if a Peavey DPM floppy format can be duplicated on a PC, I'd be using an old Win98Se machine as they use the 750kb disks. Tests for the upcoming days methinks.

So far I have the DPM3 now all working except for the effects which produce a ton of hiss when switched in. I think I can hear them working (delay, reverb, chorus) but are swamped by hiss (analogue stylee hiss). I currently suspect the DSP chip, a 56000 chap or it's external memory chips and the diangostic disk should identify if either are the culprit.
I've had this problem before where digital effects cause an analogue type hiss that swaps the signal, it is a puzzle as everything is digital up to the DAC, then when the FX are switched off, all noise gone. And this is after a full reset.

By chance I do have a spare 56000 chip to hand but not sure if that is 100% ok. This disk would help.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 pm

blueknob wrote:I'm unsure yet if a Peavey DPM floppy format can be duplicated on a PC, I'd be using an old Win98Se machine as they use the 750kb disks. Tests for the upcoming days methinks.

By chance I do have a spare 56000 chip to hand but not sure if that is 100% ok. This disk would help.
Keep in mind that I don't own one, but (as far as I am aware) not only can it be duplicated on a PC, but I believe it is standard DOS DSDD 720K format, so no special tricks or software should be required.

Here's all that I have on the DPM 3 series (VSE members -- please contribute if you have anything to add!):

DPM 3SE Diagnostics Guide:
DPM 3 SE Owner's Manual:
DPM 3 schematics:
EPROM replacement instruction:
DPM 3 SE+ addendum:
Diagnostics Floppy:

Seeing that you have an otherwise working board, we should at least be able to add one version of firmware to this.
Last edited by Rasputin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueknob

Post by blueknob » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 am

Wow! thanks for the circuits Mr R, that helps a lot. My DPM3 has version 2.3 which I could read and save as a hex files, although I'm not sure if that is a worthy version or not, but I'm willing to offer it. I could take a photo of the memory expansion board too, mostly for reference.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:54 am

blueknob wrote:Wow! thanks for the circuits Mr R, that helps a lot. My DPM3 has version 2.3 which I could read and save as a hex files, although I'm not sure if that is a worthy version or not, but I'm willing to offer it. I could take a photo of the memory expansion board too, mostly for reference.
I would definitely welcome both contributions.

blueknob

Post by blueknob » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:01 am

Just a quick note to say that I've done a few tests and it seems as you say, the floppy is all DOS. So... it just maybe be possible for us to treat this diagnose.dpm file just like any other. nice.

******** UPDATE**********
Mr R bought that diagnostic disk from eBay (US) on my behalf and sent me over (UK) the files it contained :thumbsup:

I ran the diagnostic test and it found the fault to be with the two FX memory chips. Upon removing the chips it was clear one of the socket pins was severly corroded, in fact upon closer inspection, it had completely rotted away. I ran the two SRAM chips through my chip tester which proved the chips themselves were good. So after a clean and patch up job, the Fx now WORKS!!!

Hurrah! (a cheesy British saying) I've saved this DPM3 from the skip (UK)/dumpster(US), I know the owner will be delighted.

It seems the owner had a tech guy replace the battery, who did a nice clean neat job.. but who didn't clean up the excretions (battery poo) which migrated across the PCB and duly rotted metal parts.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:00 am

Do you have a copy of diagnose.dpm you could share, just got one of these with no output.
Thanks,
jason

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 am

nosaj wrote:Do you have a copy of diagnose.dpm you could share, just got one of these with no output.
Just added it as the last entry in post #4 of this thread, friend.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks so much, next issue find a couple floppies and a drive.

On another note to reload the system software can that only be done by floppy or could it done over Midi?

Thanks,
Jason