Roland D-70 help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Arodd2000

Roland D-70 help

Post by Arodd2000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm

I got from my grandfather a Roland D-70 to play around with and hopefully fix the unresponsive keys. I have never used synthesizers before, but am pretty good with electronics. I am wondering how do I learn how to program this thing to make my own sounds. I know how to play the prerecorded patches(that might not be the word I'm looking for.) Everything is confusing and I don't know what I'm looking for in manual. I would like to hopefully play around and make sounds like in classic songs such as Jump and Baba O'Riley, but I don't know how to. Or would it be easier for my to get a midi to usb and just use lmms or another software?

jarris

Re: Roland D-70 help

Post by jarris » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Hello! Non-playing keys are quite common in Roland tools. You need to disassemble the keyboard, remove the rubber contacts, clean it thoroughly, and then carefully remove it. How to program your own sounds is another chapter. If you're starting out, try first to change the company's sounds to your liking. I do not want to spoil you. Before you learn how to program this synth at 100%, you'll be doing it for many days. I wish a great deal! jarris

Quartz

Re: Roland D-70 help

Post by Quartz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I've had a D-70 for many years now and have repaired it, rebuilt it, and mucked around with it for just as long. I just can't bring myself to let it die because it's done me well. If I could find another, I'd probably buy it too.
One thing I have done often is clean and/or replace the rubber strips and contacts under the keys. It's a little bit of a process but once you do it once, you never forget. Syntaur I think still has the contact strips you can buy.
I recommend your first purchase is a really long shank Philips screwdriver :) if you don't have one.
As far as programming, it's a little bit of an adventure as well. Kind of like the movie "Inception". Deeper and deeper you go.
Hope you enjoy. Some of the sounds on this synth are still amazing.
And if you can get it to do "Baba", I'll be really impressed! I just bought a TLO-1 to sample so I could get "Baba" and "WGFA".