Kawai PS-101U AC power adapter alternative

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Kawai PS-101U AC power adapter alternative

Postby raycastile » Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 am

What is the best substitute for a Kawai PS-101U AC power adapter? The input is AC120V 60Hz 17W. The output is DC10V 1000mA. The center pin is negative. I want to use it with a Kawai Q80 sequencer.

Searching Google and ebay turns up many hits for the same Chinese-made replacements that give no technical specs. I don't have confidence in those. There is an ebay seller that lists a PS-101U replacement, but it is one of these generic Chinese power adapters that offer no technical information. And the seller has a lot of negative feedback, especially for things like sending the wrong adapter, or the adapter not working, or shorting out something.

I've found some 10V 1a adapters online, but they have positive center pins. I have not found anything that specifies 10V output, 1a, negative center pin. Of course, finding an actual Kawai PS-101U would be the ideal solution.

I'm in the United States. I would prefer avoiding international shipping. It's not worth spending a ton of money on it.

Thank you for any suggestions.
raycastile

Re: Kawai PS-101U AC power adapter alternative

Postby Rasputin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Try finding an authentic (OEM) Sega Genesis 1602-1 AC adapter. I'm not sure of the barrel connector size, but the specs should be correct. The barrel on the Sega adapter is 2.1mm but I don't know if it will physically fit your Kawai Q80.

That being said, swing by Wally World (or your favorite department store) and pick up a $12 variable voltage adapter with interchangeable tips. Put it on 9V, pick the appropriate tip, orient it for polarity, and you'll probably be fine. I highly suspect actual 10VDC isn't 100% necessary.
Rasputin

Postby jxalex » Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 am

if You can then measure the voltage while the synthesizer is turned on.

With some adapters You may also select 12V (the PSU voltage drop under the load) IF You find that the selected at 9V output produces large amounts of hum (it can be explained that the voltage regulators inside the synth does not have enough overhead to make pulsation free voltage rails). The PSU and synth has some tolerances).
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby raycastile » Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a sequencer, not a synth. It would only be connected to the synths via midi. The only audio involved would be the metronome. I don't know if it would hum under any circumstances.

I don't know how to check voltage, especially in a sequencer. I could ask my local synth tech to do it. I expect to see him in a few days.

I've noticed the variable voltage adapters all go from 9v to 12v with no 10v in between.
raycastile

Postby Rasputin » Wed May 03, 2017 6:24 pm

raycastile wrote:I've noticed the variable voltage adapters all go from 9v to 12v with no 10v in between.

Yep. If you want an actual 10VDC adapter then you'll have to mail-order something probably. But, like I said, I'm pretty sure your Kawai will happily work off 9V. I don't have the schematics for it, but I'd suspect there is a 7805 voltage regulator in there which simply takes the 10V and brings it down to a stable 5V. So a 9V adapter should still be enough over-spec to let the regulator give a good 5V.

I think what jxalex was trying to explain was that these kind of regulators require some overhead to do the job cleanly, so Kawai might have specified a 10V adapter to make sure the 7805 had ample spare voltage to work with, even though a more standard 9V might have done the job. If you try to use an adapter too close to 5V then the regulator doesn't have enough extra voltage to bring down to a perfect 5V, but if it's too high then the regulator will put off too much heat or some other component might not be able to handle the extra voltage. So there's a happy medium. 9V is likely within that range, though.

That's a guess on my part, but a pretty good one. Most of those selectable voltage DC will do around 1.2A, so you're covered there.
Rasputin

Return to HELP!