JX-3P: Chorus trouble and broken presets?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
jeff_l_sp

JX-3P: Chorus trouble and broken presets?

Post by jeff_l_sp » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:02 am

Disclaimer: I am a complete newbie when it comes to all things synth, and yes I know I shouldn't be buying old machines then...

Got a Roland JX-3P today, but there are some issues with it and I'm not sure how (if at all) they can be fixed. I thought maybe someone with more experience could know something here:

1) The Chorus effect seems to be permanently switched on, even though the button lights up and darkens just as one would expect. I also tried using the PG-200's switch to no avail. What is the most likely cause for this?

2) Moreover, I think the chorus is faulty: if I crank up the volume I am greeted by this nice swirly white noise:
https://soundcloud.com/user-12401075/chorus
Some presets have some crackling which goes away if I turn down the VCA's volume. I suspect this is also due to the faulty chorus: the previous owner added a mono out from the motherboard and there the crackling is gone. I did a topic search and there were some people on here reporting the same problem, but I found no instructions on how to fix this.

3) This is the most puzzling to me: Some of the presets sound completely busted, while others seem just fine! Here's an example of the A3 Organ 1 patch, which I don't think is supposed to sound that way:
https://soundcloud.com/user-12401075/a3-organ-i
I am completely lost here. Is the memory faulty? Most of the other presets sound just like they should, so I don't know where else to look.

I already opened the JX3P and the circuits look fine, no visible damage. Again, I have almost zero experience with synths, so I might have missed something obvious here.
Thanks in advance!

JeEA

Re: JX-3P: Chorus trouble and broken presets?

Post by JeEA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Correct organ I does not sound right.
There is something wrong with Your jx-3p

Now i guess it sounds like that without pg-200 swichted on
and metallic selected ;-)

Maybe the memory needs a new battery. Now this being a preset
I guess it is In a ROM. So this alone is not it.

I used to have one many years ago.

How does the board look where the previous owner has added a mono out?