Alesis Ion - Dead "Voices"?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Conjure

Alesis Ion - Dead "Voices"?

Post by Conjure » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46 am

Having the weirdest problem with my Alesis Ion.

Intermittently (once every few boots), some of the digital "voices" will fail to output anything. This can happen sometimes when I first boot the synth, or it can happen at any time after it's been functioning fine.

I've had this issue occur during the Test Mode too, where I can see that the keys DO in fact register up/down, yet the test tone (sine wave) doesn't always trigger. So strange.

Here's a video of it happening:

Any ideas? I'm going to try reflashing the 1.06 firmware now, but the synth wasn't doing this before :(

It doesn't always happen in this order either (6th and 7th key pressed triggers a voice). Sometimes it's every second voice, sometimes it's every 6th or 7th.

Conjure

Re: Alesis Ion - Dead "Voices"?

Post by Conjure » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 am

Reflashed the firmware. It was still doing it where one voice wouldn't trigger, intermittently depending on when it booted.

I switched the keyboard curve to Linear High and now I can't get it to do it currently. I'll keep an eye on it.

So weird.

Conjure

Post by Conjure » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Annnnd it's doing it again.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated :)

Conjure

Post by Conjure » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:25 am

Here's the schematic in case anyone else is looking for it:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6MpYbwai1ojbZdgXlQCZPquaP09Q

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:45 am

I guess it could be the DSP chips, but they way they are failing makes me think it may not be that.
I had a problem a while back with my Virus Indigo where the voices were acting funny too. It turned out to be a faulty ribbon cable, but the problem was exactly like you are describing.
I guess worst case scenario you could contact Alesis. I don't know how much help they'll actually be at this point since it's been out of production for quite some time. I just hope it's something that can be remedied. Good luck!

Conjure

Post by Conjure » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 am

krzeppa wrote:I guess it could be the DSP chips, but they way they are failing makes me think it may not be that.
I had a problem a while back with my Virus Indigo where the voices were acting funny too. It turned out to be a faulty ribbon cable, but the problem was exactly like you are describing.
I guess worst case scenario you could contact Alesis. I don't know how much help they'll actually be at this point since it's been out of production for quite some time. I just hope it's something that can be remedied. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply :)

Here's another video of it happening, with some new symptoms that will hopefully pinpoint this :P

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 am

That is really odd....I wish I could give you the answer, but I just don't know.