Simmons SDS1 - Making EPROMS

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Simmons SDS1 - Making EPROMS

Postby darkbill » Tue May 30, 2017 10:11 pm

I found a red Simmons SDS-1 drum (complete with protective cover), like the one pictured below, in a junk shop.

It was lying under a pile of junk at the back of the shop and the guy running the place either didn't know what it was, or if it worked.

He sold it to me for £5

I got it home and wow, it works. It's got one EPROM included (a gated snare).
I'm now trying to track down additional sounds.

The Simmons EPROM Blower which allowed you to create your own EPROMS is very hard to find, and quite expensive.

However, blank EPROMS are apparently quite cheap and you can purchase modern USB EPROM Blowing devices on eBay.

The SDS1 is switchable between 64k and 128k (that was cutting edge back in the day!).

I wonder if anyone can advise me on whether these USB devices would create an EPROM capable of working with the Simmons drum and what type of blank EPROMS to use?

I'm not sure if modern blank EPROMS would be compatible with vintage kit like the Simmons.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys, Still Dies...
darkbill

Gear: EmuII Emax1 Juno106 SY85DX100DX11KX5 ClaviaNordLead ESQ1EPS16+ CZ3000FZ1 DPM3se S5000 K2000r DDD1 SDS1000M Octapad CS80v Waldorf PPG Korg LegacyMS-20

Re: Simmons SDS1 - Making EPROMS

Postby hidperf » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Hello. I was wondering if you ever found an answer to this?
I am the original owner of an SDS1 that I'm bringing out of retirement and would love to find/make some more eproms if possible.
hidperf

Return to HELP!