DX7 sound... Can't find it anywhere - Help?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
audoraaudio

DX7 sound... Can't find it anywhere - Help?

Post by audoraaudio » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project and I am trying to find this particular sound.

https://soundcloud.com/user-751872329/metalhitsdx7

It's the sound that's like a metallic hammer/chifflute kind of sound. I know 99.9% sure it's a DX7, but I've been scouring the internet looking for presets (which I've found a bundle of over 100,000 sounds and I've searched through a vast majority of them) but to no avail.

I was hoping some of your synth-expert vintage ears would recognize the sound that I'm talking about (The other buzzy synth I already found easily enough) and maybe guide me in the right direction? Maybe it's a preset somewhere that I've just missed?

Any and all help would definitely be appreciated. I'm not great with DX7 programming otherwise I'd likely just make it myself.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Re: DX7 sound... Can't find it anywhere - Help?

Post by gcoudert » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:41 pm

I have one that's close-ish. You should be able to edit it to perfection. I will export it as sysex and post a link later.
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:57 pm

GC

audoraaudio

Post by audoraaudio » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Firstly - Thank you SO much for taking the time to get this to me.

I've attempted to load the file but every attempt on multiple machines has failed. Maybe you can guide me to where you found it? Or was this a custom made patch?

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:55 pm

It's an edited version of a patch I have in my TX802. Because, like you I suppose, I built my patch banks from dozens of other banks, finding the original patch would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Besides, I have changed the original patch names!
I will write down the parameters on a patch sheet and post a photo of that instead.
GC

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 pm

OK, try this. It's in the right ball park if you layer, detune and add effects.

GC

audoraaudio

Post by audoraaudio » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 pm

Brilliant! I'm plugging this in right now... Thanks so much again. I really appreciate this!

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:55 am

To increase the 'chiffiness' of the patch, increase the attack (parameter R1) of all three modulators (operators 4, 5 and 6) by decreasing its value to about 65. Leave the carrier (operator 3) as it is. You will notice that this patch only uses 4 operators, as operators 1 and 2 are turned off (zero volume).

Out of curiosity, which incarnation of the DX7 do you use? DX7 Mk 1, TX*16, TX7, DX7S, DX7IID, DXIIFD, TX802, FM7, FM8, Dexed, etc.?
GC

audoraaudio

Post by audoraaudio » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Actually, I use a Korg Kronos. It's got the MOD-7 engine which replicates all of the algorithms of the DX7 and many others, and handles the SYSEX data so I can load the sounds. They sound (to my ear) almost completely identical to the DX7. I compared it to Dexed (which is what I use for creating the sound in the first place how you showed me) and then export the sysex bank to my Kronos.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Oh, yes, the amazing Kronos. That'll explain why you couldn't load my sysex file. The Kronos will only load complete banks, not single voices.
I discovered Dexed recently. It is pretty amazing as a synth, although my DX7 patch banks sound VERY different when imported into it than they do on the TX802. They don't sound bad at all, just noticeably different. I used Dexed to compile 4 banks of 32 favourite individual patches, which it does REALLY well and sent them to the TX via MIDI-Ox (for some reason, Dexed couldn't open the MIDI ports). As soon as I received the synth, it was up and running within minutes with my 128 patches (I have a RAM card). I'm happy to share my banks with you if you want them.
Last edited by gcoudert on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC

audoraaudio

Post by audoraaudio » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks so much!

Yes - that would be incredible. I tried loading the single sound into Dexed too but still no love. I figure it's a bank thing instead of a single-sound issue like you mentioned.

There are definitely differences when I compared side by side but the results are easy to massage a little to get what you need working.

At any rate, that would be awesome, and I'm happy to share my collection as well if you want which has over 100,000 sounds (though many are repeats, same sound different name, but there's a lot of options in there to choose from)

Let me know, I'm happy to share as well.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Here are my 4 banks. Bank 1 is from my previous DX7. Banks 2 and 3 were compiled recently from online patch banks. Bank 4 is a 'best of' collection of ROM cartridge patches from the DX7 Mk 1.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Xfe ... DNTeFJrYmM
GC

audoraaudio

Post by audoraaudio » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks again for your help - I'll check these out when I get back in front of my board.

Here's my dropbox share - you're welcome to help yourself to anything in there. Some of them are in Kronos format and I've tried to label it as such.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rqwxuaj4c5g2 ... maJna?dl=0

I have more, and I'll throw them into the dropbox folder as I find them.